iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question on milling clap boards

Started by beav39, March 11, 2009, 06:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beav39

i have a guy that wants me to mill 6500lineal feet of clapboards how do others charge for this ?by the hour?if so what is everyones average hourlyrates i saw by the bdft most of the time just not sure what a fair hourly rate is    thanks    scot
sawdust in the blood

bandmiller2

Beav,to start with by the hour until you get a good feel for production,then offer by linear feet or board feet same thing for you but folks like options.Like shingles its very time consuming alot of loss and handling by the hour is best you can't loose.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beav39

thanks frank,i was thinking by the hour is the best         scot
sawdust in the blood

ErikC

If you charge by the bf, or if they would rather you did,  I would scale it all as 1". By the hour is definitely more of a sure thing.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

beav39

what do most guys consider a fair rate?just curios   thanks     scot
sawdust in the blood

cheyenne

I would see what lumber yards are getting and go from there. Just make sure you make money....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

DR Buck

Quote from: beav39 on March 11, 2009, 04:17:05 PM
what do most guys consider a fair rate?just curios   thanks     scot

I think it's all a matter of what your market will bear and what you value your worth at.   Here in Northern VA and DC area I won't saw by the hour for less that $65.   Note, I said less than.  ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

moonhill

What size and flavor are the logs?  Size does matter.  What is the procedure you are planning on using?  Tapered? Do you have a jig?  You could saw them not tapered.   

Tim

This is a test, please stand by...

Gilman

Are you going to make the clapboard without a resaw attachment?  I always charge by the lf for siding but have FF member Duncan's attachment to use.  I wouldn't consider making it without one. Duncan has cut a lot more clapboard siding that I have, I'll email him and see he he'll chime in.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

beav39

moonhill,ill be sawing eastern white cedar,fairly good stuff,ido have a siding jig for my wood mizer.usally only saw for myself when i need siding?  do you charge for the cants plus siding or two separate charges?thanks    scot
sawdust in the blood

moonhill

scot, I use both cedar and white pine.  I saw the sap wood into boards leaving a heart wood cant which is split up into 5" thick chunks and resawn into 1/2"x5" clap boards.  I don't have a jig.  If they are your logs charge what the building supply stores charge or more if it is a better grade.  As cheyenne said, "Just make sure you make money....  or you are giving to a charity, then deduct on your taxes.   

Tim

beav39

moonhill,do you saw full time ?where do you buy your cedar from   local?
sawdust in the blood

moonhill

beav39, I use local cedar.  I saw full time when I am sawing.  If I am not sawing I am building timber frames.  If I am not framing I am dealing with blueberries.  If I am not dealing with blueberries I am either sawing or building.  I don't saw much for others, small jobs, most if it is for the clients I am building for. 

We used to pick berries down your way, in Otisfield, we would swim daily in Saturday pond. I ran a small crew, 10-12 of us, we would them move over to the New Hampshire border.

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!