The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 4/4 quartersawn  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
4/4 quartersawn
« on: August 31, 2005, 09:58:29 PM »
back in march I sawed up a bunch of red oak.  I quarter sawed it as best I could... I sawed it on the 4/4 mark on my saw's ruler, today, we pulled it all out of our solar kiln and the thicknesses were at around 7/8", kinda disappointing, I guess I should have sawn at 5/4.

what's the standard protocol on this stuff?  or is 7/8 after drying about normal?

our moisture content was about 6 according to the pinless meter we have, most of it looked good, and I can't brag enough about logrite or anchorseal!

speaking of which, how come anchorseal is not a sponsor of this fine forum!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
Re: 4/4 quartersawn
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 10:35:27 PM »
Dan,
I cut my hardwoods at 1 1/8.  That insures that they can be dressed to 3/4.

I started sawing years ago listening to the bandsaw manufacturers selling the clean cut of the band.  They talked about how you could cut 7/8's and the customer could still get 3/4.   We were supposed to get more lumber that way and make more money.  The problem was that the customer couldn't get 3/4 dressed from the 7/8's board.

Operator/sawyers began to cut thicker and thicker.  Woodmizer even responded in the middle 1990's  with a Quarter scale that was more liberal than the ones they had previously supplied.

I have had some hard-nosed customers, one a circle sawyer, who demanded 1 5/8 lumber be cut and sold to them for 4/4.  That caused me to not go back to service those people.  I figured that they may have to cut it that thick on their mill but I wasn't going to do it.

I also try to cut widths 1/2" to 1/4" over as well.   There is not much more aggravating than a pretty board that has a little bow and can't be straight-edged.  Cutting it a little wider doesn't guarantee success, but, it sure makes you look better to your customer.  I will tell them what I am doing so that they don't think I am just being sloppy though.
extinct

Offline Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 10:39:28 PM »
the customer is me, so i'm the only guy to be happy. (actually, i'm giving some of the nice boards to the guy who gave me the tree too, but he's in on position to complain!)

looks like I"ll be sawing most of my hardwood 5/4 from now on.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 10:46:37 PM »
Cutting thick boards is a two edge sword.  If you cut them too thick then you wear out planer blades.   Why don't you work in smaller increments until you find what works for you.   I'll bet that 1 1/8 will satisfy you.

Of course there is nothing wrong with 5/4 if you are using the wood yourself.  That way you can build with one inch stock instead of 3/4.
extinct

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 10:49:04 PM »
When I got my mill 5 years ago I sawed using what is called on my WM the standard hardwood 4/4 scale, which gives a 1in board. After woodworking for a while, I have been using the grade hardwood 4/4 scale, which gives a full 1 & 1/8in. Like you, my oak was drying too thin to plane out 3/4in.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline Brian_Bailey

• A Great State to be From!
    • Share Post
    • baileyswoodworking.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 07:41:30 AM »
I cut my quarter'd lumber a little bit heavier than plain sawn because QS lumber will shrink more in thickness the farther away from the pith you get.

The thickness will depend on what I anticipate using the lumber for after it dries.

Brian...

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 07:44:13 AM »
I think of two things when sawing hardwoods.  Store bought hardwood is 13/16" thick so I like my lumber to be the same.  Most home or small shop planers are doing good to remove 1/8" per pass...dont want the board to require more than two passes through the machine to make a standard thickness board.

When flat sawing I cut 1-1/16"...after kiln drying it will surface to 13/16".  If over 8" wide I cut 1-1/8" thick to allow for any cupping to machine out.  Quarter sawed it is always 1-1/8" thick because shrinkage will be more in the kiln.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline flip

• Senior Member x2
  • The Nations WOOD Capital
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 08:53:58 AM »
I bought the 4/4, 1", 5/4 and 6/4 scales from Cooks.  I am dead nut 1 1/8 on the 4/4 scale.  I think it takes into account blade kerf and is liberated for grade sawing.  Nice large marks easy to see and accurate.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Quartersawn oak question...

Started by scsmith42 on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2007, 10:11:12 PM
by Robert Long
xx
Quartersawn questions

Started by trees on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post February 01, 2003, 05:34:27 AM
by trees
xx
quartersawn red oak bed project

Started by Dan_Shade on General Woodworking

31 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 10:54:56 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Some Quartersawn white oak WDH and I cut.

Started by customsawyer on Sawmills and Milling

81 Replies
Last post January 12, 2021, 01:26:39 PM
by caveman