The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Saw something cool tonite  (Read 12972 times)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
Re: Saw something cool tonite
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »
There's some other videos that come up when you finish watching this one. They're from different vantage points. That's in the YOHO National Park in BC and there are some shows they put on in the summer, one I think is a history behind the Kicking Horse Pass.  I see they have an old steamer picture just entering the tunnels on their website. :)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »
Another "Kicking" story:  :o  It was perishable season in the Belle Glade, Florida area and I was the conductor of the
South Bay Turn.  South Bay was a small town west of Belle Glade and my crew went on duty at 7:00pm in Belle Glade and immediately made a run (cab light....that means just the engine and the caboose) to the packing house in South Bay.  We picked up the full loads, which the packing house always had first on the siding and then respotted the partial loaded cars for the packing house.  We then we hauled the loads back to Belle Glade and dropped them off for the Belle Glade crew to build into the train they were preparing for the Through Freight due in from Fort Pierce.  Then my crew headed toward Canal Point to work another Packing House.  The foreman at that packing house did not like the railroad for some reason.  So he would scatter his loads throughout the siding and make sure the last car was a load.  This guy cost me a lot of time every night!  I'd have to drag all the cars out and separate the loads to my train and the partials to a 12 car stub track.  I had to handle the partials carefully so I didn't cause any damage to the unstable crates inside.  Well, one night I wasn't particularly in a bad mood but wasn't in a good mood either.  I was running a bit behind and when I got there and saw that he had done it again, I got fed up.  I dragged all the cars out of the siding and then set a partial load at the bottom of the 12 car stub track butted up against the wheel stop.  I set the brakes on that car.  The stub track was slightly downhill.  I then dragged all the cars out to the main line and started kicking the loads to the train on the mainline and the partial loads to the stub track.  I gave the partial loads an extra little bit of speed and seeing as it was downhill, they'd hit the car(s) at the end with a resounding and satisfyiny BOOM!  Once I got the loaded cars separated out and onto my train, I went down to hook onto the partial loads to drag them out.  They wouldn't budge.  So I walked down to the end of the stub track and Lordy, Lordy....I done caused that last car to jump the wheelstops and then drove the end of the car down into the ground.  So, I uncoupled it and dragged the rest of the cars out of the stub track and shoved them down the track to the packing house.  I didn't spot them to the doors either. I just left them all hooked up.  I then got my train ready for the Through Frieight to pick up, which included putting a Switch List in the knuckle of the first car for the conductor.  After the Through Freight was headed back to Fort Pierce, the Belle Glade crew knocked off after their long day.  We still had a lot of hours to go because we were working about 14 to 16t hour days.  So from about midnight until 7:00 a.m. I was the only crew working.  We finished our day, I called in the crew's times to the dispatcher in New Symrna and we went home.  Well, at 7:00 pm I showed up to work again and everyone was in the Yard House waiting for me and really laughing hard.  You see......no one liked that foreman at the packing house and he had called that day...before I got to work.....and was madder than a wet snake. He said every one of his partials were distroyed and the crates had swapped ends of the cars and broke open.  He had to unload the cars, recrate the corn and reload the cars.  When I got to that packing house that night, the loads were first on the track just like they should be and I never had a problem with that foreman again.  Believe it or not, I did not get into anly trouble at all for that.  Now, about that car that jumped the wheelstops and got driven into the ground.  The Trainmaster had to call the wrecker to come up from Miami to get that car back onto the track.  Then the Section Crew (they are the men that lay new track and repair damaged track) had to shorten the stub track by half a car length.  From then on, that stub track only held 11 cars....and I imagine it only holds 11 cars to this day.....thanks to me. ;D       
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline pigman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »
 Charlie 
Well, one night I wasn't particularly in a bad mood but wasn't in a good mood either.

