iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill shed

Started by John_Haylow, October 24, 2008, 09:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

Hi everyone.
I finally got started on the sawmill shed that I have talking about for some time.The building is 24' x 36' using a cantilever truss giving me an extra 10' out one side with no posts to set the mill under. Most of the material was milled from pine from our lot.

I decided to put typar on as I will just be using random width pine boards for siding without using battens, I thought it would help keep the rain and snow out. I plan to use two 12' barn style doors on double tracks on each end so you can have a drive through effect.

I have good friend who is a builder and could not have done it without his help. I learned a lot and it was fun doing it.

Also is a picture of the outhouse before I had the roof on.

Thanks for looking,
John

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Robert Long

Hi John  8)

Very nice looking shed,  I wish I too could move along with such plans......but building permit problems and permits could become an issue down here.  Anyway, nice to see all is well with you! ;)

Robert

Captain

Nice sawmill shed and I like the portable bathroom as well.

Captain

gizmodust

Good looking shed.  And you always use privacy 8) 8)
Always liked wood with alot of character

Ron Wenrich

OK, I gotta ask.  Why all the room in the shed if you're going to be parking the mill in the overhang?  Is that for lumber storage?

It is a nice shed. 

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 25, 2008, 11:44:49 PM
OK, I gotta ask.  Why all the room in the shed if you're going to be parking the mill in the overhang?  Is that for lumber storage?

It is a nice shed. 

A lot of building for portable mills end up with a large overhang and the mill under it.  It gives clear access to three sides with no posts to bang into.  It would take a building maybe 4X larger to put the mill inside, get an opening big enough to get long logs into and have room to work around. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

John_Haylow

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 25, 2008, 11:44:49 PM

It is a nice shed. 

Hi Ron.
Bibbyman is correct about the overhang giving three sides unobstructed. The rest of the building will be used for equipment- implement storage. I also plan on having a 5th wheel trailer.

John

thecfarm

I like the over hang for the sawmill.Now you can saw in the rain and keep dry well sawing.Good planing and idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Some of you guys that are limited to what you can build for a mill building,put up one of those plastic covered garages.When people get used to seeing it let it morf into a permanent building,start simple and let it grow.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cheyenne

I hope you don't mind if I steal your overhang idea. I have been trying to plan a shed for six mos. with a 30' open side for my mill and you have solved my problem. Now i can build it the way I want. Good freind you have & many thanks....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Bibbyman

Here is a sawshed with overhang at the Wood-Mizer field office in Mt. Vernon, Mo.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

John_Haylow

Quote from: cheyenne on October 26, 2008, 08:14:14 PM
I hope you don't mind if I steal your overhang idea. I have been trying to plan a shed for six mos. with a 30' open side for my mill and you have solved my problem. Now i can build it the way I want. Good freind you have & many thanks....Cheyenne
Cheyenne, I'm glad you like it and hope it works out for you.
John

cheyenne

I think you might need a seat belt in that porta-potty...........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

John_Haylow

Quote from: cheyenne on October 27, 2008, 09:09:52 PM
I think you might need a seat belt in that porta-potty...........Cheyenne
I knew I was missing something. ;)
John

Toolman

Also need an internet hookup in that pottie so that you can use forum while taking care of business. Efficiency is important :D          Darn nice saw shed!! That oughta keep ya out of trouble! ;)
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

bandmiller2

Usally your taxed on a building footprint not overhang its like free shed area.Whats really nice is a covered log brow to keep snow ice and rain off you and the logs.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Handy Andy

Here I was planning to start on my saw shed as soon as I get the rest of the beans cut and the cows moved home, and now  you guys are bringing up all sorts of ideas that make me scratch my head and wonder what the right way to build a saw shed is?  Was going to enclose the thing, and put a big door on the north with a smaller door on the south, so the air could blow through.  There is a tree on the west side, that I thought might shade the shed a bit in summer and keep it from being so hot.  Now I was readin about a way of getting the exhaust out of the building, and was also thinkin of a way to blow the sawdust outside.  So, maybe the right way to build it is with this overhang?  Was planning to do most of my sawing in winter, so thought the mill should be inside.  Then how to deal with exhaust.  My mill is gas, so that is probably nastier to breathe than diesel.  Sure as you put a turbo vent on, there won't be any wind when you want to saw.  And a huge pile of sawdust inside doesn't sound good.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Toolman

YOU LUCKED OUT!! It's much easier to change your plans on paper!!!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Handy Andy

No kiddin, staked it out today, decided the shed could be a little less in size without the mill in there, and lookin at 10' leanto for the mill.  Think I could use a bigger pole where those trusses go and just kindof mortise a hole through and put a board through and a bolt through it so I could get by without  a leg.  You see those type leantos on steel buildings without legs, bet I could do it with lumber.  Then I don't have to cantilever the trusses and make the building smaller. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!