iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rust?

Started by oregonsawer, December 05, 2010, 09:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonsawer

What do you guys use on the rail to keep it from rusting wile not in use?
I have used a lot of different types of oil and the next day their is rust!!!!!!!!!

Help please. And thank you in advance.
Oregonsawer >:(

5quarter

Oregonsawyer,

I use paste wax pressed into a towel that I keep in a container near the mill. A quick wipe down each side... leaves just enough on the rails...no trouble with rust.

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Dewey

There is a procuct called Fuild Film  I use it on alot of my eguipment...  It is a great rust stopper also a good lubricant.. Google it... you can find it here in a farm supply store that is local... It comes either by the gallon or spray can

captain_crunch

You know the only way to Keep anything from rusting here in Oregon is to haul it to Arizona :D :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

northwoods1

I would 1st let it get a little rusty, in other words take the paint off good and prepare the surface of the steel with a light sandpaper or cloth, then let a very light surface build up of rust occur and keep wiping it off but don't kill the rust with any oil or anything. After this happens several times wipe the surface down real good with something like diesel fuel or light oil and kill the rust. By doing that you will greatly improve the surface of the steels rust resistance.

jimparamedic

Just like browning a gun. Or seasoning like ford use to do with engine block. Helps seal the pours of the metel

northwoods1

Quote from: jimparamedic on December 06, 2010, 09:52:24 AM
Just like browning a gun. Or seasoning like ford use to do with engine block. Helps seal the pours of the metel

That is exactly what I am talking about the browning on a gun is exactly the same process. To brown a barrel I actually use a light acid to start the rusting process and control it to make it even but this isn't necessary. After the surface develops that patina it won't rust any longer or very little.

richard lane

WD-40 still works best in my book. Richard lane

Thank You Sponsors!