iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crossbows

Started by Corley5, November 20, 2003, 07:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Anybody have any experience with them?  How accurate are they and to what range?  How do they compare to a compound bow?  Dad seems to think that he wants one ::) ::)
I want ot know if there is any advantage to one.  We looked at them tonight at Jay's Sporting Goods and whoa!!! you can get a pretty darn nice rifle for the cost of one.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

It used to be that you couldn't use a cross bow to hunt with in Florida.  Things may have changed.  I don't bow hunt so I don't know.  It might be worth asking to see if you can use it for anything but target practice up there.

chet

I got one, and much prefer my compound for distance, accuracy, and hitting power. A crossbow does however offer an advantage to someone that may not be able to use the normal type bow.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DanG

A crossbow can be a pretty effective weapon. When I was in 'Nam, we had a Huey "wounded" by a primitive Montagnard crossbow. The bolt went right through the tail boom.  It would be fun to play with one. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

:P
The St. Petersburg Times

Michigan crossbow permit

The following address exhibits pages with backgrounds that make them difficult to read.  If you hold the left mouse button and pass the cursor over the text, highlighting the text, it covers up the background and makes the page easier to read.

Hunting regulations for each state

Another site easier to read

Corley5

We've been able to use crossbows during the Nov firearm deer season for several years now.  I know I work for the DNR   ;D :o ::) :D ;) : :)  Dad's been interested in one for a while.  I'd rather use the .270 or .280 or 7MM or .308 or wellyou get the drift
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Stan

Several kids in the 8 year old range have used them in my area to take their first deer.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

EZ

I use a crossbow and thats all I can use. I have a compound, and tried and tried to use it, I cant hit the broad side of a barn with it. Kinda weird being my mother is half Indian. :D
The bow hunters at the shop just hate the crossbow hunters, they say it's the womens way. O-well, I get a deer every year with it. I dont take a shot unless its 20 yards or less. I've hit deer that only went 10 yards and drop and I've hit them where they went a half a mile. Every year they talk about outlawing them in Ohio but also every year they talk about outlawing other things too.
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!