iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ashtrol?

Started by MJD, February 25, 2012, 08:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJD

Does anyone no what else can be used beside ashtrol? How many use ashtrol? I have CB and ashtrol just seems a bit pricy just to clean a firebox.

sparky1

I was also wondering if the stuff even works??  I put it in mine, because it came with it. As far as the future goes though does it serve a great purpose?? my dealer told me he recomends it, but then in the same sentance he has customers that never used it.
Shaun J

AsaG

I use Ashtrol and figure it's just part of the cost of ownership but I know a few owners who claim it's nothing more than powdered lime in a sexy CB bottle.  And, still others, who claim it's all snake oil and use no firebox additive at all .  If I had to guess, I'd say Ashtol is probably Dolomitic hydrated lime with some extra stuff added for good measure.  IMO, it seems to help with corrosion and creosote but won't absolutely swear it's not in my imagination. 

doctorb

Never used it.  Don't have enough of a problem to consider using it.  Maybe that's a "head-in-the-sand" approach, but I don't see corrosion in my three year old stove, and I am used to handling the standard creosote that occurs by just burning it off.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

MJD

I used it for the 1st 6 years, not every day but a couple spoonfuls a week and the firebox had looked good. This season looks a little bit gumed up but have been burning sugar maple all season which has more sap than oak that ive burned other years. What I have been doing to get rid of some build up is after cleaning the ash out make a hot fire with kiln dried scrap from the woodshop and that seams to get it driping/ than burnt up.

mrcaptainbob

My wife is very conscientious in putting in the Ashtrol three times a week. She's been doing it for about seven ears now. I was under the impression that it controlled some sort of acids that would otherwise compromise the firebox walls. I did not know it was meant to control creosote. If so, then it doesn't work! I burn lots of green wood. Some times the day it's cut, it goes in the stove. Some times there's more creosote than others, but it always has a black coating in there that's a bit on the gummy side.

AsaG

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on February 25, 2012, 11:30:12 PM
I was under the impression that it controlled some sort of acids that would otherwise compromise the firebox walls.

The description for Ashtrol in the CB catalog states "Used as a furnace firebox pH modifier".  I believe you are correct, it's purpose is to help prevent corrosion of the firebox.  My dealer goes on about it also helping with creosote but I doubt it does much with creosote.   

talldog

I used it when my 2300 was new because it came with the boiler.This is my second season and I have run out of it.I intended to get more from my dealer,but he wasn't nearby and I never seem to travel by there.So,this year I haven't used it at all and see no difference inside the firebox.Maybe it just is not visible to me.I don't believe it does anything regarding creosote.

Copper-x

My dealer's brother is an engineer with Central Boiler. He walked me through the initial operation of the boiler [e-classic 1450], but he didn't mention ashtrol. I read through the manual and asked him about it. He told me that its for the ph of the ashes, but you shouldn't need it if you stir the ashes as described in the manual [not sure how that works]ยท He told me that ashtrol is basically the same as barn lime, which you can buy much cheaper from your local feed store.

talldog

Good to know Copper-X

treejoe

I only lived in a house for a month that didn't have wood heat, other than that I've used wood to heat my home for over 37 years. Never used the stuff. As far a creasote, I just get a hot bed of coals, throw a pop/beer can on them and let it melt. Theres a chemical in aluminum that causes creasote to powderise instead of gum up. The powder is then sucked up the stove pipe as it vents.
Just my two cence worth.

Thank You Sponsors!