iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

turning stock

Started by turningfool, December 17, 2006, 07:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

anyone in my neck of the woods who might have some wood turning stock for sale?matters not what kind..green or dry..log form or blocks,making christmas stuff for next year already :)

farmerdoug

What sizes of material are you looking for?  I know you are looking for box elder but what else turns your fancy, pardon the pun of course?  I know that a couple of guys were selling burls.  I see you found one but try the for sale section.  Reid and Frank had some they were trying to sell.

I am on the east side of the state so it maybe a little to far but I am sure we come find something here if you are ever around this way.

I would like to see some pics of your work.  There is a thread on posting pics here to help you get started too.  Here is the link.
Posting Pics

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

turningfool

thanks farmer..my girl live near detroit so i spend a lot of time out east so to speak..anything but poplar and willow..too darned soft..have posted pics in my  gallery now

farmerdoug

TF,

Cool pics.  You definitly have more patience than me.  I would make alot of firewood though.

Where in Detroit is your girl.  I am north west of the Blue Water bridge a ways.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

woodmills1

I have a bunch of figured maple send me a message.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sunfield Hardwood

Hi Turningfool, I'm in Sunfield, between Grand Rapids and Lansing. I have a block of spalted maple in my shop, If I remember right it's about 12"by 12" by 18". [I havent looked at it in awhile] I'm sure it would make two of something,I also have lots of logs of various species, so if your comeing through my my area give me a call and stop by. my email is in my profile, see ya.Bill
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

turningfool

if anyone here has stuff just lying around ,as in wood.. that they want to be shed of....the rule for me is you get the first turning off from it..i never know what thats going to be most of the time..i just wing it..fairs is fair..will look you up between lansing and g.r. the large spalted blank would make a nice hollow form i am sure..you'll be hearing from me ;D

farmerdoug

TF,

Let me know if you are wandering over this way.  I am sure we can cut you a piece of something.  What size of material do you look for?  We have box elder but now really big as I like to keep it cut.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

TF, ever find any staghorn sumac around 6 inch diameter? I knew an old timer than got a piece from a neighbor and made some jewelery boxes, but it looks a lot like butternut.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

turningfool

Doug:size really doesnt matter,its a lot of fun mounting and spinning a 100 pound chunk getting it to run true slowly and cranking up the rpms to make long ribbons of wood fly..but small or large the end product is what catches the eye ,any size thats chuckable is great

Dana

I put a 5' long spalted very wormy piece of basswood on e-bay last week. Only got one bid for $1.00  I thought the carvers or turners would have been  interested.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

beenthere

Post a picture for us, and let us see what it looked like? 
Maybe it just didn't get the right attention, and maybe the picture didn't sell the piece.
::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

The other thing is the fact that ebay is swamped with wood.
50% or more don't even get bids.

turningfool

basswood from what i hear is great for carving but have never really heard of anyone turning it..its grain pattern is pretty much lack luster and doesnt cut very well even with sharp tools..too soft and too much tear out..and furby is correct there is indeed tons od wood on ebay..as far as turners go ,they (at least i do)look for whatever catches their fancy from plain to wow! :)

SwampDonkey

Some folks get permits from DNR and pick up nubbins on the logging yards. Sometimes there are trimmings when cutting for veneer grade. Might find a curly or small section of birdseye, or even a burl. I know a couple of sections of birdseye in maple ridges. One right beside a friend's camp and another may have been clearcut by now. I was driving by some of their yard wood and there was a lot of birdseye figure in some of it, but most was hollow or mineral inside. Barely made pulp. We are talking virgin timber and the stuff was at least 250 years old, and a lot of nasty, narly,twisty wood.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

turningfool

there is some state land near where i work where i hunt for fall "honeydew" mushrooms..a few years ago i stumbled upon the biggest root type burl i had ever seen..i drive a club cab 4x4 and its easily 1&1/2 the times the size of my truck..it has 9- 20-36" dia.red oaks coming out of it but alas its on state land and way too far back in to ever harvest it..but i make a point to see it several times each year..yup..woodturners are a "crazy" sort

Dana

I haven't loaded any photo's in a while and forgot how to insert the photo code into a post. The basswood that I sold for a dollar is in my gallery, for anyone wants to see it. I think it sold so cheap because I used the freight calculator in the listing. It quoted over $200.00 to move the wood within my own zip code/town. :o
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

asy

Hey TF, welcome!

We love turning, and we like fools ... So you'll fit in well...   smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing Need more fools around here, It was gettin' lonely.

Pity you aren't just a LITTLE closer, you could have as much timber as you could turn off our place, no problems, so long as you let me come drool over your magic works.

Thanks for posting photos, they're amazing. I LOVE the hat!

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

turningfool

thanks for the welcome..have turned a few aussie timbers/seed pods..but nothing major

asy

Can you get Banksia pods easilly over there?

turningfool

banksia pods can be had but are in general very small..and i personally dont get into really small work..but have done a few small candle holders from them

asy

I think the biggest we get here are about a foot long.

We have a few banksias on the farm, but nothing really huge, but I do see lots of them when we go bushwalking.

If I see any that look like really good turning, I'd be really happy to send them to you, but could you check out whether or not your country will allow them through customs? I'd hate to send them only to have them confiscated.

turningfool

WOW! the biggest i've seen around here are only a few inches long..i will check with cutoms :)

turningfool

added a few box elder hollow form pics to my gallery..trash tree to some folks..but i like how it ends up :)

SwampDonkey

Tom, see if you can find some big sumac. Ask some farmer for that big one in the middle of the clump.  ;) I've seen them up to 6" diameter. We have them near river valleys. Might be a clue where to look. I'm too far out from the river here and have none. The grain is like walnut or butternut.  :) Might be quite burry when turned. Your lathe reversible?

Thank You Sponsors!