iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

making money the thin kerf way ?

Started by paul case, November 12, 2009, 11:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain_crunch

Full demention rough sawn lumber is my only selling point 1X12 is full inch by 12" as well as wiered dementions cut 12 -1 1/4X 6 1/2 for a fellow to match his sheathing boards from old shop to new one. Just wished I knew how to price the sawing cant charge by hr beings I may have to chase cows out of mill once or twice and I can't compete with big boys who live on over run as per what you can recover out a 40 ft log(the only length that brought any money) beings they will ony pay 125.00 per thousand under 20 ft compared to 550.00 fer 40's and the reason why is very little over run in short logs so I saw the short ones
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

jimparamedic

1" and under is still an 1"  1.5" and over is 2" works good for me because it costs the same every time the saw goes through the log.

captain_crunch

Really sawing by the linear ft would be the best way if you are cutting someone elses trees. Fourms tool computes 1.25 boards as well as 1.50 so I just use it on lumber cut from My trees
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: jimparamedic on January 12, 2011, 08:08:15 PM
1" and under is still an 1"  1.5" and over is 2" works good for me because it costs the same every time the saw goes through the log.

But, doesn't it take the same amount of time to cut the 2" way as the 1" way?  Sounds like you're charging double for making the same cut in, but pulling more wood on the 2".  Just saying.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chuck White

Sometimes you have to figure in the handling when it comes to 2" vs 1".

A 2x6 is twice the weight as a 1x6.

Same as the extra handling when making 4 cuts to saw out an 8x8 beam, the length of your mill.

Doing that, the cuts are relatively cheap, then comes the issue of the extra handling.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

Using that argument means I should charge more for cutting 1" oak than 2" aspen.  Pine 8x8 would be cheaper priced than 8x8 oak. 

paul case

i wonder how the lumberyard prices their lumber. i promise an oak 8x8 would be much higher than a pine 8x8 in any lumberyard.  you may say we are not in competition with them but us small custom mills are. if my trailer flooring was much higher than treated lumber at the box store, i would loose quite alot of customers.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

r.man

If a customer wanted all long and large and extra help or machinery was needed then a extra charge would be levied. Oak vs pine might not incur an extra charge but that is probably because your charge rate is averaged between easy and difficult, hard and soft. If two customers wanted all their cutting at the opposite ends of the scale then the easier of the two should probably get a break. That means the harder of the two should pay more. If life was fair. Which it isn't.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: paul case on January 13, 2011, 01:48:01 PM
i wonder how the lumberyard prices their lumber. i promise an oak 8x8 would be much higher than a pine 8x8 in any lumberyard.  you may say we are not in competition with them but us small custom mills are. if my trailer flooring was much higher than treated lumber at the box store, i would loose quite alot of customers.pc

But, aren't you talking about sawing costs?  Oak is higher than pine because the base value of the log is higher.  Same goes for the lumber.  The base is higher, so they charge more. 

ely

i get .25 cents bdft for sawing the customers logs into lumber, no matter what diminsion they request.
if someone is wanting their logs sawn out into large beams or whatever, then we will come to an agreeable price before i saw.( meaning i do not charge someone by the board ft when sawing the large beams out.)

Magicman

Some sawyers here charge more for sawing 1" vs 2".  My charges are "across the board".  Same price for sawing lumber, no matter what dimension.  I scale each board.  1" or less = 1".  1"-2" = 2", etc.  Cants and beams are sawed hourly rate.

I use a Saw Contract and each item is discussed prior to sawing.  I have never had a charging/billing issue.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

captain_crunch

Magicman
I agree with you Same amount of fuel and time no mater thichness. I saw 1 in min so anything I goof and make under 1" is a freebee in my book. But I got to get smarter and quit ending up with a 2X3 dog board ::) ::) So far not much market fer that demintion ??? ??? ???

Magicman

Since you run a circle mill, I have no answer for your dog board thickness.

With a band mill, if you start at the right place, the dog board will be the same thickness as the rest.  I use a "Cheat Sheet" which list my starting points, but the newer computers eliminate this need.  I think they are the ones cheating.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

From the point of view of the customer, I can't understand getting charged extra 1/4's for wood not in the board.  If I wanted walnut logs sawn at 6/4 would I be charged for 8/4?  Why would different math be used in "framing" lumber?  Often we use yellow poplar up here for framing so should the softwood scales, ideas, whatever's apply to poplar "framing" lumber?

