iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Forum Mid Atlantic Chapter Meeting

Started by submarinesailor, December 04, 2007, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

smiley_fiddler On April 26, 2008, Graves Mountain Lodge is having their annual Spring Fling Festival (gravesmountain.com/springfling.htm) and the wife and I would like float the idea of having you guys in the Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia area (Ok, ok – and anyone else who wants to join in) to lunch that day.  We are going to call it the Forestry Forum Mid Atlantic Chapter Meeting – sorry Radar, I barrowed your good idea for the name. ;D ;D ;D

When we have done this type of lunch/picnic in the past, we tell people to go and enjoy the festival in the morning and come join us for lunch starting at about 1300 (1:00 PM). musteat_1 musteat_1 musteat_1  Check out their web site for all the shows, activities and events.

We usually provide most of the food; meats, salads, bread/buns, drinks, chips and other stuff. digin1 digin_2 food2 food1  But if you have a favorite dish that you are proud of, bring it along and share it.

If you would like to show up a day early and camp, Graves has plenty of RV camping space and we have about 2 acres cleared around the house.  So we have plenty of room.  Although, we only have one bathroom – been thru this before. ::) ::) ::)

So, if you would like to have lunch with a tried old bubblehead (subsailor) and his wife of 35 years, just give me/us a shout. smiley_thumbsup

Also, my pin on the Members Map is in the right location.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 04, 2007, 08:45:54 PM
dude, you live in the boonies!

Yep, isn't grand.  And I'm only 25 minutes from a small hospital and 35 minutes from the teaching one at UVA.  That little factor was important to the wife - she thinks I fall down a lot.

Bruce

Weekend_Sawyer

Bruce,

I am very interested. looks like it would be a nice spring bike run.
Of course about half the time I make plans, work changes them for me but that's the price I pay for being a master screwdriver pilot.

You are about 120 miles from me and near the skyline drive, one of my favorite rides!

Are there any hotel/motel/Bed n Breakfast's nearby? Alas the Lovely Miss Celest and I enjoy our creature comfort's after eatin bugs for a day.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

submarinesailor

Jon,

My wife and kids checked out the B&Bs in the area for my daughters wedding night.  They liked the Dulaney Hollow at Old Rag Mountain B&B Innhttp://www.iloveinns.com/bed_and_breakfasts/virginia/dulaneyhollowoldragmountainantiques.htm

Bruce

DR Buck

Man I don't know Bruce.   It's 31 miles from here.   :o   Don't know if I'll be able to afford the fuel for the truck.  :D        The owners of Rogers Ford Farm Winery are very good friends of ours and I see they are going to be there for the wine tastings and selling their products.   There is a possibility that the wife and I could get recruited into helping them out.  ;)   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR Buck

We've added it to the "to-do" calendar.   We're currently thinking we might drag the camper over the ridge and make a weekend of it.   Any recomendations of campgrounds close by?

Who else is showing up?   

Dan Shade, you could use a trip to the boonies!

submarinesailor

Dave,

Contact Graves Lodge.  If they don't have room and we take it slow, we should be able to park it in the yard.

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Too much snow between here and there, and no sign of stopping.  :'(

Although, days are getting longer and warmer.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

i should try to make this....   i may have to sleep in the truck, but I might try to make it!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

submarinesailor

Dan,

We have plenty of room for you and your truck.

Bruce

submarinesailor

Well it has been an ugly couple of weeks and weekends.  Kind of a triple whammy.  First I have been working a bunch of over time, remember I told you about the first of the year we were placed on notice that we could be on mandatory over time.  Well we're not on mandatory, but damg what a work load I have right now.  Second, two weekends in a row we had to run up to Toledo to move our daughter out of a mess up there.  DAMG the cost of diesel fuel is killing me.  Almost $400 for each trip, and that doesn't include food and drinks while on the road.  Moved her back down to Blacksburg.  All I will/can say about it is that she needed to get out her job because of her boss.  I really can't say more just in case she brings a law suit against the gardens she was working at.  And finally, I just came up from the basement where I found we have termites AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We are coming up from under the slab after going down the outside basement hall,  going under the footer and moving at lease 12 feet under the floor slab.  Never have I ever seen such determined termites.  We got into the wall thru a crack between the wall and the slab - 12 FEET BACK INTO THE ROOM.  So, now I have to get some professional outfit in here to treat the house.  More money out of my pocket.

The reason I started this post here is to let you guys know that because of money involved in all this, but with a great deal of regret, the wife and I must back out of our offer to host the Mid-Atlantic Chapter meeting that we had scheduled for the 26 of April.  We would have had to charge all the food and drink cost and with the way things are going, we just couldn't afford to take on any more debt at this time.  I hope, no I know you guys can under stand.  Sorry, but maybe next spring.

Bruce

Dan_Shade

ouch, that's a bummer, Bruce...

you going to make it to the Richmond, expo?

submarinesailor

No, I don't think so.  Money and time.........

Bruce

DR Buck

Bruce,

Sorry to hear about all the expensive bad stuff.   We went through some similar bad stuff like that with my mother in Jan & Feb.     

Kitty & I may still go up to the festival for the day.   It all depends on what piles up while we're in HAWAII !    8) 8) 8) 8)   and if there is any $$$$ left after the trip.  :D

Our son is reenlisting.   His reenlistment is being done by the "Navy God of all things Nuclear",  Admiral Donald, the 4 Star Chief of the Navy nuclear Program.  The command is making a big deal out of it  and we were invited.

Dan,    I canceled my May trip to Dayton, so I'll be making the trip to Richmond for at least 1 day.

Dan_Shade

Wow, that's a big deal, Dave, the 4 stars don't get out much! 

Thank You Sponsors!