iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM pro series sharpener and Cooks sharpener with pics.

Started by customsawyer, December 05, 2011, 12:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I have a 2" medium cup brush in my floor standing drill press, pressed against a wooden table with a wooden fence next to the edge of the cup.   I flip all the blades to be cleaned inside out, and pull it under the spinning cup brush (between the bottom of the cup and the wooden table), with the teeth pointed away from the pulling direction.  It takes about 15 seconds to clean the inside of the blade and it gets stuff off the teeth too.  It is very fast and optimal for me.  My blades aren't dirty on the other side.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 07, 2011, 09:07:14 PM
I have a 2" medium cup brush in my floor standing drill press, pressed against a wooden table with a wooden fence next to the edge of the cup.   I flip all the blades to be cleaned inside out, and pull it under the spinning cup brush (between the bottom of the cup and the wooden table), with the teeth pointed away from the pulling direction.  It takes about 15 seconds to clean the inside of the blade and it gets stuff off the teeth too.  It is very fast and optimal for me.  My blades aren't dirty on the other side.
That sounds slick ;)

Too many irons in the fire

Bibbyman

How many re-sharps can you get from the .055 blades? I found three or four was about it.

Know a guy that ran an LT300. He'd re-sharp one time then pitch them. He didn't want to risk breaking a blade and having to stop to change it out.  Time was worth more than the blade.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

That would be nice finding someone close by that only sharpened a couple of times, I'd be there with my hand out!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

We've been using up old blades all summer and fall.  I'd probably been far better off just pitching them - time and production wise.

I'm down to about 6 9° blades and then it's 7°s from now on.  Most all of our remaining blade stock has been re-sharpened the first time and only time by Re-Sharp service.   I'm hoping to get through winter without doing too much sharpening. 
Sawing since '94

Peter Drouin

Thats all I get 3 or 4 sharpens on the .055  7s . but I do leave them on to long  :D :D :D :D

These are  the WM tools that I use   ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

I can't tell you how many times I sharpen a blade. It varies depending on what I am cutting. If I am cutting cypress there is times when I will cut all day on the same blade. (give or take 10,000bf) These logs are clean and the cypress cuts like butter. If I am cutting my regular logs then I get about 2,500 bf from each blade. If I am cutting the junk logs I am happy to get anything over 100 bf. I guess what I am saying is it all depends. The blades I use on each type of logs I keep separate this way I get the most out of each blade as it is cutting the same thing that it started out on. 
I can hear the eye brows rising in the back ground with the 10,000 bf per  blade but you have to remember that my main product is timbers so there is times that I am cutting 10X12 or 16X20 or even a few 22X22 timbers. These timbers add up. This helps to keep your board foot per blade up. With my regular cutting I am usually going for a 12X12X40 so this helps to keep the bf per blade up also.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Customsawyer,  thanks for starting this very informative topic, good photos.  All the contributers (here) really add value by sharing hard earned experiences,  allowing us readers to make more educated decisions about choosing sharpening equipment.  Thanks to all.

It would be cool if someone could come up with a calculator to determine the level of blade usage/ resharpening that gives the economic "breaking" point justifying purchase of sharpening equipment.  (I may play around with a spreadsheet toward that goal). Lots of variables:cost of new blades, Bdft per blade, $ Bdft, "resharp+shipping " cost, average resharpenings, Actual cost of sharpening equipment.  Level of usage to justify owning resharpening equipment.  Lots of variables.  Any ideas?  Or Bad idea?
Thanks
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer Re-Sharp must have come up with some limit as they reject blades that are too short.

I think your answer would depend greatly if you own your oan equipment and don't count your time and expense vs use a sharpining service.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 09, 2011, 06:57:08 AM
and don't count your time 

I could justify resharpening my blades if I considered the resharpening cost alone.  The kicker in my situation is my time.  Sure, I'm "retired" and have plenty of time.  Not.

For me, ReSharp is a bargain, but I have found this thread interesting and informative.  I also followed Bibby's thread with each post that he made.  Thanks to Bibbyman and customsawyer for starting these topics and to all others who have contributed meaningful information and suggestions.  We all learn together.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 09, 2011, 05:36:09 AM
Customsawyer,  thanks for starting this very informative topic, good photos.  All the contributers (here) really add value by sharing hard earned experiences,  allowing us readers to make more educated decisions about choosing sharpening equipment.  Thanks to all.

It would be cool if someone could come up with a calculator to determine the level of blade usage/ resharpening that gives the economic "breaking" point justifying purchase of sharpening equipment.  (I may play around with a spreadsheet toward that goal). Lots of variables:cost of new blades, Bdft per blade, $ Bdft, "resharp+shipping " cost, average resharpenings, Actual cost of sharpening equipment.  Level of usage to justify owning resharpening equipment.  Lots of variables.  Any ideas?  Or Bad idea?
Thanks
Here's one way to look at it:  I paid approximately $4500 in order to be able to make about $25 per hour sharpening my own blades.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

My sharpener cost me $2455.00 delivered.

