iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM pro series sharpener and Cooks sharpener with pics.

Started by customsawyer, December 05, 2011, 12:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I keep 6 blades in rotation in my blade box.

I put the box in the truck whenever I go to saw lumber and all 6 blades are sharp to begin the day.

I keep track of my resharps by marking each blade, near the weld with a small engraver that I keep on my sharpening bench!  I do the 4 lines vertical, then a diagonal line across them to indicate 5 resharps.

Right now 4 of the 6 blades are marked 7 and 2 are marked 6.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

nas

Do you guys set before or after you sharpen?  I set before but the WM manual says to do it after and then you have to deburr the blade before you set it.  Any thoughts?

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

bugdust

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 08, 2011, 08:32:31 AM
How many re-sharps can you get from the .055 blades? I found three or four was about it.

Know a guy that ran an LT300. He'd re-sharp one time then pitch them. He didn't want to risk breaking a blade and having to stop to change it out.  Time was worth more than the blade.

Bibby, I delivered a load to a customer a few weeks back and he pointed out where a sawyer set up to saw for his neighbor last summer. He said the sawyer left a pile of used blades. He said the guy would toss the blade when dull. He told the neighbor it wasn't worth the hassle to resharp, he just bought new ones. This is a guy with more money than good sense.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Bibbyman

A neighbor bought a third hand WM LT40 with sharpener and setter. It came with several hundred once used blades. Neither of the first two owners sharpened the blades even though they had the equipment.

Go figure.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

nas I set after I sharpen and I don't worry about the burr. With the cooks sharpener if you zero out the dial indicators with the burr on and then add your amount of set with the burr on then your set should be the same on both sides. I know there is going to be some that disagree with me but it works on my set up.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

I SET before sharpening, that way I don't have to mess with the burr on the back side of the blade!

I've never seen any ill effects from doing it this way!

But I guess it's each to their own.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

I tried setting before but found setting after worked better for me. Seems the blade ran through the WM dual tooth setter likes the blade with oil on it.

Like WM ReSharp would work best, they do a heavy grind, then deburr and flatten some of the set out, then set, then do a final light grind.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

kelLOGg

Quote from: Chuck White on December 18, 2011, 07:08:14 PM
I keep track of my resharps by marking each blade, near the weld with a small engraver that I keep on my sharpening bench!  I do the 4 lines vertical, then a diagonal line across them to indicate 5 resharps.

A great idea, Chuck. I have started doing the same thing, plus I engrave the set on the band. It was such a problem to start setting a used band back to the original set and find that the side you started re-setting turns out to be less than the other side (perhaps due to tramp metal). So you are faced with either resetting the same side more or reducing the set on the other side.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

These are some pics I recently had uploaded to my gallery.

This is my setter.

This is my sharpener.

This is my blade box that I load into the back of the pickup each day.

The date on the photos is not correct.

Peter Drouin

Nice box you have there. that will keep the blades good till there needed :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Banjo picker

Yes Chuck I like the box....I have a box about the same size as that beside my sharpener where I keep my sharp bands, but I lay them down flat with a piece of cardboard in between each one...I label them wiht a sharpie as to weither they are for hardwood or pine....but I see the advantage of you system...I could see what blades are availiabe with out having to sift through those layers of cardboard and blades....think I will change my flat ways to vertical...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

Glad you guys like the box design, just made from scrap material I had laying around.

It's really hard to tell from the photos, but the bottom is not closed in, that way any oil or debris will just fall right through, there are just the 2 stickers running left to right that the blades rest on.

Also, you'll notice 2 arrows, one near each end of the box, one indicates dull and the other indicates sharp, when the teeth on the blade are pointing towards the front of the box the blade is dull (blade has been inverted) and when the teeth are pointing towards the back of the box the blade is sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!