iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home Built Sawmill Count

Started by Firebass, December 31, 2009, 05:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebass

I think it would be interesting to see a category choice named "HOME BUILT " in the Iron Inventory Poll.   

But since we don't have that category I'm starting a list of known home built mills.  If you've made a sawmill please add it to the list.  If its still in work add it also.

1.  Firebass,   Swingmill

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Hilltop366

Good Idea!

3.  Hilltop     16hp Brigss  Chainsaw mill

bandmiller2

4) circular mill complete build, Bandmill 2cyl. Wisconsin,circular  handset refurb
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

timberfaller390

bandmill - but I didn't build it
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Shamus

6). Pro-cut design chainsaw mill.

What a mess it got me into.
Worked great, gave me the bug, got the sawdust in my blood.
Still have it, but haven't used since the upgrade.

D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Firebass

I would think one could build a chainsaw mill much faster and cheaper than any other build.  How well do they work?  Are they a good choice for a hobby miller that wants to cut enough lumber to supply him or her self with enough lumber to build sheds shops ect....  Building a bandsaw, circlesaw, swingmill you can cut enough lumber for the whole neighborhood but do you really want to....   Maybe the chainsaw mill needs more credit....

Firebase

Wudman

Bandmill here.  4 Post design with Acme threaded rod to raise and lower head.  Compact spare tires.  26' bed that can saw 22' logs.  7.5 HP Electric Motor. 

I have also used the carriage with a Rigid portable planer to plane some beams.  That worked pretty well.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Shamus

Nice looking mill Wudman!

Firebass,
     the chainsaw mill is a good option, and cost around $1,000 to build, although it could have been built much cheaper with scrap and salvage. They work well, but are pretty slow production machines, even with the biggest chainsaws strapped to them. You are right - they are likely best suited for a property owner  that needs outbuildings, fences, bridges etc. Best application is for squaring logs into cants and larger timbers. I'd rather buy dimensional lumber to finish a project than mill it myself with the chainsaw, and it would likely cost less in the long run.Too much sharpening, too many hours, too much exhaust, too exhausting...
D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Magicman

That planer attachment is some kinda all right.... smiley_idea.....took some thinking..... smiley_headscratch...... smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TJB

8. Another procut style chainsaw mill

TJ Brown
www.tjswoodshop.com

customdave

Wow neat topic keepin coming!!!!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

GF

Gary                        Bandsaw Sawmill
31hp V-Twin, Fully hydraulic.

Firebass

Quote from: GF on January 01, 2010, 11:48:39 PM
Gary                        Bandsaw Sawmill
31hp V-Twin, Fully hydraulic.

Woa!  :o   Thats not a sawmill thats a piece of art!  Nice work GF

Adding pictures is a plus so I went back and modified my post to add my photo.  If you have a picture of your mill please post it.

Thanks
Firebass 

ErikC

Boy, a lot of the homebuilt mills here work as well as anything but that red one of Garys is a beauty. It even looks like the paint job has a clear coat finish! :o
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

rbarshaw

Still a work in progress, 64Hp Wisconsin engine and 36" band wheels

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

rickywashere

nice mills i would love to see the plans for gary's thats a a master piece

scrout

Linn Sawhead, 18 HP Briggs, electric height adjust, HF winch for carriage.

This photo was before carriage power (note rope  ;-)

Plus I have Tinman's parts for a swinger for the next project......

barbender

Simple saw that a friend started, I still need to finish a few things. I think the Turner Bandmills use this design as well. 
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

barbender

The friend that started the bandmill moved on to the swingmill design, he built 3 or 4 of these and then got bored with it  ::) After that the next project was a flintlock muzzleloader or a line boring machine, I can't remember which :D

Firebass

Quote from: rbarshaw on January 03, 2010, 09:12:30 PM

Still a work in progress, 64Hp Wisconsin engine and 36" band wheels

With all the Ingenuity of the sawmills members have made and cut cost can you post your motorcycle mill.   I love that one.   Do you still use it?

Steve

rbarshaw

This is the first mill I built, It used a CB400A motorcycle engine. I cut several thousand BF with it, but the frame was too light
and I bent it with too much log.

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

barbender

I think Rbarshaw's mill is my favorite- just taking stuff you have laying around and turning it into something useful. A guy like him needn't worry about anything, he'll always get by.

mad murdock

Firebass, Nice swing mill you built there!  Did you draw up plans, or work from purchased plans?  Some real nice yankee ingenuity going on here with all the creations posted so far. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!