iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2023

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2023, 01:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblockyeti

I'm all too familiar with nuisance snow storms.  When I lived in OH we'd get a dusting of snow that was just enough to warrant an inch of salt on the roads which within minutes of hitting the deteriorating pavement, became a disgusting row of slush along the edge of the road.  The pivotal moment when I realized I couldn't afford to live there any longer was when during a decent rain fall at 35° (headed and forecasted to 47° within 4 hours) a city truck was pouring salt out as fast as the spreader would allow.  I did like it when 8" - 12" would fall and we had no need to go anywhere, it was quite attractive but that part was always short lived.

This morning we had 39° at the bus stop confirmed by the thermometer on the front porch while the weather channel was stating 45° representing a discrepancy I've not yet seen.  We should see a nice dry 64° this afternoon and highs mostly in the mid-50's for the next week or so.

thecfarm

No internet for a few days. The rain freezes on the antenna and that is it. Keep getting this rain at around freezing and I will have to wrap a heat tape around it.  :D
Had no sun since the 5th. The sun hit the antenna and melted off the ice and I had the FF again this morning.
We might have got an inch of snow. Been doing something since the morning of the 5. Be a very light mist or some snow for a few hours.
Temps are going to be on the warm side. Only one morning below freezing for a week.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Been 3 days of squalls and not an inch of snow from it. Been upper 20's at night and around 32F for a high these last few days. Sunny and mild tomorrow I think. Well 32 hasn't been too cold either. :D

Head pond is frozen solid on the main river though, but any fast water below the dam and on small creeks is ice free.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Cleared out this morning and the temp dropped to 15F.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

Sunrise here, for the last few weeks has just meant that the sky gets brighter, but today, a few minutes ago, we actually saw the sun come up!
 It's 22° and crisp and clear. Now THIS is good working weather. It's about dang time! What I hate about northeast winters is the dampness and overcast conditions. The snow and cold are easy as long as we get some sunshine. Even now the humidity is 90% outside and that's what gets into my old bones and won't go away.
 I've been in CO when it's 15 below, but dry and sunny and It's easy to work with that, but bring the humidity from below 30% up to 80% and take that sun away and it's a whole different ball game.
 High for today is looking at around 35°, so Now maybe I can get some wood split without changing soaking wet gloves every hour. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

woodroe

Making ice again here. The local 200 acre pond comes alive at night when the temps get in the teens or lower. 15 F last night.
Can hear it making all kinds of out of this world noises as the ice expands. 
Bright and sunny week on tap will help make hot water again too . 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Ljohnsaw

Fortunately, my house is at the top of a hill so water ponding is not an issue.  Last night the winds were howling from the south with sustained 40 mph gusts to 50.  My neighbor's three tall redwoods acted as a windbreak to my place protecting three big oaks next to my house.  The redwoods were swinging wildly around midnight and was sure one was going to snap.  I've got a big tamarack at the top of my driveway (highest spot on the street) and it survived the night.  No damage visible around my place but since the New Years Eve storm and storms coming through every couple days and driving around since then, there are a LOT of trees down all over the place.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

chevytaHOE5674

Been winter UP here although a little bit on the mild side for temps. Highs have been in the 20s and lows anywhere from below zero to 20 above. Had a foot of snow over the weekend. 

SwampDonkey

Well, yesterday I noticed a river otter track near the little brook I walk by. They've been around there for years. There is an old 'haul' road that goes a mile back in there toward Maine. Wildlife use it a lot. Bear and deer mostly, never seen a moose on it though. Lots of coyotes use it. Was a nice clear winter day Sunday, got to 24F by late day from a low of 15F.  First clear day in weeks.

Today, coming from town, I thought I was looking at a coyote by the 4-lane. A closer look revealed it was a bobcat, looking for something to eat in the dead grass and weeds. Pretty sure it wasn't a lynx. Got lynx around here for sure. In fact I've seen more lynx than bobcats, that's the first I've seen in 45 years. And it was a dead one back then, it was trapped.

2" snow storm expected tomorrow. 30F right now. 20F this morning.

thecfarm

I had 6° this morning.
First time in the single numbers.
Been a warm winter here, so far,
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

8F here and sunny, no wind, coldest morning so far. Frost on the trees and bushes. Thaw coming, freezing rain-mix, oh joy.

doc henderson

rain snow winter weather later today.  Trappers BSA this weekend. below freezing at night, but in the low 50s during the day.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

goose63

With all this snow and now 7 days of fog we are going to have one DanG wet spring :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

goose
Does your spring melt flow north into Canada? or maybe south to the Missouri river shed?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

beenthere into the the Red riverup  to Canada
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

SwampDonkey

A 3 day storm expected here starting tonight into Saturday. 12" and freezing rain mixed in is the prediction. 6F and clear skies this morning. Mars Hill is showing -4F, which is not far from here. Could be around 40F on Friday during the rain.

thecfarm

Maybe 3 inches, maybe an inch of snow. Then rain. Might get up to 50 in the Big City. 

woodroe

Big mess, rain on fresh snow and freezing. Gonna be like boilerplate
come Sunday morning. It is Friday the 13th for the superstitious types.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Jim_Rogers

I was concerned about YellowHammer and pm him and he replied that he was ok.

News said 35 tornados yesterday across the south, with 7 dead so far. 160,000 without power.

Line of storms blew through here last night at midnight but no tornados that I have heard about in coastal NC.

Prayers for all out members in AL, MS, TN, and GA who were affected.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Andries

Thanks for posting that Jim.
I too was concerned for our friends in the SouthEast. 
Tornados! Isn't that a Springtime thing? March through to April/May?

Up here in the Canadian Prairie, we've had about three weeks of 20° to 5° F with humid South winds. Hoar frost on every branch and twig with sunshine makes for greeting card scenery.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Jim_Rogers

I think that tornados in January are rare, but I don't know that for sure.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

No internet this morning. Freezing rain again.
Yep, got 3 inches of snow, then rain, but not enough to melt it all. 
I have almost 40 here now.
Had fog right up until sun down.

SwampDonkey

Only reach 32F here yesterday, 40F was predicted. We had about 6" of snow then began a rain/ice and I got the blower out for a couple hours of dry snow removal. Broke two sheer pins. ::) I keep a bunch on hand. Then began a soft rain. Later I had to shovel the mouth of the driveway here, both ends were plugged with wet bally snow when the snow plow came through and shoved a B-train load in it. I also scooped all the driveway down to gravel for a couple hours before dark. That was enough exercise for one storm, thank you very much. :D We had no wind here during the day Friday, some late Thursday night, but no more than 10 mph. The driveway is a sheet of ice, but before dark I noticed ice all over the trees. ::) No outages here this time.

thecfarm

I have 28° and a light snow should be over in about 2 hours.
Not supposed to get above freezing today.

SwampDonkey

10F this morning and clear, and has been dropping. Might get colder before sunrise. Dropped 6 deg since 2:00 am. Breezy out, NW.

Freezing rain warning issued for tonight into tomorrow.

Thank You Sponsors!