iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Quartersawn white oak WDH and I cut.

Started by customsawyer, December 28, 2009, 02:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

What a log  8).

40 inches DBH and 10.5 feet long. 

We quartersawed the log and got 80% or more of q-sawn boards with most of the rest rift sawn.  Easily over 80% FAS.  Only two flatsawn boards from the entire log  ;D.

Widest boards were 27.5".  Lots of 12" FAS q-sawn boards.  Not sure of the total yet, but it looks like about 500 BF came from this one log.  Customsawyer's LT70 was up to the task.  He shaved off the slabs to form an octagon shape.

This log would have made my little LT15 run for cover and say, "Please don't put that big honker on me !"  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

That is a brute! Looks like a nice day for sawing to.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

Nice size log, way to big for my little norwood also.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Mooseherder

Whose Park is dat back behind the Back Hoe? :D

Larry

Nice looking log...what kind of fleck did she show?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

customsawyer

Here is a pic of the fleck that we got.

Dat park be my front yard.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

This was a great day in that I got to spend it in my yard with a great friend, sawing a great log taking the time to produce great lumber. Then my wife called us into the house for a great lunch. Don't get much better than that. 8) 8) 8)
www.thecustomsawyer.com

zopi

I q-sawed a 29" red oak last weekend...no small chore on a 15...the log was a butt log and poor grade...my best board didn't look as good as that one..

The next log up the tree should yield better..hope so..gotta guy wants q-sawn bad...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Larry

Nice...it takes experience to make em look like that.

Great job. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

customdave

Man that is nice lumber!! makes me drewal  a little , okay a lot....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Jasperfield

Boy! That really is nice lumber. I still think white oak is the best all-around tree in the country. We just don't have much of it remaining in the Southern Appalachians.

A log like that would make some good post & rung chairs, too.

southpaw

That is very nice, I have ? why did you octgon the log? is this the best way to quarter saw or just to fit on mill? thanks Loren

Dan_Shade

southpaw, sawing the log into an octogon is a way to quartersaw a log.

check out this post for more info:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,27916.0.html
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

scsmith42

Nice boards!!!

I have some 20" QSWO boards in the kiln right now (50" log); there's nothing like milling the big ones.

Looks like a Cat 420D-IT too...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

The log was too big for the mill, so Jake had to whittle it on the butt end to remove any flare.  By cutting the octagon, he was able to shape the log so that the widest boards were 27 & 3/4" wide.  There was only about 1/4" of clearance on either side to make the center cut!  Now that is precision  ;D.  Also, as Bibbyman pointed out in the "Quartersawing Tutorial" thread, the octagon approach gets the bark off and really cleans up the log and gives the perfect faces to clamp the log to get the blade perpendicular to the growth rings.

Once the octagon was formed, he centered the pith and cut an 8/4 by 27 & 3/4" and a 4/4 by 27 & 3/4" from each side of the pith.  We wanted to cut several 8/4 in case someone needs some wide, thick, q-sawn white oak for a large table.  He then took the top cant and bottom cant and sawed the center section of these two cants to yield some 8/4 and 4/4 q-sawn boards that were 11 to 12" wide.  That left two odd shaped cants that we configured to saw perpendicular to the growth rings.

This is the Arky-Bibby method illustrated in the "Quartersawing Tutorial" thread that Dan posted the link to.

I have the desire and Customsawyer has all the equipment and know-how, so we were not a bad team  ;D.  That lunch was as awesome as the log, too  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

southpaw

Thanks Dan for the link, after looking at it I remember Bibbymans post and WDH thanks for your response and pics, I'm trying to learn you guys sure help, thanks agian.

customsawyer

Yes that is a 420DIT. It is one of the most universal machines around a small mill. Since I put the thumb on it to help when doing logs like this one.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Norm

Great job guys!

This is my favorite time of year to saw WO. Cold weather really helps to keep it from checking, and I knew it was cold down there since I saw CS wearing his heavy winter coat. :D

stonebroke

Quote from: Norm on December 29, 2009, 08:43:10 AM
Great job guys!

This is my favorite time of year to saw WO. Cold weather really helps to keep it from checking, and I knew it was cold down there since I saw CS wearing his heavy winter coat. :D

How cold is it down in GA.? We would not want you to freeze. :D :D

Stonebroke

fishpharmer

Customsawyer and WDH thats really awesome!  What a wonderful way to spend time with friends.  Sure is nice of you two to share the experience with the rest of your FF friends.  So you sharing the wood with us too?  ;) :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DanG

Quote from: stonebroke on December 29, 2009, 08:53:08 AM

How cold is it down in GA.? We would not want you to freeze. :D :D

Stonebroke

You might want to talk with Jeff, Corley5, and Sprucebunny before you laugh too hard.  They were all shiverin' and huggin' the fire at 50 degrees down here. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Radar67

I kinda like the fire at 50 too.  ;) The humidity down here makes a big difference in how cold it feels.

Fish, I may have some honker red oaks to quarter soon. Didn't you say you wanted to come visit?  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thank You Sponsors!