iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gold

Started by Bro. Noble, July 28, 2010, 03:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

The thing about buying gold is that it's only method of saving. It doesn't generate any new wealth.

So if your aim is to save your money, then buying krugerrands and keeping them in a box under your bed is actually a reasonable investment. Maybe Gold will increase in value more than inflation, and even if it doesn't it will probably still increase in value long term.

But it doesn't produce any new wealth.

Buy shares in a gold mine, new gold gets dug up. Maybe you invest $1,000 and they dig up $2,000 of gold. New wealth has been created. Of course you take the risk that the mine is a dud and your $1,000 just gives you a big hole in the ground, but thats about researching what you are investing in.

The original idea of "Shares" was to raise money to set up a business. A mine, a sawmill, a shipping company etc. 100 people put in the cash to get things started, and they shared in the profit (or loss).

It's just in recent years that companies have sprung up that do nothing but invest in each other. That just makes a house of cards with no real assets behind it. Happened in the 70s, and again last year. You end up with a big tangle of companies, all holding stock in each other, but no actual assets to back up the paper value that they claim.

The advice to invest in a working gold mine company is sound, even if things turn to custard, at least there is a hole in the ground thats still producing gold. If thats not worth something, then the krugerrands under your bed wont be worth any more.

Possibly something to do with the present economic problems, people chasing paper money on investments, not thinking about investments that actually generate more wealth.

Fuzzybear has the right idea, go out and dig up your own gold  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

Wealth is only created from things you can extract from nature.  You're basically taking natural things and turning them into money.  Mining, farming, hydroelectric generation, oil drilling are examples of this.

After the wealth is created, markets spread it around.  But, that wealth has to have some way to be monetized.  It used to be that gold was a universal unit.  It could be used in any country, since its value was understood and it was stable.

But, since then, the British pound was considered universal until WWII.  After that, the US dollar has been the universal currency. 

It makes little difference what I think the value of gold or any other investment is worth.  Its what the markets think.  Its what a motivated seller will accept from a motivated buyer.  Its sort of how all markets work.  Whether you want to take part in the market or not is up to each participant.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pappy19

As part of our portfolio we have both gold mutual funds (Fidelity) and gold/silver stocks. With the economy going the way it is, precious metals will continue to do well, IMHO. I have also acquied a few troy ounces of old US silver coins and a few gold coins for instant use if necessary.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

mad murdock

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 29, 2010, 01:14:49 PM
listen to what you guys are saying! acting like its the end of the world. the economy is stalled for awhile.
i for one feel that things are improving slowly, if every one looked at things more posativly things would grow faster.
I know that the end is near, as far as the economy is concerned, it will survive, as long as there are people on the earth who need things to sustain life.  I am with Cedarman, it is wise to have a contingency plan, come what may, if you can't eat it, use it to fix something, plant it, or use it to make something, spend it towards one of those areas, paper dollars will eventually be worthless, the only out that the government has to meet debt obligation in the end, is hyper-inflation, print enough to satisfy indebtedness, and move on.  Look at what happened in Pre-WWII germany.  We are headed a long way down that same road, with no exits in sight.  Land, good tools, good books, and raw materials, are things that will always have value.  Like Ron said very well, wealth is created from tangible assets, like natural resources, or things you grow or cultivate or make. The market is the outlet for that wealth creation, and spreads that wealth around.  I have a lot invested in the stock market via a retirement trust, it has lost a lot of money, hopefully it will recover in the long haul.  Look at the new financial reform bill, er rather law now.  Rep. Waters from california was successful in tacking onto the bill, now law, a provision that requires a lot of the financial players to create a diversity office within these private companies, that can ensure proper participation levels within employment and in contracting of women, and minorities, and if they find that things are not in check, the government now has the power to nullify contracts, without any sort of oversight whatsoever.  Nothing is sacred anymore.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

red oaks lumber

i suppose a few on here were prepared for y2k, what happened? nothing, so are the few worrried about 2012?
so if you really think its nothing but doom and gloom, the end is here why worry about your retirement? or the price of gold, or anything for that matter?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

fuzzybear

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 30, 2010, 06:49:37 PM
i suppose a few on here were prepared for y2k, what happened? nothing, so are the few worrried about 2012?
so if you really think its nothing but doom and gloom, the end is here why worry about your retirement? or the price of gold, or anything for that matter?
I'm not worried about any of those things. What scares me and worries me is the fact that every day another farm is lost. Every week another species of animals is lost. I just got back from fish camp.  My family depends on salmon to survive the winter.  This year we will just make it. next year I don't think we will.
   In human kinds need for wealth and greed we have destroyed so many life forms on this planet. We have gotten to the point that we are scrambling to feed our people. There is just not enough food to go around.
   Gold, silver. minerals are not going to be worth anything.
   Like the Cree prophecy goes.... only when the last tree is cut, only when the last fish is caught, only when the last river is poisoned, only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
   I've said it before and I'll say it again...... take off the blinders and take a HARD look around the chunk of rock that we ALL live on....it's much scarier than any doom and gloom prophecy
fb
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

gary

I don't think the end is near. I do believe in being prepared though. Everyone should have some gold, silver , lead and diamonds stashed in case of an emergency. Should also have gunpowder and a gas mask. 

isawlogs

Well , I would rather have a fish to cook and a steak to grill ..  We really need to slow down and smell the roses ..
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Wenrich

