iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To kill or not to kill???

Started by billyO, April 26, 2010, 08:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyO

Hello all.  I'm planning on cutting down a couple of big leaf maples on my property and using them as columns and beams in my house.  It's my understanding that I should harvest them after they drop their leaves in the fall to minimize checking and splitting from water loss that is higher now than when the trees are dormant (please correct me if I'm wrong).  
I'm wondering if there's any benefit or problems with killing the trees now to minimize the leaves that cover my pasture in the fall.  Will killing them now set up rot problems over the summer?  or will it speed up the drying?
thanks
billyO

WDH

It is a myth that trees have higher moisture content in the growing season and lower moisture content in the dormant season.  Trees are living things and keep the same amount of water year round in their live tissues. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

Put anchorseal on the logs ASAP whatever time of year you cut a log to minimize checking.  The way I understand it, a log is like a bundle of straws  and cut straws let the water out too fast, setting the stage for checking.  IMO, you can't be too careful.   
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

billyO

Thanks for the replys and info, but should I girdle, cut, wait till fall, or doesn't it matter?

Den Socling

Wood is like a bundle of straws but the straws vary greatly with the species of wood. Some trees have large straws (veins) and some have small veins. Some have open veins and some have veins that are clogged. The degree to which they are open sets the amount of water they will carry to the end of the log. The more that they loose, the more they will shrink at the end and the more the end will crack. What I'm getting at is that sealers reduce cracks from the end. Move a foot or so from the end and sealers have less effect on moisture loss.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: billyO on April 27, 2010, 09:24:45 AM
Thanks for the replys and info, but should I girdle, cut, wait till fall, or doesn't it matter?

You should not girdle the tree now. It would be best to wait until you are ready to mill the logs to fell the trees. sealing the ends of the logs immediately with a sealant such as AnchorSeal will reduce the log's tendency to endcheck. Getting the logs milled as soon as possible after felling will reduce the chances for staining. Being prepared to properly stack the lumber and timbers using stickers to provide spaces for airflow to help dry the wood.

If you plan to use this wood inside for beams and posts there are a couple of concens. First, if they are going to be used structurally you must correctly size the timbers for the load(s) involved and your building codes and inspectors may require the timbers be graded by an authorized grader or engineer for structural use.

The other potential problem is that wood takes a LONG time to air dry. Typically estimates say a year for every inch of thickness. Of course it doesn't have to be dry to use it but the wood will continue to move and to develop checks and cracks as it dries.

You might want to check out the Timberframe forum section on here for a lot more informed opinions and information.

Good Luck and be careful.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!