The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: GPS Units  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
GPS Units
« on: June 04, 2003, 07:03:44 AM »
Howdy Folks,

I am looking into purchasing an inexpensive handheld GPS unit.  Primarily, I want to be able to map harvest units and calculate acreage and map road systems to incorporate into a GIS system (ArcView).  

Any input on units and software that you may be using would be appreciated.  Thanks for the Help.

Wudman
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline Tillaway

• Forester
  • Funny looking tall guy.
    • Share Post
Re: GPS Units
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 12:30:22 PM »
Wudman,
Define inexpensive... it seems that interacting directly with ArcView requires a professional reciever and software solution.  However you can bypass this by  importing and exporting in an ascii format.  The problem with this is that you are very limited wth the type of data you can collect with the consumer GPS's.  Generally it is better not to even try to collect lines or area features with them.  Use a series of waypoints and connect the dots for area and lines.  Also naming and feature descriptions are a PITA and are limited.

The best receiver and software solution I have found is from CMT  www.cmtinc.com (not a link).  The PC-GPS 3.8 software is excellent.  It is much simpler and has tools specific to forestry.  I have found it much more fuctional for map making than ArcView.  The receivers are much less expensive than Trimble, Thales, Sokkia, etc. and are actually just as or even more accurate when compared with these units.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 08:46:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply Tillaway.  When I said inexpensive, I guess I meant cheap.  We've tested units from CMT, Trimble, and Northup on the high end scale.  I have decided to go with a Garmin Etrex Legend which I found for $139 after rebate.  I'll use this in conjuction with "GPS Utility" written by Alan Murphy and a script that will allow this data to be converted to a shapefile.  Once into a shapefile, I can import it into ArcView and utilize it in our GIS system.  The accuracy of these units is sufficient for our purposes.  To quote from Dr. Rich Oderwald, a pencil line on a 1320 scale map is 40 feet wide.  Thanks for your input.

Wudman  
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline Kevin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 05:33:20 PM »
I have the Etrex Summit and the only beef I have is that the navigation numbers are too tiny.
I don't know if they've made any improvements as of late.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
gps units

Started by Robert R on General Board

1 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 04:10:30 PM
by Danny_S
xx
square with 1/16's units only

Started by canopy on Timber Framing/Log construction

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 12:54:23 PM
by routestep