iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squirrels

Started by kelLOGg, December 02, 2022, 07:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I've killed lots of squirrels with Victor rat traps and peanut butter.

Photo for context. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Big_eddy

Quote from: kelLOGg on December 10, 2022, 12:31:54 PM
Okay, Brad, I won't compete with that. "uncle"

Got my strobe light up 2 days ago and I still have squirrels in the barn, BUT they are not in the vicinity of the light, so my lumber is safe. 8) They are not building nests (yet) but I hear them racing around so I may get more strobes.
My FIL had raccoons in the attic of his shop. Was told to blast loud music every night. He did and they left. I guess they didn't  like AC DC at 3am.
Maybe add some music to your disco lights. The neighbours will think you're a party animal.

Andries

Squirrels took a liking to the garage/shop at our camp in NW Ontario. We weren't there over a continuous period to force an eviction and I was looking for a solution.
An elderly friend in Kenora needed help with his sawmill and during a break he told me that "rodents abhor the sound of the human voice".
Alrighty then, an old radio at low volume, tuned in to Canada's National Public Broadcaster, the CBC. As an old Scandinavian, Henry Rasmussen had a few tricks up his sleeve and that one worked like a charm.
No more rodents, larger or small. 😁
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

kelLOGg

The strobe light worked so well I got a 2nd one for the top of my dry kiln (2nd floor of barn). Ran it and the original one only during the day. I had a hernia repair and stopped climbing the steep barn stairs for a week. Went up yesterday and found a mess of leaves on the lumber rack (but no nest) so the critters are still active. electricuted-smiley
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

Squirrels have completely adapted to the strobe light. This AM I raked 2 bushel baskets from a pile on my lumber that was 4 ft away from the lights. Squirrels are probably wearing welding glasses. ;D
We didn't have this problem until a coyote took out our cat; his presence around the barn kept the critters away. We didn't have a coyote problem until massive development pushed wildlife into our area. 
Back to the drawing board.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

boonesyard

I have a LOT of experience with squirrels and the damage they cause. They can cause more damage than common rats, very destructive.

Once a fox squirrel has established its principal residence or food stash and it happens to cross over with your residence or vehicles, there is only one method that will deter these OCD driven critters,,,, sending them to squirrel heaven.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Les Staley

Don't youse guys like squirrel pie,  frickaceed squirrel,  chicken fried squirrel?  Squirrel and briskets w/gravy?  I know 410 shells are hard to find, but this is ridiculous..  put a high power rifle scope on your 22 and sight it in for a known range....
East Jordan Michigan, Pinedale Wyoming and St Maries Idaho.  Honey, I'm HOME!

tree-farmer

I've got a good recipe for squirrel and dumplings.  (it's a southern thing) Goes good with grits as well. :D 
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

beenthere

Would post that recipe please? Might just have to give it a go. Although, my management plan for squirrels is to take out the skinny gray and red/pine squirrels and let the larger fox squirrels thrive. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

They will come and go here around the buildings. At times they are busy for a few months, then might not see one for 3 years. The neighbor's cats I'm sure clean up on them. I have also found young ones dead as if possibly a male squirrel killed them off. Or maybe died from exposure or who knows. I'm sure they get disease like any animal to.

Males killing young of rivals is apparently a thing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/red-squirrels-infanticide-university-of-alberta-1.4577164
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!