iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whack O Cypress

Started by Magicman, February 02, 2012, 09:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

My two are on relatively high ground, and have not put up any knees. They also have modestly proportioned bases, which I am thankful for, whenever I do get around to milling them. Around here, a lot of people use mulch beds around their yard trees, which eliminates the need to mow.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Swell butts and knees are typical of trees that grow in and close to water.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chain

We have a couple of yard cypress one of which puts up knees everywhere; we've mowed them over so many times now they're like nubbins, nearly flat on the ground. The small leaves do make a very fine mulch.

I've planted several cypress seedlings in a lake area but the willow cover limits their growth. In times of flood the beaver will come in and snip an occasional sprig but so far have never cut the older cypress.

Magicman

Beavers will cut 6" saplings, but they will quickly butt sprout.  I had a 12' tree cut several years ago.  Today, it is the same height as the other trees and you can hardly tell that it suffered a beaver whacking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fat olde elf

Great stuff.... MM, you are THE Man......
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Finished.  12,103bf in 5 days sawing.  I also had 4.5 hours of "hourly rate" for some special stuff.   ;D

The last whack stack.

I left the sticker crew busy.

Bill Gaiche

Glad its them and not me. Good job MM. bg

WDH

You never have enough stickers  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

In addition to the "edging" stickers, I sawed a 20" SYP log (8') into nothing but stickers.  I would hate to have to drive all of the way back up there just to saw stickers.   :-\

sandhills

DanG MM, what did you do with all your free time?  ;)  :D

WDH

It must be nice to "Saw em and leave em."  Stacking and stickering lumber is a lot of work  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Silver_Eagle

Very impressive Magicman, thank you for sharing. Stories like this make me want to get back out there and go to work now.

Magicman

"Saw em and leave em" is the reason that I do portable sawmilling.   ;D 

eastberkshirecustoms

Norm

Now that's a bunch of sawing MM, nice job!

Magicman

Thanks guys.  My next "road trip" job is 100+ miles in the opposite direction and is supposed to be 80 logs.  If no rain, I will leave Wednesday, so we shall see.

Magicman

I had overlooked a couple of pictures of the largest log.  It had a butt flair that measured 45".

45" Cypress butt flair.

After it had been Bibbyed (gun barreled) down.  The bottom and lower right sides will be trimmed further as I rotate the log.

Cutting Edge

Hey MM, what happened to the "chaps" you bought for sawin' in?  Would have been a good time to give'm the debut!!!

Thanks for the pics...you weren't kiddin when you said you had a big job comin up.   

Quote from: eastberkshirecustoms on February 08, 2012, 12:39:44 AM
Quote from: Magicman on February 07, 2012, 11:13:01 PM
"Saw em and leave em"
You're kinda like a lumber gigalo  ;D

Gotta Love It!!!
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Magicman

Good observance.  The chaps were on and protected my jeans, but I do not know that I can give up the leather apron.   ;D

pineywoods

Here's todays whack o cypress.

Got some pecky boards out of one of the logs..hi dollar stuff

Here's the rest of the pile. All dry logs, been piled in the log yard for 1 to 2 years.  Sawing dry cypress is nothing like cutting the green stuff. About like sawing dry cedar..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

cypresskayaksllc

Who knows how many critters make that stack home. Nice looking pile.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Cypress is a fun wood to saw, especially above the butt flair.

I have one more Cypress job on my list.  There are about a dozen tree length, so the number of saw logs will depend upon the buck length.  I have seen the logs and they are nice.  The customer is building a new home, so I imagine that there will be some beams.   smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!