iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Zucchini Fairy struck!

Started by katie-did, August 26, 2006, 10:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katie-did

What do you do when the Zucchini Fairy brings you 8 nice size Zucchini's?

8) You Make Bread !!  8)
I spent most of the day  smiley_sweat_drop making it  smiley_chef_hat but boy was it worth it.

I prefer the large ones for making bread.

Peel & wash them

Get the Cuisinart out and Shred it.

Mix it up, Get it in the pans

And put it in the oven for the family and me

food1 Boy don't they look good.  digin1
Wish we had SMELL-A- FORUM!  food3
(You don't know what you are missing  smiley_thumbsup)

I made 8 batches of bread and have enough for one more but ran out of eggs.
It yielded 4 regular loafs, 18 small loafs, & 24 mini loafs.
It is all wrapped and in the freezer.
I think that will last us a week or two.

Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Mooseherder

dangle_smiley
That looks so GOOD. I'll bring the milk.

Burlkraft

Jill made some too and it don't last long musteat_1 musteat_1
Why not just 1 pain free day?

hiya

We had some in the garden. One evening I told my wife I was going to fry some for supper. Put a big hunk of butter in a skillet, Shiced zucchini, onion, bell pepper, browned ground beef, with a little toco seasoning, than dumped on a bunch of cheese. Our 20 y.o. son didn't quite until it was gone. Sorry the amounts are not in cups, table spoons, etc. But when I learned to cook my mother had most all amounts of ingreadents in her head. She would say dump some in ,ok thats enough etc. It always tasted good. So thats the way I do it ::).
Richard
RichardinMd.

farmerdoug

For better flavor next time just wash and quarter then grate.  The skin of the zucchini gives the beard the best flavor.  We eat alot of it during deer season.

Doug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

TW

Katie
Would you mind sharing the reciepe of Zuccini bread? My mother is a Zuccini fan and I would forward it to her.

katie-did

FarmerDoug, the recipe calls for you to not to peel them but I find using the big ones that the peel is tougher then smaller ones so I peel them. Also on the smaller ones I do not take out the seed but on the big ones I do.

Just hope I can still got somemore made this year. My plants did not grow so I am depending on the Fairy to work his/her magic for me. Hoping I am not asking for to much from the Fairy.  smiley_angel02_wings

TW Here it is, I know there are so many differnt recipes for Zucchini Bread out there but this is the best. It has been around for years in our family I know for over 100 years. Hope your mother enjoys it as much and we do.

3C.   Shredding Zucchini
3   eggs
¾ C.   Sugar
¾ C.   Brown Sugar
1 C.   Oil
3 ½ C.   Flour
1 t.   Baking Powder
1 t.   Baking Soda
1 t.   Cinnamon
½ t.   Salt
1 C.   Nuts (Pecans, Almonds or Walnuts) optional)
1 C.   Flaked Coconut (optional)
2 t.   Vanilla

Grind or grate zucchini, unpeeled; drain. Beat eggs, sugar and oil.
Add zucchini.
Sift 3 cups flour with other dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.
Add vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
Add nuts and coconut which have been coated with remaining ½ cup flour.
Pour into well-greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

I never add the nuts or coconut because we do not like them so I just sift all of the flour.
I also use smaller loaf pans because I like to give them away and they are just one person size. I just fill the smaller pans ¾ of the way full and cut the time back to 45 minutes.

Other options are to add All Spice or Clove to the recipe. Normally I add 2 t. Cinnamon cause I like it, so when I add All Spice or Clover I just add 1 t. Cinnamon and 1t. All Spice or Clove. I am sure that there are other spices that you could use. This recipe is really nice to experiment with and flavor it for yourself.
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

TW

Thanks. I will forward the reciepe for evaluation and see what she says.

SPIKER

yep it's the time of year you have to lock you truck/car up or else you will find the zucchini fairy will have left you some in you're car!  :) ;):p

I printed that recipe out for later testing ;)

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Snag

We shred as much as we can, measure it out for 2-loaf batches and freeze it.  We can usually get enough to make it year round.

Part_Timer

Quote from: katie-did on August 27, 2006, 09:04:55 AM

I never add the nuts or coconut because we do not like them so I just sift all of the flour.

Speak for yourself dear :) :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

MMMMMM     MMMMMMMMMM

thats pea pickin good :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!