iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

asked to teach swing milling in Africa

Started by Part_Timer, August 09, 2007, 09:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

A while ago one of my bosses came up to me and asked if I could help him pick out a saw mill to send to Liberia for a missionary group he works with.  We did some looking around and I gave him a couple of suggestions and left it at that.  This week he comes down and asks if I've ever heard of a WPF Peterson.  UMMMM yep I know what that is why? ::) ::) ::)  Well it seems that they have found a WPF in Liberia but the group that has it won't turn loose of it until they can come up with a person that knows how to use it and is willing to teach them how to maintain it and make sure no one gets hurt.

Ok If someone from the group is willing to come to the house I can teach them so they can go to Liberia and teach the others how to mill.  Super easy no problem.  Well that is not exactly what the boss (Jon) was thinking.  He wants me to go with him to Liberia. :o :o :o He is setting up a solar power generation system for an orphanage and since I'm an electrician he can have me help out if necessary since I'll be there anyway teaching swing milling   :o 8) :o 8) :o 8) :o 8). 

Now this isn't a done deal by any stretch.  I still have to talk to the missionaries in charge and Jon still has to make arrangements with the church he belongs to so there is a long road to go and nothing is set in stone.  It may all fall apart before this is even begun.  Heck I don't even have Katie's permission yet. That may turn out to be the hardest part of all.  ;)

It sure seems to me like a big responsibility to me.  Anyone with a thought on this please chime in.  I'm just a bit overwhelmed with the thought of training folks halfway around the world on how to run a mill.  But it sure sounds like fun. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Sprucegum

Once you get there you will find you are both on the same side of the world  ???  :P   ;D

And a log is a log - only some are bigger, longer, harder, heavier,...........

I hope you get to go - Good Luck   8)

wesdor

I suggest you check out the situation in Liberia before heading out.  You may know they have had decades of deadly civil war. 

My Great Aunt (Marie Jensen) was the first white women into the interior of Liberia in the 1920's.  She founded the Phoebe Hospital and Sonyia Nursery.  My mother even travelled to Liberia in the mid 1970's to take Aunt Marie "back home".  She had spent 40 years as a medical missionary over there and then retired to the United States.  As it turned out she felt much more at home in Africa with her "family".

If you go, you will most likely fly into Monrovia (named for President Monroe who bought the land for freed slaves to be given a chance to return to Africa).  I'd be interested to know where you are headed since we might have some idea of the area.

Prior to the civil war, Aunt Maria's grave was a well marked spot on the main road headed into Monrovia, but I'm guessing it has not been well treated.  One little piece of trivia for you:  She was given an honorary citizenship to Liberia and has what we would call the Medal of Honor.  You see, Liberia is a country where a white person was/is? not allowed to own land or be a citizen.  I'm not sure if that has changed, but that was the case when she was alive.

Well, I've gone on way too long, but encourage you to make the trip if you can be certain of your safety.

WDH

P-T,

I would say Go For IT 8).............if the political situation looks OK. 

That is a big IF.  Missionaries are well intentioned, some some people in some parts of the world do not like outsiders coming in and telling them what to do.  I seem to recall that Liberia has been in the news in the last 6 months about unrest concerning a controversial president.  I may be mixing this up with another situation in Africa, but in any case, do some research.  I suggest you contact the State Department for their take on the situation there. They offer travel advisories that can provide you some valuable insight as to the political environment and the safety of travel to other countries in the world.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

It sounds like a great opportunity to help out others and to have a life-changing experience yourself.  If the political situation doesn't seem too risky, I would jump at the opportunity.  Keep us updated on how things work out!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

DanG

PT, I would also encourage you to go, if things seem stable at the time.  I had a similar experience some years ago.  I went to Haiti as part of a work team to build a church/school.  The political situation was somewhat volatile at the time, but we encountered no problems.  The military types were a bit confrontational at the airport, but once we got past that we found the people to be friendly and as excited as we were about our mission.  Once we got to the work site, we found legions of "helpers" and many onlookers that were anxious to begin using the building.  I was part of the team that was building the church furnishings.  One day, we had finished building a kneeling rail and had started on another when we heard a murmuring sound behind us.  We turned to find a small group of locals kneeling on that new rail to pray, not being able to wait until it was in place.  At that moment, we all knew that we had done the right thing by taking that little bit of time and effort to try and help those people out.

At that time, they were using pit saws and jack planes to make lumber for their humble homes.  I can't imagine the impact I would have had if I had taken a WPF down there!

Just remember two things: 1. Be humble.  Just act as if you were "one of the guys".
2. Don't try to preach.  The fact that you are there and are making a difference in their lives will say much, much more than any words you could speak.

Oh yeah, take lots of pics and share them with us. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: DanG on August 09, 2007, 11:15:43 PM
At that time, they were using pit saws and jack planes to make lumber for their humble homes.  I can't imagine the impact I would have had if I had taken a WPF down there!

Incredible.  We've had sawmills in this country for so long, it's easy forget how hard it is for people elsewhere in the world just to build a decent place to sleep at night.  My complaints (like a guy doing a subpar job of milling my logs) somehow seem trivial and shallow all of a sudden  :-[.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

sawmilllawyer

I say go  for it, probably a once in a lifetime deal. Would check political climate first, both at home and abroad. Just my 0.02.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

scsmith42

Part-timer:  Much good advice from others on this sting.

Here's my 2 cents...  When you're in the sunset of your life, and looking back upon the experiences and difference that you made in this world, I think that you would regret it if you didn't go. 

