iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY logging,sawmilling

Started by treefarmer, January 16, 2001, 04:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer

I have 500 acres of woodland in south   central NY. the last sale was 20 years ago. It was marked by a consulting forester but it seems he highgraded it.Still, a small sale seems needed at this point on 100 acres. I have been attracted to portable sawmills, horse logging etc. I see advantages in that I could get some wood out of smaller trees, mostly hemlock, which I could not sell otherwise. I also could start thinning out some stands with up to 180 B.A. My question is this. Can a non-professional log, skid,forward , saw, and sell at prices which make sense in comparison with having a logger pay me for stumpage?
    I don´t have any idea of how to sell milled wood.

Ron Scott

If you don't have any experience in the timber harvesting and lumber milling business, even with a portable mill, I would still seek out a professional forester with knowledge in the business to work with and learn from. It would be a lot of work and front end investment to harvest the timber and then mill and dry the lumber and then market it at the current prices by species.  A professional consultant should be able to help you, but get references first. You might want to do it as hobby forestry, but learn all you can first.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Not only will the initial investment be heavy, so will the learning curve.

Timber cutting is hazardous, even for seasoned professionals.  That's not to say you can't learn.  A lot of local loggers won't carry wedges for felling.  I wouldn't be without one.

If you are planning to use horses, check into a couple of the sites on the Web.  They are a rather low investment, but need constant upkeep.  They would be good for skidding short distances.  You may want to consider mules.  Very low impact.

As for milling, those little band mills may be OK, but they won't give you much in production, and it is very easy to mess up the cuttings.  Miscut lumber ends up on the scrap heap.

In the long run, you may be better off selling the logs on the landing, if you want to cut your own.  You may even be able to find someone to cut the trees for you.

I'm in south central PA, so maybe I'm a little too far to give you much help.  Feel free to contact me.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

treefarmer

I had in mind getting a horse or mule logger to work alongside with and  a contract bandsaw operator.  I have been doing T:S:I: (with wedges)and chainsaw for years and did a game of logging introduction.  I need to find competent people to work with me for a week or two to get a feeling for what is involved.  I can´t go into this full time for a couple of years yet but want to get the basics.

Ron Scott

In the meantime there are a number of Logger Education and Sustainable Forestry Management courses provided by Colleges, Extension Services, etc. that you might want to take if they are convenient to you. These would be helpful. Also find some experienced people that might let you work along with them for awhile in areas where you want to improve your knowledge, skills, and abilities. It's hard to be "on the job training".
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!