iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flu shots

Started by pineywoods, December 11, 2008, 11:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Wife and I got a flu shot yesterday. Went to a local clinic, 2 minutes to get the shot and nearly an hour to handle the DanG gubberment paperwork. Back when I was in the military, flu shots were mandatory, and I usually got a mild case of flu from them. When I returned to civilian life, I quit taking them. Then our old family doc grabbed me by the shoulder and told me "boy flu kills old people and you're old, besides you have a dis-abled spouse to care for. Now roll up your sleeve" I did, and no problem for several years...until yesterday. I had a rough night, chills, a little fever, shakes, and hurt all over..Anybody else affected like this, or am I just weird 
OK, I know I'm a little weird in the head, but that don't count ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Got my flu shot, and didn't fill out anything. My name was put on a form, and the shot given (by a gal in sloppy jeans and dis-heveled hair and an attitude like she didn't really want to be bothered by her turn to give a flu shot). Took all of 5 minutes.

Sorry to hear about your long episode with the paperwork. Wonder why?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

I usually just end up with a sore arm from the shot, but I have heard that some people will get minor symptoms, you should check it out with the Doc. if they persist.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Larry

Like you when I was in the service they were mandatory...and lotsa folks got a minor case of the flu.  So...haven't had one until last year.  Last year I got the flu which later turned into bronchitis.  I was bad off...after Doc got me cured I got the flu shot along with a pneumonia shot.  First one in line this year alone with Dad, and Kathy.  Took 5 minutes for all three.  No after effects.  Dad and Kathy have been getting flu shots for years with the only side affect a sore arm.

Our county even had a drive by vaccination.  No need to get out of the car...we didn't go there but folks said it was a 5 minute deal also.  They were free for folks without insurance.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

Larry,drive by vaccination,now that is funny.What's next?
I have heard of people having the same thing as you pineywoods.Isn't that what the vaccination is,a very,very mild dosage of the flu,in the since of a word?.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

J_T

Next year they may use one those guns an shoot you in the but as you walk by  :D :D For folks like me they will put a scope on it an get me across the street  :D :D
Jim Holloway

woodsteach

As a teacher I'm supposed to get one, but the first year I did, that WEEK I was out with the stuff BAD.
Guess what I have not had the shot since, but I have had the flu just not that bad.

Now I suppose you old timers should get the shot but I'll wait until then to get one!!

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Bill Johnson

Wife and I got ours, took all of 2 minutes no side effects.  Going back to the nurse practioner on Friday she says she'll give us pneumonia vaccinations this time. :-\
Bill

pappy19

Me and the wife get one every year. I haven't had the flu for 20 years. This year the doc said we had a choice of a shot or the nose spray. I chose the shot and the wife chose the nose spray. We'll just have to see if either of us get the bug.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Chuck White

Got mine about an hour ago, both Flu shot and Pneumonia shot.

Usually have no side effects, but this is the first time for the pneumonia shot!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

I've had the flu shot every year since leaving the service. Just got one at the VA clinic last week; only took a minute since I had to be there anyway. I've never had a reaction, but some do.

I've had the pneumonia shot twice now. They are good for 5 years.
~Ron

Raider Bill

I got the drive by shot, Rolled up on the Harley, paid my $10 got poked rode off. Simple :o

That was a a month and half ago. No problems!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Corley5

Wish I could ride my Harley to get a flu shot  ;)  It's probably not too good in snow and salty slush  ;) :)  Suppose I could add some studded tires  ;D  I've been getting a flu shot every year since 96 except 2003 and I thought I was gonna die from the flu I got.  Dee got it that year also and she'd had the vaccine  :-\  I haven't gotten mine yet this season but have to go to town next week and have plans to stop at the Health Dept for one  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Onthesauk

Anyone getting a pneumonia shot every 5 years?  My doctor is now telling me it's a one time thing but I thought you had to get one every few years.  (This after spening 5 days in the hospital with pneumonia.)

Got the flu shot the first week they were offered.  Have gotten them for years.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Handy Andy

My granddaughter, 4 yr old, got a swab in the nose for flu.  Then she got the flu, and for some reason we were there for supper, and I had to sit by her, she was blowing raspberrys at the table, and I got the crud.  This is my 3rd week, can't quite shake it off.  Holding up my building. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

moonhill

I have always been under the impression the flu shot only covers the most prominent bug.  There are others which may be running around.  If you had the shot and then come down with something, most likely it was something you already had, the flu shot doesn't make you the least bit ill.  Someone else who is more knowledgeable like your doctor would be the one to ask.

I have heard the preservatives in the vaccines are potentially harmful, this of course is verging on conspiracy.  Fluoride is in the same boat. 

Some flu seasons go by and I get bug after bug, they linger for weeks.  I often think I should have gotten the shot. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

nsmike

I get my flushot almost every year I got mine on monday. I had no immediate side effects but came down with the flu thursday. I don't think that the shot had anything to duewith getting the flu because my daughter has it too. I am up because my fever broke and and I could drink a barrel of water. Coincidently thursday was the day they confirmed flu in the state. If things go as normal I'll be fine tommorow because it seems that when I get the shot and later get the flu it lasts about 3 days. Remember it takes about 10 days for full immunity after the shot.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!