iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2023

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2023, 01:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Well, here we are, it's 2023, and it's still 40F at this early hour. Some light rain happening.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Spike60

What a difference a week makes. All that cold for Christmas, and now 3 straight days in the 50's with a couple more on tap this week. When the inside temp hit 76° yesterday, I let the stove go out, and it's still out. :)

Happy New Year boys!
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

thecfarm

I have 42° and looks like we did not get enough rain to melt the snow. 
Just making room for more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Everything outside is floating down hill if it ain't tied. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

34° and moisture in the air.  just got home from work, and having an after work beer in the shop before it is bedtime.   bon_fire smiley_beertoast
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Doc, you've mentioned the after work beer a few times and of course anybody that does or did shift work gets it. But every time you mention it I think back to when my daughter was about 2 y/o and my son was just a 'concept'. I was a second shift foreman in a microwave hybrid shop, getting home at about 3am. On Fridays I would come home, wake the wife, and we would put our little girl in the car seat and drive about 2.5 hours north to a trailer we had a permanent site for in a campground. We'd usually arrive between 6 and 7:30 in the morning. The girls would go nap or have breakfast and I would sit on the deck with my beer(s) before bed while the neighbors walked past on their morning 'nature walks' I would wave and say a quiet 'good morning' as they walked past.
 It took me a long time to figure out why some folks were a little rude, or at least, not very cheerful on a beautiful day. Then one day, one of the other wives quietly asked my wife about my drinking problem. :D Nobody knew what our schedule was like and once it was clear we all laughed and I would get cheerful responses to my 'good morning greetings'. Occasionally, one of the guys would joke about my 'drinking problem' and folks who weren't in on the joke would be quite perplexed why everyone was laughing, including me. :D
 So here's to your 'drinking problem', may you have a good night's rest and a great 2023.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

I had a "drinking problem" when I worked nights too.  ;D  We would go to the AMCE Club at 6:30 am. Would be quiet until about 4-5-6 of us with a "drinking problem" would show up.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I think a job with a night shift would do me in to. Although most days I'm in between night and day being an early riser. :D

bigblockyeti

Upper 40's here and a little remaining drizzle.  Tomorrow should be beautiful with a high of 67° and little chance of rain it should be a perfect day for hiking.

Andries

We've had a few days of humidity rolling in from the Dakotas, and 19°F temps during the day, 0°F at night. When that occurs, the trees are covered in hoar frost. Christmas card pretty.
Happy New Year to all you hard drinking working Forumites, wishing you a great 2023!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

Beautiful sunny morning here after a week of rain and another week starting tonight.  The heavy storm left the summit in the Sierras covered with a very heavy blanket of snow.  The pine trees look like folded up umbrellas from the accumulation.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Ray, I did the same thing when we were first married (so '78?). We had a local tavern 3 blocks from our 1st apartment and I was doing a test second shift for 'a few weeks' that turned into 8 months. I would arrive at the tavern just before legal closing, like the others coming from their jobs and we would order a couple drinks to line up, then at legal closing time the window lights went off, the door got locked, and the owner would begin his daily cleanup while the rest of us unwound. Sometimes I would get there just after 3am or whatever legal closing time was and he would front me a few beers but not take payment. The law said he was not allowed to "sell' alcohol after a certain time, it said nothing about giving it away. ;D The next next I would just overpay a little or leave a tip to cover the previous evening/morning. I think there were 4 or 5 of us most nights, probably not the same bunch as you had though. :D :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

I have 38° at almost 7:30pm. Suppose to get just below freezing but right back up to above freezing.

SwampDonkey

Was 32F around supper time last night and still 32F now.

doc henderson

Tom the KUMC hospital in KC, KS has a bar called Jimmies Jigger, just across state line road in KC,MO.  It is a short walk across the street from the medical center.  Jimmie was an umpire for the Royals games.  He invested in the bar, and many times 200 students would go there to have a beer or two after tests.  Often 10 am, after studying all night.  He would come ask if we had a test, and we would tell him about it.  his profile would remind you of the classic Alfred Hitchcock.  He would wonder off, and then 3 waitresses with 200 + shots (not the syringe type) would show up in 5 minutes.  he kept buying the next building and so on, so there was the main bar, then several other larger areas.  He would carry tabs for some docs who could not pay through med school, residency and fellow ship, poss. 8 to 10 years, and then finally get paid.  they made a good cup of coffee if you needed to be up early or work late.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

[img width=500 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--/229/453108159_77145cdcf5.jpg[/img]

newoodguy78

The world needs more people like him. Can you imagine if those walls could talk?

doc henderson

Thank God they cannot! :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Still around 32F today and some light flurries floating around.

thecfarm

A light rain at 38°. The temp will drop to about 25 by morning. Rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow by morning. 
I'll be saying, I'm not use to this cold weather.  :D

SwampDonkey

Had some sun yesterday, first time in 2 weeks and temp was 35F. This morning it's 20F and snow expected later.

Cutting wood and land clearing projects are going on with 2 neighboring hobby farms. One guy clearing a tamarack patch on 1 acre and I see standing water under the machine. Will need tiling or won't produce much. It was abandoned before, hopefully he can get it into shape. The other site is on dry maple ground, 10 acres but the wood ain't all cut. Slow cutter, the wood ain't adding up too quick. ;D

thecfarm

28° and just enough white stuff to cover the ground. I say white stuff, snow, freezing pellets?
I say enough to cover the ground, I can still see grass and leaves on the ground.
But it's not over yet. A fine snow is still coming down. It is supposed to stop soon.

doc henderson

28° here too Ray!   8)

Spike60

Odd mild weather continuing here, 43° for the overnight low. It's now been a full week since it hit the freezing mark here. That'll be ending tomorrow night, and it looks like over night temps in the 20's most of next week. But that's still fairly mild weather for January. Daytime highs will be in the upper 30's.

Funny, but when we had that Christmas cold snap, I thought winter was settling in for a long stay. Not yet. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SwampDonkey

Started snowing a bit ago, might get 2". Another nuisance storm. Snow or don't snow at all. :D

Thank You Sponsors!