iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What does steam mean?

Started by Digger Don, February 21, 2024, 04:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Steam is what they used when they didn't have water power  ffcheesy

Don P

All I want to know is are we talking yellow or white?

Magicman

As for me and my house, it's Yellow.  ffsmiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 25, 2024, 05:44:30 PMThis whole conversation reminds of a slight divergence within my own family which is divided by hereditary lines into two groups which also overlap. There are the Lindtveit's on one side and the Elliott's on the other. We all get along just famously, but the joke is that if you ask an Elliott what time it is, after some mildly sarcastic comment like "Why, do you have a date or something?", but then will tell you the time. If you ask a Lindtveit what time it is he will likely tell you how to build a watch in the process. Guess which side I am on. ffcheesy ffcheesy
I'm still trying to figure out what side of the family I'm on.  Everybody knows I have zero sarcastic or smart aleck characteristics, and if you don't believe it, ask anybody.  Maybe not.... 
ffcheesy

I don't think I'm on the other side either, the guy who will tell you how to build a watch, because really all you need is a little cesium or rubidium and a photon counter.  I mean not much to say about that, pretty easy.

I think I'm the other guy who, when you ask what time it is, I will have to ask how fast you are going and what altitude you are?  I mean gravity, as described by general relativity, distorts spacetime, causing time dilation near massive objects. Clocks in stronger gravitational fields tick slower due to the curvature of spacetime, so the higher you are from the center of the Earth, the faster time flows. Additionally, according to special relativity, relative velocity affects the passage of time. Time appears dilated for observers moving at speeds relative to a stationary observer. This phenomenon arises from the Lorentz transformation, which governs the relationship between space and time coordinates in different reference frames. So, both gravity and velocity profoundly influence the measurement of time. therefore, if you ask me what time it is, will have to say "I have no idea." ffcheesy ffcheesy
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Robert, you would most defiantly be on my side of the family. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

or answer, "who cares"!!!!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jpassardi

It seems the water vapor discussion may have gone awry somewhere along the way...  :juggle2:  ffcheesy
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Don P

GAB

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 26, 2024, 08:22:10 AMSteam is what they used when they didn't have water power  ffcheesy

Last I knew you needed water to make steam.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

YellowHammer

The topic has fallen into a black hole.   ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

caveman

I had grits Sunday night and for lunch yesterday and today.  Accompanied with steaming hot, fried fish.  I guess tomorrow for lunch it'll be hamburgers and black-eyed peas.  I don't know too much about steaming blades or thermal dynamics, but I like food.
Caveman

Digger Don

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 27, 2024, 10:52:13 AMThe topic has fallen into a black hole.  ffcheesy ffcheesy 
I'll take responsibility for starting it, but I swear, I had nothing to do with where it went. I'll now go out in the woods and never return.  ffcheesy    But first...

Does that mean your only talent (besides sawing, of course) is sitting on an ice cream cone, and telling us what flavor it is?   ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
Timberking B20, Magnatrac 5000, Case 36B mini excavator

Digger Don

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 26, 2024, 09:03:11 PMEverybody knows I have zero sarcastic or smart aleck characteristics, and if you don't believe it, ask anybody.
Why did this quote not show up in the blank space, in my last post?

Magicman

There is a little trick to put two different quotes in the same reply.  Your way was by far the simplest.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Digger Don

You're not even going to tell us the secret? I'll probably forget it anyway, but the younger folks might remember.

Magicman

Not a secret, just kinda awkward.  I open two tabs with the FF open in each.  Make the quote and then copy it back to the first tab.

It is much simpler to make two replies and also easier for the reader to keep track of the conversation without wondering ??  smiley_headscratch

Digger Don

Thanks. I'll try to remember to just quote once.

Thank You Sponsors!