iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How's your Garden doing

Started by johnjbc, July 11, 2005, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Our grape vine (we only have 1 left now) is in shock I think, since I moved it over to the farm this spring. Hopefully next year it will rebound and produce some good grapes again.
We are having fresh baby potatoes already this summer, they are delicious. I checked the tomatoes, and they are still tiny and green. Looks like we have a few weeks to wait on them.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Weekend_Sawyer

Our corn that was knocked down last week in a storm is back up. I didn't have time to ge out there till Wednesday and when I did it was up and looking great ??? ???

We have 3 different areas of fig trees, all three areas died right down to the roots and are now sprouting back up. never saw that before, guess it was a colder winter than I thought. Thinking about building a wall to give them some shelter this winter.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ohsoloco

The concord grapes always do great, but we're not having any luck with the chardonnay  :(  My dad got two new plants to replace the ones that died (they never really took off), and there wasn't so much as a bud that developed on these plants.  My fancy timber framed grape arbor isn't getting much use  :-\

Chris J

Anybody ever rigged a shade for your garden?  The sun down here does a number on my bell peppers & my eggplants, gives them a nice burn before they can properly vine ripen.  I'm thinking (it does happen) that plastic window screening will let in the rain & some sun while protecting the veggies.  All advice is welcome & much appreciated.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Norm

Chris most of the bigger garden supply companies sell a sun shade material that is used in green houses. Not sure how well it would work being outside in the wind and stuff but it might be something to consider.

Roxie

I sure would like to see what that timber framed grape arbor looks like!  I'm trying to get Cowboy Bob to put up an arbor for me.   :)
Say when

johnjbc

Finished up the last slice of raspberry pie last night. So I went out and picked a couple more quarts. The last time only the black raspberries were ripe, this time there were both red and black. This is the first time they have both been in season at the same time. Usually there is a week or 2 between them. You can see why I like to pick the red better

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Chris J

Man o man, those raspberrys look tasty!  Don't let my wife see them, otherwise we'll be buying the expensive ones from the grocery store.

Norm, my organic gardening book & my Texas gardening book give some recomendations, which I will look up once I find the books.  I definately need something that can withstand our intense sunshine & heat.  If I don't get tomatoe plants in early enough, they really take a beating & don't produce many tomatoes.

When we do get in a decent bunch of tomatoes, I especially like fried green tomatoes (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).  My wife makes a batter that's just right, light & crunchy, but not too thick & heavy.  Of course there's nothing wrong with fresh picked tomatoes & a little salt.

Now I'm hungry again; I wonder why?
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

thecfarm

Garden is way behind.We had a real wet spring here.I got the garden in late.But everything is growing.The jap bettles have just arrived.I hate them things.Had a real hard time with cuke cumbers bettles this year.They were some hungry this year.Will plant a radish between each cuke and squash next year.Had something that dug up my squash and corn seeds and ate them.Never had this much of a problem.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I have some grapes growing kind of wild now. I planted them 15 years ago. Once in awhile I see grapes on them, but mostly leaves. They grow fast too. They were grapes I started from seed from grapes I bought at the grocery store. Planted them for fun. ;)

I picked my first raspberries last night and cherries a couple days ago. mm mm. I gotta make some bisc'ns :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

This is my punkin patch about three weeks ago.  I'll take some up to date pics tomorrow.  The patch doesn't look even close to the same but if we don't get some rain pretty soon it's gonna be bad news for them :(

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

johnjbc

Look what Kathy did to my raspberries . Now I have to wait for it to cool off. Then a couple scoops of ice cream!      Um Um  :)

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

UNCLEBUCK

Corley you have the tractor my dad has wanted his whole life ! Awesome !  I just got hungry lookin at johnjbc" Dang good pie !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norm

Dang it Corley you have the neatest toys....I mean tractors. Never seen one before what is it? :)

And showing this poor starving Iowa boy fresh berry pie, that's just cruel. :D

Corley5

That's an Allis Chalmers G 8)  Rated at about 10hp comparable to a Farmall Cub in size.

SwampDonkey

Corley, I think that garden is a bonus. You have more fun playing with all the toys. Be honest with us now. ;) :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

Roxie, it's been here on the forum for quite some time  :)  After the picture was taken I added two runs of wire on each side attatched with eye bolts for the grapes to climb up, and some 2x6's I notched out for the top...and since they were tamarak, they are now seriously warped  :(

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=2753.0

Norm, the poor starving Iowa boy  :D :D :D :D ::)

SwampDonkey

Ah  8) 8) 8), the birth of the Timber Framing forum. I must say it's been very successful and appreciated by all, thanks to all contributors. :) When I was a young feller I was always in the older folks' way when they worked on camps and jacking up old buildings. Now I find myself far removed. Well, things have changed alot since those days. Back then it didn't cost a small fortune to get stuff done.  :-\

Corley5

Mom and Dad's garden

Grandma's garden planted next to the punkins.

Appalachians semi bush hybrid

I've got seven rows of squash too. Three are butternut and four are buttercup mixed with zuchinni.  The zucchinni is supposed to be preferred by squash bugs over pumpkins.  If the plants look dirty they are.  Our paved road is currently torn up and is supposed to be paved this week. 

Appalachians on the right and Autumn Kings on the left.  The Kings are a full vine variety.  Last year I planted plain old field pumpkins from the elevator.  This year I got hybrid varieties from http://www.seedway.com/  The plants even look better.  If we don't get rain pretty quick things aren't gonna be looking so good :(  They're a little wilty today.  The pumpkins are an excuse to play with my toys errr..  I mean practical farm equipment ;) ;D 8)  I used the JD 2010 to plow and work the patch.  I spread the fertilizer with the 180 MF and sprayed the weeds before plowing with my ATV sprayer and it was all fun or should I say work made easier with my toys ;D

SwampDonkey

Good stuff Corley, I like to see the plants fill the rows. :)  I only had 4 pumpkin out of 40 seeds, and all the zukes failed. :( I only grow the halloween pumpkin for that occasion. Buds have just started now. I'm going through the garden tommorrow morning before the heat for a 3rd weeding.

cheers

ohsoloco

We haven't planted pumpkins for a long time at the folks'.  I remember going out first thing on Sunday mornings while the flowers were still opened so we could have fried pumpkin flowers for brunch  :)

UNCLEBUCK

Corley that is one fine looking pumpkin/squash patch !  Did you give your mom and dads garden the round-up trick too then plow it 2 weeks later?  There isnt a weed in your pumpkins . That is very impressive . Also what kind of planter did you use to plant the seed ? I have been looking for plates for a j.d. 494 corn planter just for pumpkin/squash seed .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!