Figuring sharpening at the rate of $7.00/blade, when I sharpen my 350th blade I will be even, compared with resharp.

Right now, I lack 35 blades and the amortization will be done and my equipment won't owe me a cent!

One of the things to my advantage is that I'm not dependent on an income from my mill, it's just a part-time thing.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WH_Conley

I have sharpened over 200 blades til there was nothing left of them. At an average of 5 sharpenings per blade at $6.00 per blade, that would make about 6K. Not counting gas for a 30 miles round trip per batch of blades. On the conservative side, my sharpener has paid for it's self 3 times and more. I sharpen in the evenings in the basement, where it is cool in hot weather and next to the wood stove in cold weather.
Bill

Bibbyman

Quote from: WH_Conley on December 09, 2011, 11:18:11 AM
I sharpen in the evenings in the basement, where it is cool in hot weather and next to the wood stove in cold weather.

That's my struggle.  Our sharpener is set up in a cold shed.  Gowd-awful hot 6 months of the year and cold 4 months of the year.  When it's nice,  I can always find something more productive to do.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

That is the reason mine is in the basement. Tried the shed. Next thing I knew I had a whole pile of dull blades and no sharp ones.
Bill

customsawyer

The trouble I have is that I hate to work inside so I tend to put it off till I have to. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

Its just plain handy to sharpen your own,no need for a large band inventory.I usally cut a half day, many times I will use one band until its worn out taking it off when I go home to lunch to sharpen.I have a couple of millers I sharpen bands for,my cats claw is pretty much paid for. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bibbyman

When I set out to sharpen, I put my white hasmat jumper on and set in for most of the day. 

I had the sharpener and setter set up for 1-1/2" blades for a month or so using up some 20 old 1-1/2" blades.  I got to where I'd take the couple I used that day and take them to the sharpener and fire it up.  I put one on and then go do something like fuel up the Terex.  Then come back and check on the sharpener.  Maybe set that blade while another was running.  If I had time, run off and charge the deck for the next day and so on until I had the day's dull blades back in service.  I was down to two blades for about a week.  If I had the sharpener set up within a few steps of the mill,  I could sharpen as I go.  But it's in a shed about half way from between the sawmill and the house.

Customsawyer,  does the Pro Series keep the spray and drip of the oil pretty much inside the machine?  The CBN sharpen tends to produce a mist of oil and smoke (if grinding too hard) and oil drips off the blade after it exits the sharpener.  In short, it's a mess.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

Bibby I don't think it sprays all that much. The only oil that I get off of it is the dripping off of the blade. I keep a large pan under the arm that supports the blade. I think that the hood keeps the mist and spray down. It is a bit messy and I don't like having to clean the grindings out of the oil and have been studying on a few different ways to eliminate that part of the job. I do like the thought of grinding with oil versus dry but don't like the mess.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

This is my oil cleaning system except the heater goes under the metal pan.  When it gets below 45°,  I plug in the oil pan heater and warm the oil.  Once it gets flowing,  I can unplug the heater and the grinding and pumping will keep it warm enough.

Here is the first model with plastic pan. Except the pump goes in the lower pan.

As the oil falls off the grinder in the top dry aluminum pan,  the slag tends to fall out and collect. I clean this out every month or so. 

The oil then falls over the yellow plastic parts dish with magnets under the dish and the slag collects on it.  I remove the dish about every 10 blades and scrape off the slag into a bucket.

The pump sets in a little box with a pair of magnets that I put in baggies.  About every 50 blades I pull the bags and pull the magnets out of them and put them in new bags.

I've not cleaned out the steel pan yet.
Sawing since '94

red pine

Customsawyer, I may have missed the name of your setter in the messages. I am looking for either a 1 or 2 tooth setter and 2 tooth seems yours. Two seems to be preferred due to time saving although I use my mill only part time. Is it Cooks?
Regarding blade cleaning I use "oven cleaner" on my carpentry woodshop blades if they get gunk/tar on them and it works great. Have not tried on bands. Has anyone?

customsawyer

Red Pine I have a Cooks dual tooth setter. I don't think the oven cleaner would work in my application due to the cost and the number of blades that I use.

Bibby I was thinking about putting the pump in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket. Just have the oil drain back into the bucket through a cloth diaper or some cheese cloth. Then when the cloth gets full all you would have to do is through it away. I have tried the magnets and such but it is still messy. 
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WH_Conley

How about putting the pump about half way in the bucket? There will always be some fines get through, that would give them a place to settle to without getting picked up by the pump.
Bill

JFarmer

I bought a cooks sharpener about 4 years ago and it has for sure paid for itself. I have saved a bundle of money over the resharp because I dont have to pay the resharp service plus fuel of taking them there and going back after them.
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

Lee L

I just got a Cooks sharpener and duel setter and built a roller.  After years of making do with makeshift setups being able to sharpen to any specs I need is wonderful.  I have to now agree that resharp(done the right way) is better than new.

Thank You Sponsors!