One thing you have to realize is that the world demand for gold is higher than the amount that is being mined.  What's that do to the value?  I'm not talking about the stuff folks hoard, but the gold needed for jewelry and other commercial products.  Its a supply and demand thing.  We hit peak gold a few years back.  That's not doom and gloom prophecy, its market economics.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mooseherder

Disguy buys Gold. ;D
I pass a dozen of these people every day.
This character is the scariest.  I'm not sure what he would do if he knew I was video taping. 
He may play it up even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKbA_3_M6_E

SwampDonkey

About 15 years ago, an old timer told me, "this is the time to buy gold". It was somewhere around $300 an ounce then. This guy had quite a bit of insight and quite knowledgeable about who was in the control of the country. On that note, a good Canadian author who was once editor of Macleans magazine (kind of a Canadian Newsweek), has a good series of books on the subject. But anyway, investing in gold back a few years ago would have been a good investment with the idea it's a long term deal. A good many people are after the get rich quick deals and like to see those 30 % returns and blat to the government when they loose 60% or more in a few months down the road in a shaky high risk deal to begin with. If you look at the big wigs, most of them got wealth legitimately over a long term or there was something pretty shady going on and eventually got found out. Just think of Bernie Madoff and Conrad Black and a whole lot of others that got found out. I just think of the Irvings and McCains here in New Brunswick when I talk investing in the long haul. Their wealth was from long term investing and now supports many generations, at least 4 by now. Food and forest products are both renewable and you can use the same patch of dirt. Petroleum, we know as liquid gold, will continue to climb until the last drop in sucked from the ground. It drives our standard of living and has value as long as we want to maintain our way of life. I mention petroleum because the Irvings are big investors, also in power generation, but they are a private company and the only share holders are the family members. Around these parts, if you look at most any committee or board that deals with economic issues, the Irvings and/or McCains have a seat on those boards.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

We've had a Gold "Road Show" in town for this past week.  Mostly looking to buy junk jewelry from folks.  Some went and when they saw how much they were being paid they said "no way", packed their stuff up and went home.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rpg52

Whether to buy gold or not is an impossible question - it all depends.  What are your assets?  How lucky are you?  Where do you live?  Swamp Donkey had some good insights, the world has become dependent on petroleum, the rising price of which will become a wrenching change to our economic system.

Gold is only valuable during relatively stable times - natural disasters (floods, earthquakes, droughts, wildfires, etc.) accelerate instability.  What do you think gold would buy if you are swimming through a flood?  On the other hand, a bit of gold might be handy if it is cold and miserable.  Here's my strategy, only applicable to myself and where I live, in no particular order.

1)  get out of debt
2)  learn how to grow and cook food, and accumulate several months supply
3)  buy quality (hand) tools (even used).  If you can't use them, likely someone can
4)  try to minimize the threat of natural disasters likely to be found in your area
5)  be a good friend and neighbor, you'll need help
6)  accumulate a bit of liquid assets - gold, silver or something for some dark days
7)  figure out a stable water supply
8.  practice walking and biking, it may become handy
9)  learn or befriend those with some medical training  

Good Luck!   ;D
Ray

Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

routestep

To buy gold/silver or any precious metal (PM) or not.

I think everyone on this board should buy a little, a couple of fractional coins of gold and either 90% silver coins or one ounce American Silver Eagle (ASE).

Silver is used to buy day to day supplies and gold to buy capital assets if the day ever comes when you find you can't eat Federal Reserve Notes (Dollars) (or a bank statement)  and a wheel barrel is needed to buy food.

I have read that gold has been remarkable stable. A gold piece bought a nice Roman tunic 2000 years ago and at $1200 today buys a nice three piece suit. It's the dollar that has lost value and will continue to loose valve as the Federal Reserve Bank continues to print money. The slide started in 1913 and hasn't stopped. That's why the penny is now copper clad zinc instead of pure copper; copper pennies are worth more than one cent hence add zinc.

Quarters and dimes are nickle clad copper and may very well be zinc soon. Not a gram of silver in the new coins, maybe the Eisenhower had some silver.

The Chinese hold 800 Billion plus dollars and the Japenese hold around 700Billion. The Chinese are slowly building their gold reserves and not adding to their dollar position. If the Chicoms are buying gold I'll buy some too, when I can.

There are plenty of smart men on this forum. As Cedarman said plan for any eventuality. Have your house bought, stock up some food like the LDS do, make a garden if you have the room, and buy some silver and some gold. Don't count on gold making wealth, it perserves wealth.

Go find FOFOA on the internet if you want to read some high tension thoughts on the subject.

petefrom bearswamp

I agree with Ray
Have zero debt and be somewhat self sufficient.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SPIKER

I posted my thoughts once and here is a wright up about gold http://seekingalpha.com/article/220307-tips-and-gold-as-inflation-hedges-risk-and-rewards?source=email

trying out the link to make sure it works, it is to a article on seeking alpha web site which is popular with investing people lots of good info there.

the above info is regarding what is going on with US finances.   while a lot of good info here about gold, the simple facts are in the above link on where gold is at in regards to all time and near term costs.   

one thing is clear if you think we are in a deflationary period (think what a house costs today vs 3 or 4 years ago "deflationary")   Then gold is going to drop from here much much lower.   Now if you think in a year it will take 22.50 to buy a gallon of gas or milk then by all means buy gold and hope that Inflation goes wild.

I had a bad week in the markets on my long term holds but still to the good 30% for last 18 months... ;)

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!