iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member Introduction

Started by Jesse Frank, March 12, 2007, 08:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse Frank

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to all of you for all of the fantastic information you all have shared.

I've gotten the timber framing bug, and have been reading the posts here for a couple months now. I'm a full time bladesmith, and am in the process of building my shop in the style of the old norse grindverksbygg. I started a blog on it here if any of you want to check it out.

http://jfmetalsmith.livejournal.com/

Any and all comments on the construction methods are most welcome!
Thanks,
Jesse Frank
There are absolutely no absolutes in life, and that's a fact.

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jesse Frank.  You one of the James boys?

I'm sure that you will enjoy timber framing here.  We have some quite knowledgeable fellows who are not bashful at all about posting their wares here on the forum. 

Raphael

Welcome to the FF Jesse.
I'm looking forward to seeing you're work.
I like the home made tools on your blog, do you ever make broadswords?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jesse Frank

Thanks, guys.

I do make swords, I actually specialize in viking age tools and weaponry.

Here is my site if you're interested. I wasn't ging to initially, because I don't want to come off like I'm advertising, but since you asked :):

http://jfmetalsmith.com/

TW

Impressive metalwork. I suspect the old vikings would have considered those swords better than their own.
By the way
I was a helper at a archeologic excavation some years ago. It was a house site from about 7th and 8th century ad and some slightly newer graves. There were even the remnants of a farmer's smithy. A anvil stone and a primitive forge full of asches and cinder. The slightly later viking age houses had been on the other side of the hill. There was not much to excavate from viking age because the farm was still there! 1000 years of continuos activity on that farmyard had destoyed the oldest layers.

Griffon

Hello Jesse and welcome to the Forestry Forum,

I've just had a quick browse of your blog ...

Your ammended method shows a long squarish tenon passing through the post/rafter assembly. Have you thought of using a spline here? When the main members are of softwood, a hardwood spline can offer significant advantage as its stronger in traction; also saves on cost of first purchasing the longer big section. This may be especially relevant if the relish (wood) past your holding peg needs to be as short as sketched.

Ciao, Lee

Woodbender

Hi Jesse!

Boy! Nice work on the blades!  My son has a hankering to be doing iron work and bladesmithing - he might be picking your brain.
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Raphael

That's some beautiful work.  You'ld certainly get mobbed by admirers from the northern kingdom if you showed up with those seaxes at the penzic war.  Something else to add to the wish list.  ;)
  For years I've been promising myself a pair of weapon quality bastard swords, and figure I'm about due.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Don P

Welcome Jesse,

That is some handsome work. I really enjoyed the smelting article and the link to the Rockbridge bloomery articles too.

Jesse Frank

Thanks guys, I'm glad you all like it.

Yeah, I hear you on the spline issue. I think that I've decided to go with the traditional joinery on it,  I think it will really simplify raising.

That is very cool about the viking age excavation. I really like the idea of the farm being used for that long.   :)

I'd love to get up to pennsic! My wife's been bugging me to go for the last couple years....

Raphael

Quote from: Jesse Frank on March 13, 2007, 08:19:42 AM
I'd love to get up to pennsic! My wife's been bugging me to go for the last couple years....

I can imagine, it is something of an addiction... Twice in the late 80's I nearly dragged an entire carload of people there as we were passing by on the way south to an annual business conference just north of Pittsburgh.  I think the business suit and power tie look would have made for an interesting contrast in that sea of garb.  :D
  If you do make it there look for an East Kingdom encampment called "Buðgarðr" (pronounced "booth-garth"), Þóra (Thora) Sharptooth has a great interest in Viking history and her husband Dofinn-Hallr Morrisson is an old friend (a troubador focussed on 10th century woodworking) I'm sure he'd love to see your work.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Thank You Sponsors!