I would hate to see what you would have done if you were in a real bad mood.
I like your stories. I have learned a lot about trains and how they operate.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »
The diesel engines (GP7 & GP9 and the engines for passenger trains) back in the 1940's, '50's and '60s had the normal two lights that shined straight forward, but they also had a huge light on the front of the engine that would flip flop back and forth.  That light was called a "Mars" light and the engineer could make it stop anywhere during it's cycle.  The "Mars" light was a lot brighter than the two lights that shown straight forward.  It allowed us to see very well on each side of the track and I'm sure it was an attention getter for people on the tracks or crossing the tracks.  Several times in the Belle Glade area, couples would park behind big bushes that shielded them from the road, but not the railroad.  I once had an engineer named Grant that liked to stop the engine, turn on the "Mars" light and let it flop over to illuminate the car.  Then he'd ring the bell and toot the whistle softly.  The engines used on the railroads today don't seem to have a "Mars" light.  I reckon they are the thing of the past.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 02:56:40 AM »
As I recall, the Mars light oscillated in a sideways figure 8 pattern. They were thought to be more effective at helping the Engineer to spot something moving -- if you focused on one spot ahead of you, the light created a strobe effect. If you kept your eyes on the brightly lit area, your eyes were always moving. In either case, it was easier to pick out unusual movement. They also lit the sides of the track for quite a distance without projecting light up high where it wouldn't be much use.

I saw a few road engines with them in Washington state in the late 80's and early 90's.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline DouginUtah

• Senior Member x2
  • You can't always have a tailwind, sometimes it's going to be a headwind.
    • Share Post
    • Doug Sherwin's Homepage
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »

A trivial question for Charlie or anyone who knows...

I watched a bit of Trains and Locomotives today and got to wondering what provided the power for lights on steam locomotives.  ???
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »
There were usually steam generators (turbines) that produced electricity, after it became popular enough that it was used on trains. They used a small amount of the engine's hot steam to spin a turbine generator.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
Without Googling I would surmise something like a steam turbine. We had steam engines here until the 50's, my mom's uncle took silent videos as the same era as they were blasting for the hydro dam on the Tobique. He worked on the railroads for 40 years or more. My grand parents and the locals named the steam engine train up the along the Tobique River, the "Tobique Train". Even when it was replaced with diesel, grandmother always remembered it as the "Old Tobique" as it tooted at the crossing by the hydro dam.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Speaking of trains......my FIL passed away this spring.  He has an extensive model train collection, mostly Lionel.  His Dad worked on the Seaboard Coastline railroad.  It is a shame, but we will sell the collection as part of the estate settlement.  His collection of model trains is most impressive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2010, 03:16:40 AM »
My brother is some-what of a collector as well. It's hard to find the quality sets around here that we had as kids. My uncle had a model train like an old steamer, but we was real young, when before we knew better, and the train was run like a toy dump truck in the dirt.  ::)

Offline nas

• Measure twice and cut aw DanG
    • Share Post
    • Traditional forest products
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »
Finally got this picture off my phone.  This is out of my back window in April.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
I have really enjoyed this thread. I have a Brownie snap shot of the last steamer through the Okanagan valley here in B.C. taken about 1958. I loved the sound of a steam whistle, it carried for miles on a cold night. Horn on the diesels is not the same.
My grand dad was a crane operator for the NYC in southern Ontario. The line crossed into Canada at Buffalo then re entered the U.S. at Detroit saving the long run around Lake Erie. They had almost thirty trains a day running through (5 roads) and the kids were not allowed to be on the tracks for any reason. He would have lost his job over it.
Charlie talked about building trains. There was a nasty wreck not far from here a few years ago, tank cars derailed and dumped hazardous chemicals into the river. Paul H will remember that one well.  Pretty much wiped out the marine life. Report came out that they had lightly loaded and empty cars in the middle, the train was on a long grade and it literally straightened out pulling the lighter cars off the tracks.
The CN and CP branch lines split in the town where I grew up, CP continued north and the CN looped around and headed south west. The latter crossed the road about 1/2 way home so we would hop into an empty car then jump at the crossing, the long trains were still building speed.One day I made the mistake of hopping a short freight. It was going at a good clip at our crossing, I had the choice of jumping or riding the 65 miles to Kamloops then finding my way home without getting caught. I jumped spraining both ankles in the process. I was sitting by the road feeling sorry for myself when a vehicle stopped, it had to be my dad of all people. Never did that again. :-[
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »
Here in the South there are too many trees and hills to see very much of a train as it passes by.  You only see a few cars at the time.

In 1973 when I made my first trip "out West", while crossing Wyoming, I got a chance to see my first "Whole Train".  And that coal train was loooong.  I was anxious to get back home and tell folks about seeing a train from "engine to caboose".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bandsaw sharpening: To cool or not to cool that is the question!

Started by New Inn Wood Man on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 05:28:03 AM
by New Inn Wood Man
thumbup
Now this is cool, cool stuff!

Started by Paschale on General Board

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2005, 01:22:04 AM
by UNCLEBUCK
xx
Survivor Tonite!!