iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NRCS vs Forest Service

Started by Mountaineer2020, April 29, 2023, 09:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountaineer2020

Good evening, I currently have 2 job offers 1 is from the NRCS as a Forester (GS 9) and 1 from the Forest Service as an Forest Inventory and Analysis Forester (GS 9) as well. Both pay the same. 

I am currently employed as a soil con at the NRCS and I was offered a job to be a forester with the agency. Before I got the offer from NRCS, I received an offer from the FS as a FIA forester as well. Both jobs are within an hour of each other. I am not sure about upward mobility in the FS. The NRCS I may be able to move up, my would be boss is planning to retire in 6-7 years.

Any suggestions?

Southside

Are you in an area where FS and BLM work inter-agency?  Could be a factor that leads to other promotions should BLM need a manager down the road. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mountaineer2020

No sadly, I assume the FIA would have some upward mobility but who knows lol

Ron Scott

As a forester, the upward mobility in the USFS is usually much better, especially due to the diversity of jobs that you could qualify for in the USFS as you gain experience in the organization.

It would depend upon your willingness to move however and if you wish to seek administrative positions over spending most of your time as a field forester which would be more of the case in the NRCS rather than the USFS.

I spent 38 years in the USFS, hired on as a forester, and all but the first 6 years were at the management level from a District Ranger on up. I also worked and cooperated with a number of NRCS foresters during my time with the USFS and later as a consulting forester.
~Ron

BrandonTN

Quote from: Ron Scott on April 30, 2023, 05:19:50 PM
As a forester, the upward mobility in the USFS is usually much better, especially due to the diversity of jobs that you could qualify for in the USFS as you gain experience in the organization.

It would depend upon your willingness to move however and if you wish to seek administrative positions over spending most of your time as a field forester which would be more of the case in the NRCS rather than the USFS.

I spent 38 years in the USFS, hired on as a forester, and all but the first 6 years were at the management level from a District Ranger on up. I also worked and cooperated with a number of NRCS foresters during my time with the USFS and later as a consulting forester.
Ron, after DR were you in an SO? Which Forests? 
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Ron Scott

Yes, I was in the Supervisor's office (SO) on the Allegheny and Huron-Manistee NFs after the time spent as a District Ranger on the Huron-Manistee NFs and Monongahela NF.
~Ron

BrandonTN

I'm always impressed to see the rare foresters that cross the threshold into district ranger positions, because it seems most foresters either arent cut out for it personality-wise, or arent interested because they enjoy being in the woods too much. Of course, I'm sure the agency has changed since your time in that fewer of the current leadership has a forester back ground compared to a couple decades ago. Perhaps it was more palatable to be a ranger in the past when timber production was a primary objective. Todays emphasis on restoration and stewardships, and public collab attracts a different type of ranger than 20-30 yrs ago. Unfortunately, many times one that doesnt know much about forestry.
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Ron Scott

Yes, during my day, those with forestry degrees pretty much dominated the District Ranger and administrative positions in the USFS. Now pretty much any biological degree can seek out a management position. 

However, the USFS is returning to more forester hires again as the need for the science of silviculture which the forester possesses is necessary in proper forest management.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!