iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10 inch swing blade saw mills

Started by Rick R, November 29, 2005, 08:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick R

What swing blade companies sell 10" saw mills ?
I know that Peterson has this size.
Would the 10" blade be much slower cutting than the 8" blade.
Also: What type of blades do most circle saw millers use ?  Inserted Tooth or brazed tips ?                         
                                               Rick R             

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

As far as I know,  Peterson is the only 10" swingblade.

Applying the same horse power,  cutting a 10" swath is slower than cutting a smaller cut.
You can drop to 8 or 6 teeth and get more speed, but also have a much rougher cut.  Of course,
making an 8" cut with a 10" machine would be just as fast as making it with a machine which
can only handle 8" max.    Keep in mind that the 10" Peterson is geared down 1.9:1 for the
sake of better torque on the saw.

The insert tooth Peterson blades are rediculously high priced, so I have decided for my
own situation that having one brazed blade on the saw and one on its way to the saw
shop is the way to go.   (Too bad the dollar exchange rate changed so much during the
last couple of years.)

As a matter of fact, my other blade came back today retipped and retensioned. 
The blade on the saw has only one damaged tooth, so I am ready for a pre-dawn
date with my sweet Peterson tomorrow- packing two good blades for a change!

I have 23 tons of Sweetgum to tackle! 8)

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Captain

The only commercial 10" Swingblade that I know of right now is the Peterson.

I'll take a little difference to the last post by Phil, as a sawyer who has cut with both an 8" and a 10".  The 8" mill in a 8" cut is noteably easier and faster than a 10" mill in the same 8" cut.  Why? narrower kerf and less blade in the log for the same cut.  I sell about 8-9 8" mills to every one 10" mill. 

As I remember from your project, you are looking to cut a LOT of 1x10s and 2x10s.  A real pain on an 8" mill.  Personally, I use a lot of 8" material and make my building plans reflect that capability.

Most customers use blades with silver soldered carbide tips.  There is one customer in your area using an insert tooth blade on a 10" mill.  The insert tooth blades are approximately 3 times the initial cost due to all of the machining required in the shanks.

On the blade cost issue, hold on Peterson owners.  We're working with some US suppliers to bring blades to market at more reasonable costs than shipping from New Zealand.

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!