iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A funny thing happened on the way to Bangor

Started by wiam, May 13, 2005, 10:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiam

Vermonter came to stay over before going to Bangor Saturday.  We were in my garage looking at stuff, when we heard a strange noise and a racoon came around the corner and attacked my leg.  I ran outside and it attacked Andy's leg.  By then I had run for the 22.  I think he won't do it again.  We are thinking he is rabid.

Will

GareyD

You weren't drinkin' any of DanG's Maxwell House Bacon and mebbe spilt some of that coffee flavored bacon grease on yer pants legs  ::) ??? ::)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

wiam

No Way I would be afraid it might have grits in it.

Will

UNCLEBUCK

I hope you guys didnt get scratched because I think all racoon carry rabies so you better call the vet and proceed with caution so you dont diagnose it late ! Good luck and I hope you will be ok because rabies shots are no fun !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

pigman

Good thing you had a scope on that rifle. If not you might have hit your leg. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

Actually sounds like it had been a pet at one time. Male, Right?
Did it wrap it's front legs around yours and proceed to twist his head back and forth real fast while biting your pants leg?

Freeze the head ASAP and have it checked for rabies.

wiam

IT DID NOT BITE OR SCRATCH EITHER ONE OF US.  I have had confirmed rabies in racoon here before.  This was no pet!

Will

DanG

No wonder he jumped ya.  Ya didn't have no grits in yer coffee/bacon! :o :D :D

That musta been scary, for sure!  If a wild 'coon tried ta climb my leg, he would find it to be pretty slippery going. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Quote from: wiam on May 13, 2005, 11:07:58 PM
IT DID NOT BITE OR SCRATCH EITHER ONE OF US.

Then how did it attack your leg, I don't understand?

Quote from: wiam on May 13, 2005, 10:47:00 PM
a racoon came around the corner and attacked my leg. I ran outside and it attacked Andy's leg.

Paul_H

Quote from: DanG on May 13, 2005, 11:33:30 PM
If a wild 'coon tried ta climb my leg, he would find it to be pretty slippery going. ;)

:D :D 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

Dang, a reply came to mind but I think I will let it go right on by :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

etat

.I'm with DanG.  Except I'd probably be screaming and squalling too.  I've seen how bad them ole coons can tear up on some hound dogs.   ???
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Corley5

I'd get that thing tested anyway.  An existing wound or sore such as a hang nail can be an infection point for rabies. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ernie

Believe me, the course of rabies injections aren't fun unless things have changed in the last 40 years, but they are well worth it.  If it werent for the injections, my kids and grandchildren wouldn't exist
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

firtol88

via google http://www.calpoison.org/public/rabies.html not in the stomach any more.

I remember reading about a single treatment option but have no idea in what context or when.

here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=120234&dopt=Abstract I don't have a subscription so all I can read is the title. here as well http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11765237&dopt=Abstract
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

wiam

The coon came at our legs.  Caught Vermonter's pant leg.  I was too quick. :)  The way it was acting I am pretty it had rabies.  We have had a coon and a fox that tested positive for rabies in hte past.  This one could not be tested because it was shot in the head.  Tryed not to but when it is coming at you killing is more important than testing.

Will

wiam

Well actually my wife who call the state rabies hotline while I was in Bangor yesterday, just told that the state has the coon and they will send us test results when they get them.

wiam

Doc

I used to trap coon and rabbit as a teen, and never even thought about rabies. Then again, when you are killing the thing froma distance int he trap you don't worry much about getting scratched or bit.

Dude may want to look that leg over really close. It doesn't take much of a scratch. BLEH

I wonder how much that bugger weighed? Shame the pelts are virtually worthless down here that I know of.

Doc

Vermonter

Nope, I checked again, it didn't get me.  Came close to a heart attack, but no rabies.  I had one in the yard last fall that I killed, I didn't have it checked but I suspect it had distemper.  That one was a bit less aggressive.
New homestead

Thank You Sponsors!