At the end of the day having material custom sawn for me is a very cost effective way towards a large pile of material.  So certain "upcharges" can be added to a bill for a man to stay in business and is understandable.  But paying for extra wood not in an actual board would be a tough pill to swallow.  Those extra 1/4's can add up to an extra board in the cant.  Thereby adding more $$ to the bill (overrun) for the sawyer.

All that being said, quality, attitude, and professionalism can more than make up for fuzzy math come billing time.  :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2011, 08:20:45 AM
Since you run a circle mill, I have no answer for your dog board thickness.

With a band mill, if you start at the right place, the dog board will be the same thickness as the rest.  I use a "Cheat Sheet" which list my starting points, but the newer computers eliminate this need.  I think they are the ones cheating.   ;)

The same works for circle mills.  I've heard it called inside out sawing.  You simply start with a target size and build a stack with board thicknesses and kerf allowance.  The tricky part comes when you want to saw multiple thicknesses.  I'll often have to saw 5/4 in F1F and btr, and 4/4 in the lower grades.  You have to learn how to read a log.  And sometimes you end up with a shim cut.

paul case

mm ,
for us guys without a computer we just have to do a lot of figuring or writing it down when we get to the ''cant'' cuts. if you can remember you are dong well. if a pencil is handy i write it down on the blade guard rite in front of me . i am half your age and i cant remember.

metalspinner,
as far as being charged for a2'' board and recieving a 1.5'' board, people do this every time they buy lumber in the store. they call them 2x4 s and they are1.5''x3.5''. this is why we always charge 1'' and down as 1'' and 1'' to 2'' as 2''. this means that 6/4 is charged as 2'' .pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

metalspinner

Quoteas far as being charged for a2'' board and recieving a 1.5'' board, people do this every time they buy lumber in the store. they call them 2x4 s and they are1.5''x3.5''. this is why we always charge 1'' and down as 1'' and 1'' to 2'' as 2''. this means that 6/4 is charged as 2'' .pc

There are a couple of difference, though.  The material at the big box is finished, not roughsawn.  It's also KD.  And I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of acquiring logs, labor, stacking, paying sawyers, building code questions, etc, etc.  One isle over from the framing lumber are the hardwood stacks where they are charging $10+ BF for flatsawn redoak.  Are you charging the same for that product?

I am an enlightened woodworker that sees all the advantages of hiring custom cutters to saw my own logs.  Some of which are quality of product, supporting local business, developing relationships, going green, blah, blah, blah.  Not to mention it's downright fun!   :)

These questions I bring up are not to be argumentative. I'm just digging a little deeper for a better understanding.  It is my hope to someday own a mill, so all of this will be filed away in my memory for further discussion and developement.  It is wise to keep the customer's point of view in mind when making your business policies. Does the value of the end product make sense for a continuing relationship? If you and your customers are in agreement on the terms and conditions, that is the most important thing. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Chris, I made a broad statement and for simplicity sake lumped flat sawed and framing lumber together.  I really shouldn't have.

For flat sawed lumber, I scale exactly as you stated.  For dimensional framing lumber I scale as I stated above.  No, it's not planed and KD'ed, but it isn't "Box Store" price either.  I scale a 1.5"X3.5" as a 2X4.  5.3 board feet.  My saw price is about 1/3 of what store price is.

Bottom line, if I provide quality lumber and the customer and I both understand the cost and are satisfied, all is OK.

Chico

Cost s more to cut a thousand foot of 4/4 than it does a thousand ft of 8/4 or timbers should have a pay scale for each  jmo and as far a lumber measurement it's an accepted practice on dressed lumber the plus is a much more uniform pc of lbr vs roughcut and yes roughcut can be very close but not as close as a planer set up correctly
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

backwoods sawyer

I measure the whole stacks at the end of the day rather the pieces x length x thickness ect. I also charge the same for a beam as I would for a stack of thinner boards that totals the same board footage. If my hourly rate total is less then the bft total, I charge the lesser of the two. However, for hardwoods it is hourly as is handling over sized logs.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!