iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello all!!

Started by thebckhntr, February 29, 2012, 04:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukndog

Welcome thebckhntr!!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Sixacresand

Welcome to the forum.  I don't remember any BBQ at Woodmizer Demo I went to.  LOL
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

markd

I havn't figured out  how to post pictures or my profile yet, I'm in the south end of willamette Valley, Markd
markd

Okrafarmer

My dad grew up in Junction City, and I have been as far south as Roseburg. Nice beautiful area!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, markd.  It seems that you have been kinda covered up, so how about an intro and telling us a bit about yourself and your sawing interest.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

markd

Thanks for the welcome you guys. I've had my mill for 6 yrs bought it from an 82 yr old man on the oregon coast, he wanted to switch to a mighty mite mill, something easier for him to operate. Mine is 50 inch blade and built on a 1960's school bus frame with a V6 gmc diesel also out of a school bus with the tranny and rearend driving the arbor with 5 v belts. it has a PTO driven hydraulic pump which runs the carriage. I'm not sure what make it is, maybe American?
  Great fun, I also have a Corley no 1 with a Buda 6 cyl diesel which is a project of mine. I hope to figure out how to post pictures, I like looking at all your pictures, it's great how many circle mill fanatics there are. I've learned alot in just a short time listening to you guys chat. I'm glad to be a part of it. Junction City is my closest town. I live in Alpine.   Markd
markd

Magicman

There are several "circles" on here.  Since my circle is in the shape of a band, I'll just sit back and listen.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

markd

Majicman, what kind of bandmill do you have? Lot's of bandmills around here, I'm the only local outcast. I would have probably got a band mill but I didn't want to hock the farm. Do you cut for others for hire? Mine is for my own personal use, and for a few friends not for pay though. markd
markd

markd

Oh, I just noticed a 98 miser, I'm a little slow! Markd
markd

Okrafarmer

Quote from: markd on March 03, 2012, 09:57:56 PMJunction City is my closest town. I live in Alpine.   Markd

My dad grew up on River Rd outside of Junction City. In the 40's and 50's, and maybe until the early to mid 60's my grandfather and great grandfather managed and operated Thistledown Farm for its owner at the time. I guess now it is sort of a local tourist attraction or at least a great place to go and pick berries and buy produce, or whatever, last I knew, in totally different ownership now of course. When my grandfather and great grandfather were there, it was just a diversified farm with beef cattle, sweet corn, wheat, English walnuts, and various other crops they would grow. After a storm, I believe it was, some of the walnut trees were damaged, and my dad and his brother went out and cut some of them and free-hand milled some lumber from them. My dad has hand-crafted several gun-stocks from that lumber over the years, including one on a Ruger 10-22 I have, and he still has some of it, I believe. He and my mom moved to Maine in 1977 and they moved to Kentucky two years ago.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

markd

Hey okrafarmer, I love crispy fried okra, yeah I'm an old southern boy from Alabama. Thanks for the history lesson on thistledown, I know the place well, do you really grow okra? what kind of mill do you have? We're cutting some doug fir here at the moment, they're weeds here, and will take over the farm. I grow wine grapes here and trees, we have 42 acres. I see your log truck in your picture do you log for a livin? Markd
markd

Okrafarmer

Quote from: markd on March 04, 2012, 11:06:38 AM
Hey okrafarmer, I love crispy fried okra, yeah I'm an old southern boy from Alabama. Thanks for the history lesson on thistledown, I know the place well, do you really grow okra? what kind of mill do you have? We're cutting some doug fir here at the moment, they're weeds here, and will take over the farm. I grow wine grapes here and trees, we have 42 acres. I see your log truck in your picture do you log for a livin? Markd

I grow okra and I used to grow enough to sell locally, casually, but not on a big scale. It's a great crop, it's drought resistant, weed resistant, highly productive, long-bearing, nutritious, delicious, and best of all, the wild hogs don't eat it.  :D

I'm glad you are familiar with Thistledown Farm, it's strange to talk to someone who lives near there, the last time I saw it was 1991 and then only briefly. My dad loved growing up there. He tells all kinds of stories about playing in that barn as a kid. He has a friend who has owned a service station along the highway in that area somewhere, maybe I-5, I'm not sure, I think the man's name is Glenn Christianson, though I am not sure about that and he may not have the service station any more. He had a son name Brad that would be roughly my age. But I really didn't know them. Met them once or twice.

Wish you could send me some nice doug fir lumber, it's really nice looking stuff and of course we don't have it here.  ;)

The log truck belongs to my boss, we do tree care, tree removal, small scale logging, small scale sawmilling with his Turner band mill, lumber sales, some part-time farming, bulldozing, and Bobcat work, among other things.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!