iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

peterson cost

Started by joshua5, June 10, 2003, 08:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua5

just trying to educate myself for many years down the road.  i realize that much of the info i obtain now will be invalid later, but i still like to learn...  how much for a hobbiest model of the peterson (i think it's the ats?).  do most of you run an 8" peterson?  how easy is the mobility/setup?  how small a log can you cut safely?  how in the world do you dog a small log?  i did a search but didn't really find what i was looking for.  thanks to all those who reply.  oh, any peterson users near philly or lincoln nebraska by any chance?  thanks again!

KiwiCharlie

G'day,
Check out their web site.  From memory they have prices on it.  You can always drop them an email for further info.
I was at the National Fieldays here in NZ today, and they were running an automated swing-blade mill.  Looked pretty swish, and ran well too.  Took a photo of it, will try to get it posted tommorrow.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

joshua5

yeah, i did that, but i didn't see prices.  maybe i didn't look hard enough (wouldn't be the first time).  i emailed them to send me some info.  thanks.

Captain

Hi Joshua,

You have some good questions.  

The ATS sawmill (I would hardly call it a hobbyist mill! ::)) with the 8" blade and 13 HP Honda is in the vicinity of $8000.  We used one here in Massachusetts last weekend in a field days demonstration, and it is a joy to operate.  There is a price reduction for the 6" version.  Understand that the ATS can be purchased with any blade and engine combination currently offered on the WPF, and rumor has it with track extensions now included to cut a full 20 foot log.  The ATS also is a "large frame" mill, which is an upgrade for the WPF.  Larger frame, bigger logs, or more smaller logs cut at once.

I am impressed with the ease of setup of the ATS.  My WPF goes together and is ready to cut on fairly even ground in about 15-20 minutes.  I have to bolt track sections together.  The ATS just goes right together in about 10 minutes and is easy to align the rails.  

Small logs? How small? I watched Chris Browne of Peterson in Bangor cut a cedar log, 8 feet long and less than 6 inches on the large end.  The logs are held with a dogging setup that is merely a steel plate with teeth in it applied to your wooden skids.  The log is dropped or driven into these steel teeth, and held quite effectively.  At home, I cut many small logs off the property for posts or 2x4s.

I'm just a mere 6 hours from Philly, come on up and cut with my WPF for a day.  Just got a slick electric winch to demo, a near release version, guess a final prototype, from Vermonter.   ;)I am sure he will chime in here sometime soon....

Captain

Bibbyman

I don't know much about swing blade mills but out on the Sawmill Exchange, there were a couple advertised that looked like bargains.  Maybe?

Scroll to the bottom.

Sawmill Exchange circular mills

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

joshua5

thanks guys.  captain, i may take you up on that someday.  i looked on the sawmill exchange and didn't see anything before, but i guess that's because i had the bookmark set to bandsaws.

JD_Kid

Hi ya
I have a ATS and find it good i did not want to get in to a high priced mill and looked at the cheep chainsaw mills peterson made (i don't know if it's still on the line up run with a 066 or bigger saw)so mine has a ATS track with a dolmar PS9010 power head with slaber addon this set up was a one off ,looking back i think i'd start off with the 8 inch model bit more power and bigger cut ..eazy mill to use and not super fussie on set up
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

joshua5

jd kid, you said you think you would have rather started with the 8" model for more power and bigger cut.  i'm a hobbyist looking for an education at this point but would like to be able to cut my own woodworking lumber in the distant future.  how big a board can you cut with the 6".  i'm thinking it would be fine for my interests, but i am interested in the 8" as well.  who knows, by the time i'm serious about doing anything, the 6 may be discontinued!  thanks for everyone's reply!

JD_Kid

Hi ya
well i have a 6 inch cut but with lack of Hp (ie running a chainsaw power head 5 inch in tough going kinda max's it out) but in saying that with another motor 6 inch will be no probs if main cutting is 4X2 3X2 4X1 4x4 or for a bigger beam (twincutting )8X4 OR 10 X4 or 12X? ya can do this with a 6 inch eazy even 6X1's if ya have the power ...the 8 inch will cut with twin cuting up to a 16 inch beam that a big stick in anyone's books ,but once ya get that big ya maybe better slabbing ya table tops ,benchs etc etc with the mill i have i'ved cut stock yard rails and made tables and forms for outdoor use with the right timber i could cut flash looking stuff for inside too ,like ya saying for woodworking IE a set of drawers a 8 inch board would make a draw face but 6 ya may have to join ...ask peterson's about it ya may find there is a way of upgrading at a latter date cheaper ,it might be a bigger motor and 6 inch to start or a small motor with the 8 inch blades ..as far as set up etc etc this is my frist mill with no milling background i have found this mill eazy to run ..any ?ya have ask i'll try and fill ya in if i can
catch ya
JD Kid
PS if only doing a small amount what about a older log locust if not doing ton's of wood this may fill the gap and low cost  

JD_Kid

Hi ya
Hay click on the peterson link on the side ,and look in 2ND hand mills  there is a LL for sale with a 088 power head there is a contact number etc etc ya could talk to him by the sounds of it he's looking at upgradeing to a ATS could be a start for ya
catch ya
JD Kid

KiwiCharlie

G'day JD,
Im still looking at the Log Locust.  Thats a unit I could slog my way into a really remote spot for some onsite milling.  And I mean slog!  Would want an 088 on it though.
Cheers
Charlie.

woodbeard

Ya, the 090's a tad heavy for slogging ::)

JD_Kid

Hi ya Kiwi
what one ya looking at ?? the early one i think maybe a islander ???the later one has the drop down clamps on the up rights,this is what i looked at for my frist mill then thought what IF i want more power etc etc so mine is a cross LL frame with power head and ATS tracks to step up i can sell or change the cutting frame to any size that fit's the ATS tracks also i got the slaber too, take the power head off and slab not a bad set up the 088 would be a good saw 90 odd cc is a bit small on bigger cuts
catch ya
JD Kid

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

woodbeard - You got that right mate!!  Im sweating just thinking about it!  :o

JD - Sounds like youve got a nice custom model - Im looking at the current model, I guess thats the one with the drop down clamps.  An 088 at 121 odd cc's should cover a bit of timber.  If I got it, it would only be be for the really remote stuff, where you really need to get your gear into the job site.  Anywhere else, and I would have the Mahoe set up and bring the logs to the mill.
http://www.sawmills.co.nz/mini.html
Cheers
Charlie.

JD_Kid

Hi ya Kiwi
yea it was that bit and this bit of that kinda mill  :Dwith the power head i can fell,mill and slab.. with the mill i can upgrade to the biggest ATS so it was a good starting point the LL did ring my bells with it's setup and eaze of use and $$$$$$$$ i kinda thought it's maxed out tho and if i needed or wanted a bigger mill i'd have to buy the whole lot this way just the cutting frame BUT i could also buy a bigger cutting frame and keep the saw frame for jobs like ya talking about the ATS set up is not that hevey the cutting frame would be the biggest part.. all the ATS i can carry myself but unless wheeling the cutting frame it would be a 2 man kinda job and if ya had a big saw already maybe a small honda might be the go (but now ya need work to keep it feed ;D ) do they still make them?? looking at the link on the side i don't see the LL in there line up
catch ya
JD Kid

Thank You Sponsors!