The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Assembling my timberframe this weekend( more like over the next few years)  (Read 12743 times)

Offline Tullivor

• Share Post
WOW!!  That cabin is amazing!  Really nice work.  The contrast looking up in the ceiling really sets it off.  I was wondering if you were planning on insulating the roof and how you plan to do it?  The reason i am asking is because i am building a much smaller and not nearly as nice of a cabin as yours and am looking for ideas on how to insulate the roof and walls.  I am going to post a thread on it.  I also really like how you framed walls on the outside, people can still see all the detailed work on the inside!

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
  • I'm Gonna need a BIGGER Boat!
    • Share Post
Tullivor:

I'll post some pics as work proceeds, but it will be a wrap and strap. If you do a search for that term, and especially Rooster's posts with his pics you'll get a very good idea on how it will be done. In my project we are planning on two 2" layers of staggered Polyiso. We have a much bigger problem with wind than down south, so it may be a bit different, but basically the same.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Offline zelpatsmot

• Share Post
Looks great, nice design. Keep the pics coming!
Anything you would do differently if you did it all over again?
Are you feeling more comfortable with the truss-post connection?

Offline Lookin4lunkers

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Beautiful place, your guests are never gonna leave
Life is about the journey, not the destination

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Thanks for the compliments. I have received so much help over the past few years, I just want to share, hoping someone else can benefit from what I have learned.

Here is a pic of the foam, and strapping in place. Notice that I had to cantilever my outlookers back into the foam. While this will sacrifice some insulation properties, the uplift with the 2' overhang was the deciding factor.

While I had heard that metal roofing could be put on over the strapping, my roofing supplier ( ASC skyline roofing) would not accept anything but a solid substrate. So 5/8" ply over the straps, and then 30lb. felt.

I have the metal on my truck, and the roofers are on there way today, so back to the salt mines. More pics too follow.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
It has been a very busy April for me. The roofers finished the metal roof on the cabin, and I have been working hard on getting the foam and strapping up for dry in.

Here is a pic of the metal going up on the roof:

Here is a pic of the foam sheets going up: The detailing is a slow. I am glad I am not paying myself by the hour :D

On rainy days I was cutting a porch, that I now have on the front. Jim helped me a bit with the design. Thanks Jim. I think it worked out ok, keeping the ridge down below the windows. The pitch on the porch ended up be a 4:12.

I now am going to put in the front windows and door. I was a bit timid to do that with the erection of the porch frame.  I used a construction forklift, and I didn't want an errant beam to take out a window. I'll have it dried in tomorrow, and then it's back to roofing the porch.

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
I'm hesitant to continue to upload photos, since this is such an amateur undertaking, but since I received such inspiration and assistance from the forum I think I owe it to you folks to show what your help has made possible.

This is the porch I added. I used some Stainless steel cable infill for the porch railing I built. I didn't want to block the view when sitting inside the cabin. 

Over the last month, between fishing, crabbing, shrimping, and raining, I managed to get the cabin completely dried in, and the siding started. I got the siding from a local mill, and it is amazing. Beautiful color, and grain. I picked through, and kept aside about 10% clear, that I'll use for trim inside the cabin.

This is with one coat of Sikkens Cetol SRD

Offline grweldon

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Just Stuff! (my personal blog)
Looks gorgeous! I'm an amateur myself but it looks great...
Timberking 1400, Ford 3910 Tractor, John Deere 350B Crawler/Loader

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Assembling my timberframe this weekend( more like over the next few years)
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »
I have been so busy I haven't been  very good about posting pictures. I just now added several to my Gallery.

www.forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1991&page=3

I have been dried in for a few months now. Electrical and plumbing rough in held me up for a couple of months waiting on the guys to finish their fishing season. Here everything, and I do mean everything, takes a back seat to fishing,  8)

I have the drywall up and the trim out started. Pushing the drywall behind the posts and beams was not that much trouble. Thanks Jim for telling me to leave 3/4" space for the 1/2" drywall.  ;)

Here is a gable wall with the windows and the clear hemlock v-groove. I found this at one of our local mills.  It's great to live in the Tongass National Forest...  ;D I can afford this here. I am guessing I could not, after it got shipped to the lower 48.

I'll try and keep my gallery up to date. If anyone has suggestions or questions on finishing out the timber frame I would love to hear from you.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
assembling my new sawmill

Started by maple flats on Sawmills and Milling

63 Replies
Last post November 08, 2021, 10:43:47 AM
by maple flats
xx
Assembling quilting machine

Started by beenthere on General Board

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2006, 11:27:24 AM
by red