iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gulf Islands B.C

Started by D Hagens, April 10, 2010, 12:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

Just a few pics of our cabin and the island. This is Mayne Island, one of the Northern Gulf Islands on the coast of B.C.
I will add more pics when I get to the other computer.

sawguy21

Thanks for the pics, we love the islands.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

D Hagens

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 10, 2010, 09:46:00 PM
Thanks for the pics, we love the islands.

Yeah you have that right! I've been calling the Gulf Islands home for most of my life. :)

fishpharmer

D, thanks for sharing the pictures.  Do you have any more photos of the green cabin?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

D Hagens

Quote from: fishpharmer on April 11, 2010, 01:45:38 AM
D, thanks for sharing the pictures.  Do you have any more photos of the green cabin?

Here's a few more of the cabin, the others won't load. ::)
It's more of a huge garden shed if anything, I built it many years ago with the plans of building a house here. The plans are still a go, hence my idea of getting a mill. :)
We had a major thunder/hail storm here, a right mess in the morning! The wind was unreal and the ferries were shut down and tied up so there was no getting off the island.
It's a great way of life here, no locking doors, leave the keys in the truck along with laptops sitting on the seat.
I lived on the next island over for a few years, Saturna is the smallest and when I lived there we had only 75 people there. It was and always be a memory that will be with me the rest of my life. :)

fishpharmer

D. Hagens, that looks like a cozy cabin to me.  Is that water I see beyond the truck?    Must not be too bad if it held up to the windstorm.

Thanks for the pics.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

D Hagens

Your welcome fishfarmer, it is a great cozy cabin, lots of memories there. It will be great to start on the new one and make the next many years a great thing too!
We made it through that storm, it wasn't all that bad but Darla was a bit freaked as the thunder really roles low to the ground; I thought it was pretty cool!
At the end of the driveway is my truck, it looks like water, wish it was.  At the top of the property we can see the ocean, a great place to build but because of the regulations I can't build up there. ::)

Jeff

That's all the cabin I would need.  I like it!   Looks like that gal still holds a torch for you eh?  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

D Hagens

Quote from: Jeff on April 16, 2010, 05:51:14 AM
That's all the cabin I would need.  I like it!   Looks like that gal still holds a torch for you eh?  :)

It' a very cozy cabin for the two of us Jeff, it's made me change my plans for the next one that I'm going to build. The plan has gotten smaller as I really don't think we need anything huge.
Power and water and heat is the big thing that we need! 8)
Yup Darla still holds a torch for me and she even builds the fire when I'm out. 8)

D Hagens

Just surfing through the threads here and I noticed my cabin thread. Looking at the pics and reading what I wrote I noticed that I'm very happy on the island. :)
Got to thinking about something, if you knew you were you're happy and you wanted to go back and financially you can do it but financially you might come back to a bit of a struggle would you do it?
I'm kind of thinking that happiness comes before money and in all reality things always work out. 8)
Any insight on this guys? Would you take a chance and enjoy life where you love to be or do the safe thing and stay home and worry about things? ???

LOGDOG

D ....

I can totally relate to what it is that you expressed here. There are places that I feel the same way about and they're a long ways from here. As to whether or not you take the chance and give up the security you have in a place that maybe doesn't make you happy like another does I've come to this conclusion. It depends on a lot of factors. Do you have children? Will you be able to take care of your family, make a living, see to their needs,etc in a way that you're comfortable with if you make the move? After much dwelling on the subject as it relates to certain places I reminisce about, I realized that some places are better vacation destinations than year around destinations, and for various reasons. My wife and I actually have a list of pros and cons as it relates to the place we are, and the places we're interested in being. If you haven't tried the pro vs. con list try it once and keep it on hand to refer back to.

Quality of life is very important though. I think a person's days on this earth should be happy ones spent enjoying the things you love. That may mean that maybe you find yourself having to change how it is that you make your living, or the car you drive, house you live in, etc. But if you don't mind that, and you're willing to adjust you can definitely get by. I tell my wife all the time when we're travelling or looking at some of the places we like, "Look around at the people who live here (there), they're making it doing whatever there is to do 'there'. "  :) Good luck in figuring it out.

Thank You Sponsors!