The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Mice, .....again  (Read 9636 times)

Offline Radar67

• Senior Member x2
  • Cuttin Wood Now For My House Later.
    • Share Post
    • Stewart Photography
Re: Mice, .....again
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »
I have a few barn cats myself. They are worth their weight to me, I saw one with a snake not long ago.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 06:48:03 PM »
Radar is right, they can be beneficial, but also very smelly.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »
Neighbor has a couple of cats. He says they are not pets, they are "employees", if they get lazy he "fires" them. :o
Bill

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 08:37:35 PM »
Every once in a while we seem to get invaded with mice!
So, I have a mouse trap in the cellar that I'll set with a smear of peanut butter on the pan.
On average, I get a mouse every night until they're gone.
Usually 6 to 8 mice will come in and I catch one each night, then when I don't catch one for about 4 days, I'll spring the trap!
If more come in, we'll hear them in the attic, then the next morning I'll start setting the trap until they're gone again!

SAFETY:  Always wash your hands after handling a mouse.  As already mentioned, they do carry virus'!  ;)

NOTE:  The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the bait!  8)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »

Barn cats  ::)   Git Joan up there and geeve er a .22  ;D   ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline moonhill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »
We had one of our 7 MP's (mouse patrol ) come back after a 2 week absence, it had been shot in the back of the neck, a misplaced head shop, the bullet came out the front, I could look in side the cat, dark and green around the edges.  She survived with no vet.  One eye is sensitive to light and the pupil is just a slit most of the time.  I talked to the closest neighbor and friend and asked for better aim, they don't take kindly to cats, which is understandable.  Some times I wonder what is worse, mice or cats. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Offline logwalker

• Senior Member x2
  • Got Logs??
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:48 AM »
  I talked to the closest neighbor and friend and asked for better aim, they don't take kindly to cats, which is understandable.  Some times I wonder what is worse, mice or cats. 

Tim

...or neighbors?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Offline Victor

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2009, 12:42:33 AM »
"they don't take kindly to cats, which is understandable."

Huh? They shot your pet and that is understandable? I don't get it.

Victor

Offline WildDog

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2009, 06:25:56 AM »
Given the chance my sons shoot any cat thats around the house and in the paddocks, the cost of leaving cats alive to keep the rabbits, rats and mice down IMO doesn't warrant the damage inflicted on the native wildlife and our caged birds etc. This is my opinion and not my wifes she'd like a house cat but so far we remain cat free.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Offline moonhill

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2009, 07:35:05 AM »
"they don't take kindly to cats, which is understandable."

Huh? They shot your pet and that is understandable? I don't get it.

Victor

We do care for our animals, if they travel 2 miles or more and get eaten by a coyote, or some other creature, or even shot, it is out of my control.  I would not pick a fight with the coyote or the neighbor, I don't believe it is worth the grief.  These are outside cats, all friendly, they have a wonderful life, much better than numerous cats all living in a house trailer and no litter box, I have seen it as a boy delivering newspapers, what a mess.  In this case mice would be more sanitary.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Offline Bruce Hopf

• Share Post
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
Mice and rats are a little problem here in the Barn. I used to have about 12 cats in the barn, until a possum got into the barn, and killed them all off.
Now I just use a tin pie plate full of rat and mouse bait, that it is inside a tin for the bottom of an oven. In this tin, is Dyfonate (for corn root worm). A rat especially, is continuous of it feet being kept clean, and when it licks the Dyfonate dust off it's feet, well it doesn't take too long for them to be it for them. Mice the same.
Rat and mouse bait goes a lot further, than a bag of cat food, and is a lot cheaper too. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

Offline SPIKER

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2009, 04:42:36 PM »
this reminds me, last week, I opened the bottom drawer of my tool box last week, & saw a bunch of fluff (out popped a momma mouse with 4 babies attached, grabbed her & tossed out side where she was dispatched, come to find out it was the inside lining of my HOT WORK gloves that she shredded :(, little while later after cleaning up the mess of a nest I kept hearing a squeaking. seems one of the babies fell off on way out of the shed...   tossed it out with momma where it quited right down.   seems local cat or?? found the remains as it was all gone next AM.
 few years back the mower wouldn't start/run right opened hood, I pulled off air cleaner to find mouse had made home there, ate hole and shredded air cleaner, which was sucked into mower carb... GRRR  since then I keep screen over intakes more often..

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Offline easymoney

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2009, 05:54:05 PM »
not as bad as mice. but dirt daubers can be a pain. a friend gave me an impact wrench that he said did not work. i found that a dirt dauber had stopped up the air intake.i have had that happen more than once. i found a big dirt dauber nest in the intake of a car engine that had been sitting for a couple of years.

Offline farmboy1tn

• Share Post
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2009, 05:58:17 PM »
well i have had alot of the same things happen to me also :-[.   but a few years back had the service truck in the shop for new transmission when to pick it up on a cold afternoon wait for it to warm up while driving down the road temp gauge started to read some movement hit high on the fan switch and got a face full of chewed up sound deading from under the dash smiley_furious.  the worst was my new truck and i where fixing to go on a road trip and loaded up and headed down the road and less than a mile it was just like it just died . so poped the hood started looking around open up the airfilter box and seen the air filter chewed up and i guess it took speeding up to get on the main road to suck up the chewed up nest to be shucked in the intake ah ain't life just grand.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Had it with mice

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

39 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 10:03:18 AM
by JP135
xx
Mice....

Started by Curlybirtch on Sawmills and Milling

80 Replies
Last post September 22, 2021, 08:53:00 AM
by Chuck White