iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broke off tractor key

Started by LeeB, February 05, 2023, 02:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Once again I have broken off the tractor key in the ignition switch of my JD 5410. This makes the third one. They get broken when I turn to look behind me a my knee bends them over as I swing around. Seem like I would learn to take the key out before trying to straighten it back out. It always breaks off inside the switch. Any ideas on how to get the stub out? There's not enough sticking out to get a hold of. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

Probably won't work, but I broke a key off from a locking gas cap about 40 years ago. I just used what was on the key and shoved it in and it unlocked.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom King

I figured there would be a lot of youtube videos on it.  There are.  A bunch.

I didn't watch any, but this one says 7 different ways:

How to remove broken key from lock - DIY snapped key hacks - YouTube

WV Sawmiller

I'd try a magnet and if that did not work I'd try to glue/epoxy the broken pieces together and see if that would hold long enough to pull it straight out. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

I'd relocate the ignition to another spot that your knee won't hit it. (after removing the broken key)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gere Flewelling

LeeB you must be very tall. I am 6'-2" and have driving JD 5410 and 5300 tractors for 20 years now and haven't had that particular issue yet anyways yet. Do you have the seat all the way back?  I always make sure it is tight against the fuel tank to give the most amount of leg room. Where I used to work, we had a fleet of JD Gators that had a similar style ignition switches. Operators were constantly breaking off keys. We used to keep 2 or 3 replacement switch's in stock for this reason.  Some times we would run out of replacement switch's and have to repair an old one. Had some luck using a couple of dental style picks that would some times be able to reach in past the broken key and work it out enough to grab it with needle nose pliers. I have always been on the look out for tiny needle nose pliers to add to the key removal tool kit.  I was not always successful in removing the broken key, but occasionally I could out smart the switch. ;)  Good luck!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Wlmedley

Broke the key off in my tractor ignition switch and bought a new switch at around $50.When I got the old switch out I turned it upside down and pecked it a little and broken piece came out.Changed it anyway.Now I have a spare switch I'll probably never use.Key was the same.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

LeeB

I got the dutchman out but now can't find my spare key.  >:( I did find the last switch I changed out and can start it with a screwdriver so I pit it in until I can find the spare key.  >:(

I plan to either move the switch or fab some kind of guard around it.

Gere, I'm 6'4". Not a whole lot taller than you but maybe a bit thicker? The seat is all the way back and my belly is right at the steering wheel. My head don't swivel real good anymore so I have to pretty much turn my whole body to see directly behind me. That's when the trouble starts.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom King

Fortunately, it shouldn't be too hard to find a John Deere key that works.

LeeB

That would be true if it was a JD switch but it's aftermarket. I've got a key around here somewhere if I can just find it. SHould actually be two of them. One for each of the two switches I have bought so far.

Chuck White

Now that you have the broken piece out, why not take both parts to the hardware store and have them make a new key.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Found a JD key and it fits the aftermarket switch. Now I need to try and get the dutchman out of the other switch so I have a spare switch. 

Brucer

A few years back, after breaking off my 4th key, I pulled the switch, sawed off the part that sticks up above the barrel (where all the little springs & pins are), and put it back together without all the internals. Now a screwdriver will start it.

I have a hook on the back of the roll bar for hanging ropes, chokers, etc. and now there's a chainsaw wrench hanging on it as well. I use the screwdriver on the wrench to start the tractor.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

metalspinner

A thick CA glue might hold the two key halves together enough to pull the piece out? Spray some Accelerator to keep the glue from dripping or running. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Al_Smith

Some times you can snag it with a pair of ice picks .

Thank You Sponsors!