Helping others can be a life changing experience.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

lmbeachy

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity, I think the only regret you will have, is if you don't go and share with others the skills that you have.  Lester
hotfoot

artenvielfalt

hey guys, i´ve done a training in ivory coast and it sure was a big experience!
go for it.
i sold two ATS mills to a german help organisation to ivorie coast and then was asked to do a training for the operators down there.  the germans paid me good, but i would have done it for free flight too.  it is so good to see the other side of the world and see on how little people are happy and on how we can make a difference in sharing just some of our knowledge  and wealth with them.  we are sooooooo rich compared to all the people there in afrika.  i changed my way of thinking again on all the problems i have here, loans, work , no money in the account( means less than 5000€ in the bank).,............
they think different there.  it will be a good experience. and about your wife, ask her to come along and make a trip for the two of you.  if you can afford it.  there is so much to see if you get in contact with the locals and through the church group it will be easy.  try to make the experience together. 
if you won´t go i would depends on the expenses the church would pay,........
no serious, go for it.
hope you do and have a good time there.  if you go, contact me before to see if you have all the spare tools you might need, in ivorie coast they didn´t even have a srewdriver or some clippers, so i can give you a list what you might need to take along.
about the political situation yes, check it but trust in god that you are on a good mission for the people and don´t just take back if there is some trouble, the priest goes there too.
so much for now, cheers
ulf from germany

Part_Timer

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  I know that I've made up my mind and I got a shakey "go ahead" from Katie.  She does have a few issues with the whole thing and I know there is no way for me to assure her on them but I'll let her post them if she chooses.

Ulf thanks for the offer I know I'll be picking your brain a bit before I go. 

I did get a bit of good news.  The church is sending an overseas container ahead of us with all the solar equipment and other items.  I can put some tools and the like in it as well.  I sure was glad to hear it, I have a bit of equipment I'd like to have on hand like synthetic oil for the gearbox a grease gun and I see a couple of blue canthooks making the voyage as well  ;).  can't see a group of folks having a mill and no cant hooks.  I'm also going to add my extra electrical tools, just in case we need em.  I just hate not having my tools when I need um. 

I'll try and get permission to add the pic I got in an email last night.  It sure shows how determined they (the locals) are to make a new life.

Again thanks to everyone. 

Oh I almost forgot I get to get about a dozed shots for stuff I've never hear of and for sure don't want to find out what it is.  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Peterson 8" ATS.

Dan_Shade

there's a post on here where Ga_Boy gave Ron Weinrich some information on international travel a few months ago, read and reread that.

contact the state(?) department about any issues you may want to know about before you travel.  Don't forget that there are bad folks out there that would enjoy killing us just because we are americans....

all of that said, if it's safe (as I believe most areas are, especially rural areas), go for it, it sounds like a great opportunity!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

Tell Katie I'm willing to to go along and keep ya out of trouble. ;)

Part_Timer

Yah but who is going to keep you out of trouble. ;) :)
Peterson 8" ATS.

Furby

DanG

P_T, if you do make the trip, don't take anything with you that has special meaning.  You should purchase, or seek donations of any tools you might be taking.  Be prepared to leave behind anything you take.  On the Haiti trip, one of the guys had taken along an old Stanley plane that his Granddaddy had left him.  He was talked in to leaving it for some poor bloke to make a living with.  Buy or beg some good quality tools and plan on leaving them there.  I even left behind most of my clothes and shoes.  I came back with only the clothes on my back and a pair of flip-flops. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Part_Timer

Thanks for the advice Dang, Artenvielfalt has sent me some emails with the same advice.  Seems that he has spent some time in Africa himself. 

Sound like a good plan to me.  Who wants to drag all that stuff back through customs anyway. ;)

Peterson 8" ATS.

Dave Shepard

That is a good point DanG, sometimes I think I should have a second set of tools for when I leave the farm, never mind leave the country. :D This sounds like a fun trip.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

amberwood

I have never been there but have managed ships working along that coast. Def do not send or take anything that you could not leave behind. If anything goes in a container make sure it is left unopened until you arrive. Once a container seal is broken it tends to be free for all. The lack of cash and spares for everything tends to make anything that is not bolted down is free to a better home.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

asy

DanG beat me to the one piece of advice I was qualified to give!

Don't take ANYTHING you really want to bring back.

I learned that visiting relatives in Russia in '87 (still communist then, poor conditions, even worse than now, apparently).

Anyway, I got there with a Rucksack STUFFED with belongings, I left there with the clothes on my back, and some personal items they couldn't use. Everything got left. The conditions they live in make sure you are left in no misunderstandings that you're much better off than they are, and whatever you leave is STILL not enough. It CERTAINLY made me thank my lucky stars I live in Aussieland! Never have I taken what I have here for granted again.

So, I echo what others have said. GO! By all means, I would, political clime considered. But don't take anything you don't want to leave without. And take twice as much as you feel you'll need, because once you meet the people, you'll want to give them twice as much as you brought (if not more...).

Oh, and, really importantly, TAKE PHOTOS! Oh, and, if Katie's worried...  TAKE HER TOO!!!  (Someone'll need to hold the camera!)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Part_Timer

I mentioned to Katie about going and got "the look"  SHe would like to visit a few other countries but africa is NOT on the list of places to go.
Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

Crikey! I'd be there in a SHOT!

I can run a swing mill, hold a camera and haul and tote. I am also pretty handy with a hammer...

Where do I apply!?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Furby

Hey, I'm first in line Asy....... wait your turn!!! ;)

Part_Timer

yah but I bet she smells better than you do so get to the back of the line ;)
Peterson 8" ATS.

Thank You Sponsors!