iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any ideas on removing this?

Started by Mooseherder, February 08, 2023, 09:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I got a Charley horse in my bicep and had to regroup before success. :D

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

QuoteThe objective is to upset what is stuck.
Looks like he got it out OK without getting too upset. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Yea !!!  It's out and his balls are still intact.  Miracles happen every day, especially Wednesdays.

Looking at the above picture I see that it was jammed clockwise so any punching would have needed to be tapping it counterclockwise to relieve the bind.

Congrats on your success.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Great, if it were too hard to drill I would have looked at using a TIG welder to weld the welding rod to the bit.  The problem with the Mig is that  you're doing it blind.  You probably can't see the welding so you're aiming and shooting blind and judging when you should stop. It may deposit too much filler wire or not get enough penetration.  It's a last resort.  You'd have a better shot at seeing what you're welding with the TIG torch.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Quote from: Tom King on February 08, 2023, 03:03:55 PMThe next day, I sat in the chair in my shop with the driver under my leg, and pair of ViseGrips clamped to the bit, got ready to put everything I had into it while holding the chuck collar back with one hand.....

Glad to hear that worked, it could have easily ended with a "flat punch between the balls" too.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Glad you caught that SS, I missed it the first time, now I have tears in my eyes. OYY, that could have hurt. I know, I have heard of folks doing similar stuff. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

beenthere

Just one ball in the chuck of Mooseherder's DeWalt when I opened mine up, and that holds the hex shaft.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Hope it's all back together and good.  That is going Above and beyond taking your stuff apart. ;)
I wouldn't do that. :D

Peter Drouin

Remember when you had to use a key to open and close them. Always worked.
But, today, everybody in a hurry, so this is what we have to go through now. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crusarius

plus, you need to consider getting impact bits for impact drivers. They have a relief that allows them to twist instead of break. 

I had to switch to different bits, and I started buying better screws because of my impact. I kept shearing the screws while installing them.

21incher

Now it's time to buy impact rated accessories. I snapped several like that and finally upgraded.

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 09, 2023, 08:17:53 AM
Remember when you had to use a key to open and close them. Always worked.
But, today, everybody in a hurry, so this is what we have to go through now. :D
Evolution is the name of the game. Not everyone likes it.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

GAB

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 08, 2023, 09:19:04 PM
Great, if it were too hard to drill I would have looked at using a TIG welder to weld the welding rod to the bit.  The problem with the Mig is that  you're doing it blind.  You probably can't see the welding so you're aiming and shooting blind and judging when you should stop. It may deposit too much filler wire or not get enough penetration.  It's a last resort.  You'd have a better shot at seeing what you're welding with the TIG torch.
When attempting to weld against frayed metal, it is best to anticipate a weld failure rate.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Crusarius

GAB is right. I have tried welding a nut to many things in the past. Failed many times 

What I found works best for me was just using a flat plate. the thinner material bonds to the part to be removed much better without over heating it.

Mooseherder

I bought a replacement today and it came with a 3/8 adaptor also so I'll use that instead for driving lags. ;)

whatayouwant for 4.98? :D

btulloh

Looks like I'm a little late mentioning this but it helps to use impact rated tips and such in impact drivers. Hopefully the ones you bought are impact rated. The impact rated screw driver tips and accessories are less brittle than the stuff we used to use in drill motors and hold up better.  When I first switched to using a 1/4" impact I broke a lot of tips, usually just the wings on phillips screwdrivers, but now the impact rated stuff holds up much better.  Probably preaching to the choir, but thought it was worth mentioning. 
HM126

Resonator

Like said, it should say impact rated on the package. I know with socket sets the rule of thumb is the chrome (vanadium) steel ones are for regular ratchets, while black (molybdenum) steel are for impact. Not that I would've ever used a regular socket on an air impact before... :-X
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!