iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wildfire

Started by darrenjttu, September 13, 2011, 09:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenjttu

Can pine trees and oaks survive a wild fire or are they totally dead. All the pine needles burned off but it looks like the trunks and main branches are ok. My MIL lost her house in the Bastrop, Texas fire last week. If the trees are going to die or are dead I might cut some down and try to make some thing out of them for her. She lost every thing.

Texas Ranger

Yes, some can survive, oaks will be the hardest hit.  But, damage and death will continue with the double tap of heat and no water.

Hard to say on your trees, we are losing them here in east Texas without the fire with no relief in sight.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Buck

Everywhere you look they are dying without fire.  I am curious to see how long it will be before we are trying to save our forests from beetle infestations from the stresses endured from this  drought and now fires. We were making bug flights and have found so many spots over last year it is unreal.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

tcsmpsi

I would venture that the chances of their survival are very slim, and I consider that optimistic.  They were likely just 'hanging on' as it was.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Texas Ranger

RaiderBill sent me this.

The road to hell could be no worse.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

Sharpen your blades, there will be many portable sawmilling opportunities for the next year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I swear, we must have gotten all the rain up here. If it's sunny all day, it will rain at night, mostly showers. Been that way this week to and suppose to continue for a couple days.  ::) Was nice all Dang day here again, but the woods was wet and all day drying.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The rule of thumb that I go by is that if no more than the lower third of the needles in the crown actually combusted, the pine tree may well live and put out new green needles even if all the other needles that remain are scorched.  It sounds like all the needles on your pine combusted, so I would not hold out any hope or bet a large sum of money on it living.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodtroll

Whats the opinion on the oaks? They seem to re-sprout just fine up here.

WDH

Not as sure about the oaks.  In oak resistance to fire, size matters as it relates to bark thickness.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!