iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fireplace Mantel.....My daughter wants a fireplace mantel......I need help

Started by Robert Long, August 13, 2007, 10:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Long

Hello out there!
Daughter wants a fireplace mantle. I know I can handle it, but I would like advice or direction on where to go to get info on mantels.  She is open to whatever I come up with so I am looking to do something unique.  The stone masons will be installing natural stone.  There is all the details.

Thanks for your input!

Robert

Don P

From the legal department;
Woodwork or other combustable materials shall not be placed within 6 inches of a fireplace opening. Combustable material within 12 inches of the fireplace opening shall not project more than 1/8" for each 1" from such opening.

We've had the masons embed either a pair of rocks for support under a mantle or stick 2 pieces of steel rod out that I can slip into holes bored in the back of the mantle. I make up a dummy out of scrap that they can stone around, slip it out when they are done and slip in the finished one.

WDH

Here is one I did for Dodgy Loner's Aunt...............Ash 4" by 12"'.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

When we got the "Right " log, we would take 4-5 cuts through and through. The top and bottom cuts were curved on one side. Cut the back side off square and use  curved
holders, like a cradle effect. The center cuts were left natural edge.

Does she like Rustic ??  Our logs had the water worn look from years being in the river current.  You can take a heavy wire wheel and similate the same look. 
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Robert Long

WDH 8)

Thanks a lot!! I really like what you have done with that mantel, and ash..we have a lot of ash around here.  In fact I am going out to the barn to hunt up some nice figured ash I put away a while back.

Thanks for tak'en the time to post the pic and answering to the question. 8) 8)

Robert

Robert Long

Don P ;) ;)

I need that info, great.

I will heed to all those measurements!

Robert

Robert Long

Fla.-Deadheader 8)

Thanks for the responce....Good question!!

Now I need to ask her if she wants the rustic look or a more formal look.

I was also thinking of two small mantel shelves at two different heights made with a couple thick slices of root.

Robert

WDH

The beads on the top and botom edges gives a more formal look.  The ends are cut on 45 degrees.  The finish (after much sanding to 220 grit) is Minwax Danish oil.  3 or 4 coats. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Robert Long

Thanks to all who viewed and gave advice, the stone mason is now finished and the mantel is in....sorry I do not have pics to show at this time.

Robert

WDH

We will give you the pics on credit for now, but you still have to pay up!

Thank You Sponsors!