iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning Strike

Started by IL Bull, April 22, 2008, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IL Bull

I am cutting these logs on shares.  They are white oak that has a lightning strike.  Only one log has the stike that goes straight.  Has anyone had experience cutting these?  Any help will be appreciated.  Here are some pics.   The last shot is the butt cut.
As you can see the split goes all the way to the center.  Is this normal?
Thanks,  Joe
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

olyman

have a pine it cracked all the way thru, and blew the bark off!!!! havent cut it down yet--as its solid otherwise--

pineywoods

Never cut any white oak with lightening strikes, but I cut a lot of pine that's been zapped.  No 2 are exactly alike but splits are fairly common. For some reason the butt cuts are usually hard as steel. If there is a flare to the butt, I have trouble with dives and climbs. Sap buildup on the blade (bandmill) seems a lot worse. I sawed up a 20 ft 30 inch pine today that had take a big lightening hit. Used 5 gallons of soapy water and 2 blades to make 2X6.
I would be interested in knowing if lightening has the same effects on oak.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Faron

I put the strike as close to a 45 degree angle to the blade as I can.  Cut as much as possible on the faces without the strike.Some of those boards that the strike come through will make short lumber. The split going clear to the heart is common, even expected,, in my experience.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Ron Wenrich

I've cut quite a few logs with seams.  They're not all lightning strikes.  I always put the seam on the corner of the log so that I can take off the split in my edgings.  You'll have to flip the log so that you cut on one face, then turn 90° and pull boards off of that side, then flip back.  You won't have as much waste as you think you should. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

IL Bull

Thanks,  45 degree angle is a great idea!  I was going to try and put it level with the bunks or straight up and down. 
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

getoverit

I sawed up a Hickory that had at leat 5 lightning strikes on it. I didnt see any real damage or differences in the wood to make any difference. This was done with a Peterson swinger....not sure if that makes any difference?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!