iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moultrie Feeder Fix

Started by Jeff, November 20, 2022, 09:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

The problems I have had with the squirrels is them chewing holes into the top of the 15 gallon plastic barrels I use. I think they get a hole started then the coons come tear it out even more. Now I cut a piece of aluminum flashing and cut a hope for the cable/rope and put that on top so they can't hold on and get a start.

I assume the squirrels chewed up your spout while it was in storage over the summer. Nice fix BTW.

The feeders I am using now have a mount on the bottom of the feeder barrel and I put them in place and give a quarter turn and they lock in place. I remove the feeders and bring them home at the end of the season and leave the barrels hanging on the cable run between 2 trees. A 15 gallon barrel holds right at 100 lb of whole kernel corn. I hook them to a boat winch bolted to a nearby tree and with a pully on the cable above.

I wish I could find something besides corn to use in the feeder. I need something that will drop and feed that the deer like but something doves and turkeys and such don't like as they steal most of my feed before the deer get a chance at it. I don't mind the woodpeckers and small songbirds getting a little feed but the doves and turkeys will cleanup the whole site and if I set to feed after dark the deer just come when I am not there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

Good fix Boss. For me, I found the bottom of a steel fire pit thing at the dump. 3' di. Put it on a pallet with a roof, dump 40 lb of whole corn in it and let whatever want to eat -eat it, The stuff is cheap. I have friends in town use a 5gl bucket and make feed blocks with all the stuff deer like. Pound it tight with a tamp, flip upside down and have a big block.

Some are old pix, Just to give you the idea.
Always enough to go around.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

The DNR won't let us do that here, in facr the lower penninsula you can't put anything out.

Jeff

During Supper night before last

Walnut Beast

With it looking like that and then the picture of the Thanksgiving fixings. It looks pretty cozy in the Cabin eating and drinking good 😂

Peter Drouin

Will they let you feed the birds? Like sunflower seeds.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!