iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home Built Sawmill Count

Started by Firebass, December 31, 2009, 05:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

This was a fun build...cantilever head, 24 hp Honda

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

bandmiller2

Drifty, that looks like a world class bandmill, well done. Do you sharpen and set your own bands.??  Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Chris, you have one of very few cantilever homebuilts I've seen. I considered it buy wimped out and went four post. Good looking mill. Frank C.

Larry

Welcome Driftless.  Impressive machine.  Bet there are lots of hours in it. 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

m wood

Driftless, that there is a thing of beauty! well done and welcome.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

thecfarm

Left Coast Chris,guess I missed yours, I think that is the only homemade one like that. Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Left Coast Chris

Thanks.  It is fashioned after an LT30 but modified for higher head lift and slightly wider throat.  I can cut a little over 27" wide.  One lesson learned is the cold roll steel for the track that is welded to the frame that the head bearings travel on should be harder than mild steel.  Mine developed a flat spot but if I keep it pitch free it will travel just fine.  Only had a problem with pitchy cedar once.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Red Good

I am still in the collecting parts stage but have the motor I will be using complete with good rad and carbs and fans andsensors . Looking at the Linn mills 19 " wheels and  thier band cover setup/ guards  Priced track and 3/8 angle and bunk material this week  while picking up our laser order . 2 in square tube heavy wall we have in stock . Suppose I could  make all my motor mounts . Moving along just not much to show for it yet . Red

There are some serious pro looking homebuilts in this list , congrats to everyone .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

bandmiller2

Red theirs nothing wrong with 19" wheels, if you get short bandlife with them theirs something else wrong. If I were building another bandmill I think I would make it a self propelled unit with a drivers seat. The track could be angle iron, wheels "V" and long track.  If it will be stationary you could use angle iron on wood to support track. A rolling log turner like Elk 42. Frank C.

Driftless

Thanks for the comments.  I attached some more pictures.  I got the idea for the log loader from another user here (can't remember the name).  So I can't take credit for it.  It works well, but it is heavy and can be hard to load at the end of a long day!  I saw mostly for myself, but lately have been sawing more and more for other people (mostly neighbors).  I sawed some large and long burr oak last year that really pushed the limits of the mill.  I am in process of designing a sharpener now and just started making parts for a setter.  I have more hours in this rig than I care to add up.  But it was a great experiance.

Hilltop366

Some really nice looking home built mills!

Thanks to all who shared.

Peter Drouin

I must say we have a bunch of talented people here, Heres to you all.
smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I agree with Peter, outstanding show of talent, and design.  Very impressive work,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Hello Driftless, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

Your sawmill as well as Left Coast Chris' are very innovative to say the least.  Both of you have demonstrated exceptional talent.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buffer

17' long 31" wide bandmill still in the imagineering stage , photos will follow.
Stihl 026, Homemade Log Arch, LSG3033H FEL, Bandsaw fabrication in progress. Now Done. Thats a First

MikeZ

Homemade 36" x 20' Still have hyds and hope to be portable some day, just can't keep from sawing like it is. Picture taken on very first(attempt) cut.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

arnold113

I'm very surprised to see so many shop built mills. I was beginning to believe they were few and far between. My mill is still in progress. I've been working on it for 2-3 years off and on  when I managed to get a few $$ to work on it. It has been built out of repurposed material.  36" x 18'. 18 hp Wisconsin. hyd pineywoods log turner, log loader, two roller toe bds. Hyd is by way of 24 vdc motor driven hyd pump. 4 post design with rack and pinion on all 4 corners driven by worm gears with wheelchair motors. Still have to fab my log stops and sheetmetal guards. 

DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

bruce29

a few pictures of my home built sawmill

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Buffer.  I look forward to seeing your pictures.  I am really enjoying some of these latest ones.  Very innovative to say the least.

Hats off to you guys. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Some of the "home made" mills you guys build look impressive. Best word that I could come up with.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

Amazing work guys! Needless to say, I won't be posting pics of my mill next to any of these great saws... :-[ ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

stefan

I like seeing pics of other homebuilt sawmills, its great to have so many good ones in one place!
I´ll add a few of my own mill.

Old pic before cab

Newer pic with cab. (cab could use a coat of paint)

Inside cab.

Old log clamp/turner, turner didnt work to good.

New chain turner test, much better.

Paint is nice.

A couple of pics from the drivers seat.

Red Good

Stephan , nice mill , your chain turner is that just 50 chain or 530 with nubs welded on to turn the log , or is that bought some where .Cab looks very good and needed ! Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

stefan

Thanks Red!

I am using a standard 80 chain (one inch pitch) with some u-channel iron welded to it.
Although it works fine, i think i am going to replace the u-channel with solid bar bits maybye 3/4 inch thick
shaped as an "M" as i have seen on other mills.

That would hopefully give me a little sharper edges with more grip in thick bark,
and still dont damage a sawn cant if flipped with the chain turner.

Yes, i really like that cab, that was something i wanted to add to the mill for years.
It is nice to be warm and seated.

5quarter

Stefan...awesome mill. Could you give some specs on it? Also, is there an advantage to using round stock for the bunks instead of flat stock? How difficult was it to get them level?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!