iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hit some lead! My first bullet...

Started by Ozarkian, February 19, 2012, 10:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozarkian

Was having a good day yesterday, admiring how much better the blades work now that I know how to sharpen them...  Then all of a sudden I hear this weird noise coming from the blade as it's cutting thru this old cedar log I was making some 1/2" x 6" boards out of. 

Here's what we found after lifting up to see what it was...

One of our dog's, a Beagle named "Ally".  Always sniffing around the Cedar, can't blame her...  It smell's amazing!

No damage was done to blade, and got a couple of really unique pieces with old bullets in em to go in my bathroom when we remodel!   ;D

-Ozarkian
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

Bill Gaiche

You probably wont find the shooter who shot the tree. I was running some erc through my drum sander this past week for a dresser and found a buckshot. It sanded smooth so I just left in there for character. bg

Magicman

Your first of many.  Wait until you hit nails and then you will have a different description of a "weird noise.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looking at your second pic reminds me of a Beagle I had once.....named OL' BULLET.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

Ozarkian, Great looking cedar. The last time I hit a bullet I left it there and used it in a finished project ;) Talk about a conversation starter when people saw it in there ;D. Tim

Riggs

I hit one in one of my first couple of logs, a wild cherry. I left the bullet in squared the board up to a 6" square and it now hangs in my office. Nice conversation starter.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

metalspinner

Teenswinger sawed a huge oak for me several years ago.  That tree must have been used for target practice for generations. ::)

When I was unloading the boards here at the house, my son had a feild day picking the bullets out of the boards.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Okrafarmer

Yeah, lead and copper are nowhere near as bad to hit as steel. Just wait until you hit your first horseshoe.
:o

And once I was sawing off an elm stump with my MS290 and cut clean through a one-inch rock in the middle of the tree. Now I know why they call it rock elm.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

kelLOGg

About 7 years ago I was sawing a 207(est) yr old oak and sliced thru 2 "bolts". It was among the first few trees I had ever sawn so I thought WOW! it went right thru 'em and I kept on sawing. Later I realized I didn't hit the rest of the "bolts" so they had to be lead bullets. If I had been more attentive to them (at the risk of losing focus on sawing) I would have noted where in the log they occurred and counted the rings to date the event. Civil War? Well, I had already racked them up to shed dry so I planned to examine every board a year later to find the two boards with the two half bullets. I could never find them. >:(   It would have been a great conversation piece. I have a cookie from the tree and I could have added a flag in the ring maybe saying "bullets 1863". Oh well.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!