iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Odd thing happened sawing oak

Started by cutterboy, May 29, 2011, 06:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi everyone. I was sawing red oak today and an odd thing happened. Several of the boards got blue speckles all over them. I've been sawing oak for many years and I know that the combination of steel, water and the tannins in oak will leave that nasty dark blue color on the lumber- I know that. So, for several years I've been sawing oak dry, I mean I don't run water on the blade when I saw oak. Today I was sawing dry as I usually do and the lumber got blue speckles on it. It was not raining, but it was cloudy and humid. Do you think the moisture in the air would be enough to turn the oak blue?

Here, take a look.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Jeff

The moisture within the lumber is all that is needed. What steel was the lumber in contact with?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I sometimes would get that after filing the saw and some metal filings got on the boards.  I'm running a circle mill.  Is there something worn that could be shedding filings onto the boards? 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

doghunter

check for a bearing goinbad or a steel to steel clearance problem those speckles are definitely from metal filings

cutterboy

I think you guys may be right about metal filings. I never thought of that. I had problems with one of my blade guide rollers today. At one point it stopped turning and I saw small sparks shoot from it as the blade ran over it. I ended up replacing it but not before I had sawed most of the log.

Thanks guys, good call.        Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

tyb525

When I saw oak I use water, and there is enough of a reaction between the steel from the band, the water, and the tannins to cause a blue stain on the sawdust left on the board. It doesn't usually stain the board unless I don't get it knocked off soon enough.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!