iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had it with mice

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 10, 2011, 07:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Putting all new new light wiring in my LT-40 tomorrow. Mice got the brown wire somewhere downstream of the first amber side lights.  Anyone know if there is any downside to putting several pounds of  naphthalene mothballs in the main tube?  Would these corrode the rubber on the hydraulic lines if some got lodged against them? 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pnyberg

My sympathies.  I've been there, though my mice were in the engine.  I don't know if your situation is better or worse. 

If after you're done you have any tips or tricks you'd like to share, they would be appreciated.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

--Peter
No longer milling

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

Here's  an idea.  Once a month, hook up a dryer hose from a car exhaust to the main tube via the back end, and run for 30 minutes.  Then add more mothballs.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Larry

I use an old sock filled with mothballs.  Don't know if it is mothball odor that keeps em away or sock odor. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bandmiller2

Hear tell mice don't like the smell of pepermint mayby some extract on a rag  would discourage micky. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jasperfield

After pullin' the dash out of my F-450, twice, I got serious about eliminating mice. That was about two years ago.

I went to Wal-Mart and got a vial of peppermint "oil", bag of cotton balls, two large boxes of moth balls, 20 of Ortho's (white & red) no. 11 traps, and a small jar of peanut butter. (The cotton balls are for the peppermint oil).

I also bought a jar of Assault mouse poison tablets.

I wrapped several moth balls in Aluminum foil, punched holes in the pouches, and distributed them strategically.

The Assault works well. They'd nibble it and die. The peppermint oil works really well, too. It is a deterrent (as are the moth balls).

I was most impressed with the kill rate of the Ortho traps. They are very fast and the teeth hold the mouse. I still bait and empty these traps, but the mouse population is down to almost none. The deterrents don't kill, but the traps and Assault do.

I haven't found any dead mice from the Assault, but I know it's doing the job. I have, however, removed way more mice from the traps than I'd have ever thought. The number is over 80.

ely

i use the bar bait for rats and mice. best thing i ever had was a jack russel though.

in that tube, can you fill the ends with spray foam or do you have to get inside for something.

i filled alot of cavitys in my dump truck with the foam and it took care of the nesting in there.

terrifictimbersllc

Well the re-wiring is done.  Had to take the tongue off.  Put on a heavy duty Pollak RV connector with the big plug so now no more adapter, plugs right in to my truck.  Not that hard once I figured out how the wires went including out to the idle side in two places.  Easiest is to pull the wires through using the old wires.

I don't think I want to foam up the holes because there are quite a few of them and even if the mice are gone once in a while one might have to do maintenance on the wires or hydraulic lines.  I like the idea of traps in either end.  Also pouring a bunch of poison pellets in there.  I think poison pellets and a monthly gassing with car exhaust could be quite effective.  Maybe leaving a radio on in there with NPR playing at one end, and Rush Limbaugh at the other,  Noriega style,  would drive most of them out of the holes in the middle.

I would think  electrical wire whose sheathing has a bittering agent in it, to deter rodent gnawing, would be a big seller.  The compound Bitrex is put into many household products to deter drinking/swallowing.  But Bitrex fed to rodents in food, at small concentrations which produce intense bitter aversion in humans, does not deter them from eating it so the rodents' taste of it is different . 

Or just re-wire the thing every few years.

paul case

can you plug them holes with a wad of steel wool? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe. But there are some big irregular holes.  Foam may work at several smaller places.  I'll give it a good look.  

laffs

gat some of those black snakes ya have down there and shove them in the tubes. when i lived near pnyberg they were everywhere
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Don_Papenburg

Make metal or plastic covers  ,a couple of tec screws to mount and remove as needed.  Use up some of your plastic buckets that you backed over  .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

mrcaptainbob

A spray bottle of high strength hot sauce and water. The capcacin WILL keep them away.

mometal77

Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 11, 2011, 05:10:29 PM
  Maybe leaving a radio on in there with NPR playing at one end, and Rush Limbaugh at the other,  Noriega style,  would drive most of them out of the holes in the middle.

Just realized this won't work...they will go to one end or the other.   But it will break up the family structure anyway.

Bibbyman

Just keep one of these around..

Guess who came to dinner??  The other evening Mary and I were watching TV when I seen this head stick up over the window edge.   I got him caught and took him well out of the yard.  Then yesterday he was at the front door but got away under some rocks in the retaining wall.  A little later we heard a thump, thump, thump on the front door.  Mary went to check.  He was trying to come in!  I didn't get him caught and carried away that time either.

We had one around in the sawshed for several years.  Mary would "eeeek!" every now and then but we left him alone.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Jeff,don't look. Took me a minute to find him.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

i broke a 13 dollar shovel handle last eve. getting rid of a snake. he was outside the door of the big house and under a pile of stikers. i guess i am going to have to have a clean up day.

when it comes to snakes its either them or me. i have no middle ground. :(

pa_of_6

Original Irish Springs Soap shavings keep them away.

It is a standard for old car collectors to keep them out of the restored cars.

It has to be the Original Irish Springs, not one of their fancy new odors.

Bibbyman

Irish Spring would keep we away too.  When I get downwind of someone with it on,  I move pretty fast.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

357blacksmith

dust the inside tube with red pepper powder seasoning, the hot stuff.  they cant tollerate breathing it.
Log Master 1, Farmtrac 665, Champion forge, Peter Wright anvil, and 5 Bassett attack-and slobber dogs.

Magicman

I finally had to use foam on all of the unused holes on my mill.  Not only mice, but wasps.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

At 5:15pm a leaf blower was used to blow out the tube from the center hole on the drive side.  Remnants of mouse nests came out the end.  At 5:30, over some family objections and with no call from the governor,  the center hole was charged with 4 oz of powdered red pepper.   Compressed air blasted the pepper in both directions and a small cloud came out of each end.  After I finished sneezing the holes were capped with their hardware.    Lights on for the Wood-Mizer and lights out for the mice.  ::) ::)   One small step for man, and one giant leap (backward) for mouse-kind.  8) 8)

Magicman

Keep us posted on it's effectiveness.  If those were "South of the Border" mice, they may just write a new recipe book.    :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!