iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

military surplus MEK-016B generator

Started by OneWithWood, May 18, 2011, 10:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I have acquired an MEK-016B military gernerator circa 1986 or so.  it is a 3000w unit powered by a single cylinder diesel.  It runs great and will put out three phase as well as single phase power.

I would like to use it as a backup generator hooking it up to the house panel via a 240v single phase transfer switch.

The issue I have is that the generator is a floating ground configuration and I am not sure how to wire the cable that would plug in to the transfer switch. 

Any ideas?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Gary_C

It's probably not going to work safely with the standard house wiring system. I would have to see the wiring schematic of the generator to say for sure, but I doubt it will work for you.

The problem is that a home has both 120 volt wiring and 240 volt wiring together. And the way the neutral is used in the 120 volt systems is a problem. And with multiple circuits in a 120 volt system, you can easily unbalance the two hot legs of the generator and then bad things can happen in your circuits and the neutral. The 240 volt systems do not require a ground other than a chasis ground for safety.

I am sure the way the military uses those generators is in a single voltage system and thus you have no need for a ground or neutral. So there is no safe way to use these generators in a multiple voltage system like a home.

Sorry for the bad news.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mometal77

Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

OneWithWood

Thanks, Gary.
That is pretty much as I suspected but I was hopeful there was a way.
This is a solid little unit so I can still use it as a field generator.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!