iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2023 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2022, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on February 03, 2023, 05:40:54 AM
Hard to find ERC on the shore. I can get some white cedar and have a customer that is adding a sauna to his new home. Would white cedar be good for a sauna?
White cedar works great, I hav it in my sauna, try to put clear cedar where you sit as  BB has pointed out the lots will burn your tush!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Resonator

That's when up north they cut a hole in the ice on the lake, and jump in... yikes_smiley :o :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Walnut Beast

WV Sawmiller

I've been working on my latest shed extension and sawed 5-6 locust fence posts into 8/4 LE slabs for sleepers on top of my gravel for a floor. I needed 3-4 2X4s for framing so while I was at it I bucked a 13' log off a 23' top I had above the mill. I was able to spin and just roll it downhill to the mill. I got 5 2X4s and one 2X2 strip off the log. I like cutting for my own use as I know whether a little bark is acceptable for for my purpose. Lots of times I have good customers who will grab a board I was going to edge an inch or two off and say "That's fine for what I'll be using it for." I did not bother with a picture of this small cut.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

78NHTFY

Sawed some WP into 1x's a few days ago.  Also got some highly valuable  8) blk walnut from the sticker pile: 20 % moisture on my Wagner MMC 205.  Will have to get it kiln dried before starting on a couple of dining room tables.  Crazy weather will have us from -40°F windchill this morning to +45°F on Monday.  All the best, Rob.

If you have time, you win....

doc henderson

worked on a bit of ERC for raised bed planter at my friend and coworker Shawn's farm.  I will get more logs in return.

he will make them 5 x 13 feet and 30 inches tall.  full 2 x 6 material with 4 x 4 posts to anchor and support the ends and sides.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

I was piddling on my shed extension and stopped to recharge the drill battery and eat a late lunch. A many times repeat customer called and wanted to come get some slab wood. He burns some and uses some for redneck projects. In this case he needed to build a duck pen. I met them and told them I'd be standing clear because my wife has covid and I'd lay odds on me having it too. They were picking through the pile and his young helper said they need 4 posts 8'X4"X4". I told him I did not have any 4X4s but I'd cut him some real quick. I went up in the woods a few hundred yards away and dragged down an 8' poplar upper. I got 3- 4X4s and some side lumber off it including a 2X4 I need to finish my shed framing. Then I cut a 9.5' upper to get the last 4X4 and the side lumber.

The long 2X4s are from 5 I cut 2 days ago. I used the other 3 earlier today on my shed even after being assaulted by one of their siblings. ::) The rest plus the 4-4X4s are what I got today. 

By the time the customer had his trailer loaded I had his 4X4s and threw in some other flitches and such that would work well for his project.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

After 7 weeks of not sawing, I was finally back to sawing a bit today.  

Two 16' and two 18' SYP logs with previously sawn framing lumber in the background.  This was for a many times repeat customer.

1018 bf of 1X6's sawn in 5 hours using two blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lyn,

Were 1X6s the only thing on the cut list? I hate it when that happens and I have to edge a pretty 1X8 or 1X10 down to a 1X6 or throwing away perfectly good 1X4s but if that is what the customer wants, that is what he gets.
Howard Green

Magicman

There was a total of 10 1X4's.  With logs like this in the 24" class it is a simple matter to make a 1X6 cut list with minimal waste.  There was probably 12-15 1X1 stickers that came from edging the jacket flitches.  The only time that I ever charge for stickers is when I saw and entire log for stickers. 

I have no concern/heartburn about possible waste when sawing and meeting a customer's cut list. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ventryjr

A friend of mine just finished putting this Norwood together.  It's quite a nice saw. I shot a few videos of the build and put them on my YT channel. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

doc henderson

Rough few days last week (work) for us both, so my buddy @Cardiodoc came by to mill a big gangly maple tree/log yesterday.  We burned off some steam, and turned out some nice 3 inch slabs.  It was a fun challenge to squeeze it through the gantry, with a little chainsaw work.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

I dragged down this ugly 10' poplar log I had bucked a few weeks ago. I needed some 2X4s for my shed project and will use the 4/4 side lumber for shed walls.

Its a real muddy mess out here. Water was running under the mill yesterday. After I dragged the log down I went back up the hill and did a little blade work to divert the water back into its original course.

I got the 8 - 2X4s I needed plus about 100 bf of siding which will cover 10' or nearly half my recent extension. I had .9 engine hours and 155 bf. Not setting any speed records but I got done what I set out to do.
Howard Green

richhiway

Had to cut a Maple in the yard so I could't help but to saw it.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

doc henderson

richhiway

<br
>ended up with some project parts from a small log.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Thanks Doc. I'm not slow and I'm not fast. I'm sort of half-fast. :D

One trick I used today and nearly always is one I learned from Rich. When I get ready to cut a log I park my tractor with the FEL forks beside the mill and it is a huge time and labor saver especially when I get a big, thick, heavy odd shaped first cut slab off a log. I just slide the slab on the forks without having to pick it up or carry it and at the end of sawing the log I take the slabs and edgings over to the waste pile which saves time and effort. I don't know how we got off on it or why I had not used that technique all along. Sometimes the little things you pick up here make a big difference.
Howard Green

FactorySeconds

Pumping out skids of these Ambrosia Maple ovals right now. I'm not sure I'll ever get bored of this grain.

Walnut Beast

97redjeep

Was so excited to get back to the mill I forgot to take pics, but I did manage to saw up a bunch of 1x6, 1x2 and 2x4s to build a school bus shelter for a friends son. I think it turned out pretty good. 

HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

Rhodemont

Ash 1 x 10.  These are from some logs that Sat since last winter.  The boards stay nice and flat as opposed to the fresh logs.

Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

firefighter ontheside

I went out and milled a walnut log I had sitting on the mill.  I fueled up the mill before I got started and only 2 hours later after I was done milling I noticed I had left the gas cap hanging from the string.  I'm sure no sawdust went in there.  Clearly my head wasn't totally in the game.  In "leveling" the log I inadvetently made it 2" out of level.  I realized that after I was half done with the log.  The log had a big swell at the butt end, so it wasn't obvious just looking at the log that it was off.  Finally I had this odd chunk of walnut that had been in the way of parking a car and my son actually hit it yesterday, so I decided to see what was in it.  I couldn't get any good sized pieces, but I did get some neat looking crotch figure pieces that may be good for turning stock or something.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

Quotenoticed I had left the gas cap hanging from the string.
Wish I had dollar for every time I've done that. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

It was sorta chilly today but I made a 72 mile (one way) trip to saw 7 junky Cypress logs.  I think Leyland Cypress.  

They would not roll so maybe they were not logs at all, but I did say junky.

Mostly 1X12's

Two 2" live edge but I did not actually edge anything.  It went on the trailer as it was sawed.  I knew from the beginning that scaling would be challenging and I would slight myself with hourly so I told him $600.  It actually took four hours including setup and take down.  He was happy and gave me a $100 tip.  :)

https://youtu.be/KOWnh-p52lk
He made a short (out of focus) video.

Ventryjr

Made some 10" cants on my circle mill then took them to a friend who is sawing them into 1" with a Norwood HD36v2

-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Thank You Sponsors!