iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Bands

Started by oregonsawer, April 10, 2010, 03:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonsawer

[I have several differint sizes of bands and they have got mixed up.
Can some please tell me how to tell them apart. They are the 55--1-1/2

I have 7 degree and 10 degree .
Love this web site it is really helpfull.
Thank you for all the help.
Oregonsawersize=12pt][/size]

bandmiller2

Oregon, we don't quite understand what you want to know is it band legnth,band width,or hook angle??Legnth and width is easy just compare to what fits on your bandsaw.Hook angle get a machinests square with protractor head set it at 10 degrees should be apparent.What are you running for a bandmill?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I think the gullet is a little deeper on the 7* blades, it might be easier to tell that way than with a protractor as the face of the tooth starts curving not to far from the tip.  I'd just sharpen them all at 7*.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

wwsjr

I think Woodmizer still has a set of small plastic gauges available with all their profiles, 4*,7*,9*,10* blades. Go on WM website for info and contact WM Resharp center. I got a set from GA Resharp a couple of years ago.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Bibbyman

I'll try to get a picture later this morning but the gullet shape 7° vs. a 9° is a dead giveaway.  

The gullet on the 7° is much deeper at something like .295 and is decidedly curved at the bottom.  The 9° blade has a very shallow gullet at .220 and is nearly flat on the bottom.

7° blade above,  9° below.

7° blade has a gullet depth of .295
9° .220
10° .250.

I used a dial caliper and measured from back of blade to gullet depth and then back of blade to tooth tip and subtracted.  But if you don't have a dial caliper, maybe just gauge using a 1/4" drill bit.  If it fits, it's a 10°, if the gullet is deeper, then 7°.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

oregonsawer

Thank you guys for the input, Bibbyman gave me the answer I was looking for!

My saw is a 2005 LT70 Remote and I love it.

Oregonsawer

Thank You Sponsors!