iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it...

Started by metalspinner, August 10, 2006, 02:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Found this girl today while unstacking some lumber....

First person to guess right gets it in the mail! :D

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Radar67

You can keep the prize, but looks like a black widow to me.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pasbuild

Sure looks like a spider
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Tom

Yes, it does look like a black widow.  Does it have an hour glass on its abdomen?

pigman

Looks like a pig to me. ;D I don't want no spider in the mail .
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

Don't send me a pig in the mail either, Bob.  :D

metalspinner

Yes,
It is a Black Widow. I was clearing out some fire wood to build a small out building when she showed herself.  Before I got started, the thought went through my head that the habitat was perfect for a Black Widow, but I blew it off and went about the work.  I flipped a 2x4 over to nail it up and she was about an inch from my hand (no gloves :o).  I usually let natures creatures go about their business, but not this time.  After gathering her up and taking a pic, she went in the freezer for a quick death then given to the kids ( in the container) for their collection. :P

Radar67

I used to live in a location that was full of them. I counted 25 in one day. It was common to see them.  :o I have a good picture of the hourglass trademark somewhere...I'll have to dig it up.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Dan_Shade

I smashed one with my hand last weekend, then I was like "hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have done that"....  thus far no ill effects....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

I've spent many hours looking for them to put in my insect collection. ;D

Spiders are neat. 

Radar67

I've been told that a person can only take the anti-venin for a black widow bite two times during thier life...I guess the third times the charm, your either immune or in troble.  :D

Tom are you seriously looking for one? I come across them faily often.

Stew

Tom

Not anymore, Stew.  I haven't had an insect collection since my last one at the University of Georgia in 1964.  Dr. Paul didn't give it back after grading.  He made an announcement that those who didn't get their's back had been selected to have them put in the School's museum (collection).   Maybe mine is still there.  8)

Radar67

Now Tom, I'd be glad to send you a few little friends to start a new one with.  :D

Stew

metalspinner

When my oldest son was five, he came running to me from across the yard yelling "Daddy, Daddy, I found a Black Widow!"  Not totally believing him, he took me by the hand to the rock he turned over and sure enough there she was.  After looking at her for a few minutes, we smushed it. He of course knows what they look like and that given half a chance they will run away for cover.

Thank You Sponsors!